Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Help with motivation

LO

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 9:18 pm
My son is turning 3 in September and I figured it's a good time to train him since we are all at home anyway, no morahs to deal with, etc. It's been about a month now. In the beginning, he was pretty good about going on the potty, but now he started resisting it because he is simply too busy playing to go. If I tell him "after you make we can go outside", he starts arguing and telling me that he will not make an accident on the grass.....and then, of course, has an accident on the grass.... Can't Believe It . We offer him nosh as a prize after he makes, which does motivate him sometimes. I also (on someone's advice) just bought an egg timer and told him that when it beeps, it's time to go make....not sure yet how much this will help.

I don't want to make this into a negative experience and I really don't want to stop now, once we already invested so much time. But on the other hand, I don't like it that I always have to remind him to go, he does not tell me himself, even though he starts holding himself and I think he is totally aware...

I did train my girls at an older age and I know it would go easier if I would wait, but I would love to just get it out of the way - once this quarantine is over I definitely do NOT want to stay home for toilet training LOL....

Any advice?

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 9:47 pm
My advice is make everything into a song. Each child is different . I recently trained my son who will be 3 in Sept. He is smart adorable and very verbal. I was trying on and off since Purim. Anyway. Major positive reinforcement. Sing a song " hurray for M hurray for M. M is a big boy Hurray Hurray. M makes in the toilet. He gets a chocolate he wears underwear. No more diapers!. Sing sing sing until it goes into his psych.
I am blessed. He is toilet trained. We did have a few accidents in the beginning but BH he is doing great now!! I am so relieved and so proud of him! All my kids were trained by this age, so for me this isn't early.

essie14

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 1:36 am
My pediatrician and my child's morah both said to wait (she turned 3 in April). My DD has ZERO interest. I put her on the toilet every day before her bath, she jumps off. I ask her several times a day if she wants to make in the toilet, she says no. I offer chocolate chips and whenever she does sit for more than 2 seconds I praise her. She still shows no interest. So I have to wait....
Everyone says that when kids are interested, you can train them in 2 days. I also really hoped to get it done over the lockdown but she's already back at gan and still in diapers Sad

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 1:49 am
I have two children to train. A 5 year old with special needs, who completely fell back during the crisis, and a typical boy over three years who absolutely couldn't care less.
Nosh, songs and praises don't help. He gets excited for get them but keeps dirtying his panties randomly.
I'm not up to constantly cleaning up the dirty floors when they totally don't care about getting trained.
What should I do in this situation?

LO

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 8:09 am
Thanks ladies! Anyone else? Would love some advice!

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 9:11 am
I would suggest letting it go for now. Kids feel it when you're pressuring them and davka won't go. A reminder here and there is ok but stop focusing on it. They'll go when they're ready.
My son was 2 and 10 months when I officially trained him. He was going pretty consistently and just needed an extra push. Kept him naked and within a few days he was fully trained because he was ready.

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 9:23 am
Yes, I’d wait. Not even 3 is young for a boy especially if he’s not showing interest. At the right time you won’t have to give him tons of external motivation.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 12:31 am
What about for me? My son is 4 years, 2 months and absolutely not interested.

He's smart and quite stubborn, and whenever I even mention potty training, he says, "I will never make in the toilet" and laughs, so I've stopped mentioning it.

However, I"m hoping to send him to kindergarten in Sept (PLEASE G-D!!!) and they require that he be toilet trained. So I don't know how to get him to that point.

In the past, I did try twice, last time being March 2020. He can pee in the toilet if he's naked, but he hasn't been able to get the poop out on demand. But when he's clothed or in underwear, he refuses to go to the toilet and just poops/pees in it.

I'm going crazy from it - he's big and it's so icky.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 12:36 am
I’m going through similar with a dd also turning three in September. She is showing some signs of readiness but doesn’t want to sit on the potty. So what now?

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 3:27 am
I don't have a gaggle of children so I don't have vast experience with many different personalities.
I put her in underwear and water shoes and I took a little plastic potty out to the backyard.
We practiced sitting on it and made a pishy. Then we played and I reminded her to sit on the potty. Sometimes she made, sometimes we read a book and didn't make at all, and sometimes we had an accident and she felt wet and didn't like it (but it was on grass and I could and did change her easily) it took about 2-3 days.
Once again, it may be the child.
She was also young, 22 months and wanted to be like her big sister (who did not train quite so easily-but I was in an apartment with her and I was 7 months pregnant and less patience).
The negative was she wanted to use the toilet everywhere we went, anytime we went anywhere (Amazing Savings, Shoprite, Costco, the butcher, her sister's school at carpool time, ACMoore, the shoe store, the children's place, everyone's house.... she loved going to all the different bathrooms and the minute we entered a store she would announce "me have pishy" even though she had gone to the bathroom 10 minutes earlier in the previous location.
Good luck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training