Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Interesting perspective

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 12:31 pm
Here I am, as a healthcare worker, working in an n95 mask all day. Can't breathe, have marks on my face, and feel like the bridge of my nose is going to collapse. I am incredibly grateful to have appropriate PPE. I leave work concerned about having been exposed and bringing the virus home.
I davening to Hashem to please keep my family safe, and I do everything in my power, to do my histadlut, to limit exposure for me and my family-because ain somchim al haness.
When I speak to the doctors about recovery rates and the lack of success of treatments, I worry and their sentiment is the same. The wear on some of the staff is astounding, the heartbreak and dispair of having lost patient after patient has aged some of the staff and deeply affected their personalities and demeanor.

I come here, and I hear complaints about how the doctors are not doing enough, the hospitals are so mean, how the yidden are discriminated against, how unjust it is that the police broke up a public carnival, how Lag ba'Omer men had a bonfire and were dancing holding hands, underground schools and minyan ... and how horrible it is that someone "ratted them out". And now how 200 Brooklyn stores are going to open against the law.

All this is such a juxtaposition and has really challenged my ahavat yisrael and ability to see the best in others. But it is something for me to work on. We teach our children to respect others who have opinions different than their own, or do things different from how they would and here is an opportunity for me to practice what I teach.

I am appreciative of the community I live in and the stance our Rebbeyim have taken.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 12:40 pm
As the mother of a health care worker
Thank you with all my heart.

amother
Red

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 12:49 pm
Thank you for all that you do. My dh is also a health care worker and puts himself at risk every day. We have a child who is a cancer survivor and we are always worried what if my dh is not only exposed himself but exposed our family/child? How would this child's immune system handle it?

Very scary and it has been hard to see people scoff at this disease and claim it is all an agenda or conspiracy to keep us home and hurt us financially. Even with all the names of the niftar being published, people still think its not real and dangerous? Even with the cases that have spread like wildfire, people think its not contagious?

I don't get it at all, but I am trying not to let it make me bitter against fellow Jews.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 12:49 pm
Thanks for your kindness.

Where do you live may I ask?

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 12:51 pm
Thank you for saying that. I understand the 200 stories opening but it left me scared and feeling sick to read about it. I’m glad you said what I was afraid to. Also mother of health care workers. Praying you all stay safe.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 12:58 pm
Thanks for all you do.
As a mom to an immunocompromised toddler (on chemo & other very complex health issues) it all seems very confusing. I’m not supporting going wild and protesting, but I do understand the mental need to “live” a little, and it would be wonderful if there were more clear guidelines and some kind of reprieve so to speak.

ETA we’ve been home home (minus clinic visits & emergencies) and are not anticipating to be ‘released‘ soon. But in areas that have been hard hit in the beginning should imho start opening up at this point before ch’v the fall wave hits, cuz otherwise at that point NO-ONE will stay quarantined then...

CiCi

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 1:08 pm
We really appreciate your service. Hashem should repay you with many brochos and health for you and your family.

Do you believe that all nurses and hospital personnel and management are as dedicated as you? There are all kinds of people working in this field. And it was numerous nurses and doctors themselves who spoke out against the hospital situation and medical protocol for Covid-19.

Also, you can't expect people to stop living when they feel it's time to start living. There are scientists with different shittas, doctors with different shittas, politicians with different shittas...and people with different shittas.

leah233

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 1:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

(1)I come here, and I hear complaints about how the doctors are not doing enough, the hospitals are so mean, how the yidden are discriminated against,(2) how unjust it is that the police broke up a public carnival, how Lag ba'Omer men had a bonfire and were dancing holding hands, (3)underground schools and minyan ... and how horrible it is that someone "ratted them out". And now how 200 Brooklyn stores are going to open against the law.

(1)Those complaints were primarily from the early days of coronavirus when social distancing was being taken very seriously by almost all

(2)calling a few kids selling snacks a "public carnival" is a major stretch. If the police were also so worried about fighting other more serious crimes in general and cracking down on bigger failures to social distance elsewhere there wouldn't be so much resentment

(3)there comes a point in time when people who don't see any significant threat in thier behavior start resenting and fighting those who are forcing very onerous rules on them to avoid that threat. This reaction is not by any strech unique to the frum world

amother
Gold

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 1:58 pm
I'm a nurse in Israel, we have not been got hard by Corona, and we only have to wear the surgical masks not the N95 which I am.very grateful for. I'm also grateful that I have a guaranteed income in this time, bit I really worry about those that don't. I worry more about the impact on the poor and vulnerable than I do for Corona. I'm for opening things up.

BH Yom Yom

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 3:13 pm
Thank you for your dedication and commitment to helping those in need of medical care. May you and your family and colleagues always be gebentched, safe, healthy and appreciated.

zaq

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 6:40 pm
OP, I salute you and pray for you, for my loved ones who work in health care, and for all essential workers, but most especially for hospital workers. I can't read imamother corona threads any more because the imamother complaints and demands and accusations and disrespect and complete lack of understanding or compassion for people like you who are putting your lives on the line every day make me sick and send my blood pressure into the stratosphere.

Hang in there, love. Gam zeh yaaavor. We just don't know when.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 6:44 pm
Sorry to derail the thread but have there been chemotherapy treatments all along? Was that considered elective care?

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 7:09 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Sorry to derail the thread but have there been chemotherapy treatments all along? Was that considered elective care?

Our clinic was up and running for infusions. Most other appts were local lab & telehealth though

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:38 am
Chemo, Dialysis, infusions, cardiac, L&D .... were all always up and running.
You could not have your scheduled hip replacement, annual mammogram, or anything else non-urgent with flexible scheduling.

Thank you to everyone with kind words.
To address some of the questions above, I have seen healthcare workers who are more timid and fearful (and therefore more hesitant), and some who are more comfortable and confident, but I personally have not encountered one single person who was lazy or uncaring. Every single person was doing their personal best. Was one person's best as good as someone else's? No, but they were doing their best in a very difficult situation.

Regarding my location- Bergen County, NJ.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics