Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Dds sharing a room

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 11:14 pm
I need real help! I have written about this before, but it got worse. Two dds sharing a room because of corona. They must share- there is nowhere else for either to sleep. There is a cot available in the basement, but both are afraid to sleep down there, so far away from us. And the main living areas are also no gos.

They are sensory opposites. One must have light, and the other needs dark and can't sleep with a mask on or the covers over her head. One needs white noise to fall asleep and can'tfall asleep with anything on or in her ears, and the other can't tolerate being in a room where it is on. And because of corona, they are going to bed around the same time. And one has a schedule that lets her wake up later, but she can't, because the other needs to be up earlier and can only wake up with a very loud alarm.

One of my dds is now getting too little sleep and developing behavior problems because of it. Now what?

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 11:17 pm
Get a portable partition. It's like a portable wall you can put do divide the room.
I've also seen bed tents that you put over the bed for privacy.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 11:35 pm
Thanks. It doesn't solve the sound problem, which is actually the biggest problem. Because dd can't stand to be in the room when the white noise is on even if she's not goong to sleep yet.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 11:36 pm
If I remember your previous post, they used to sleep in separate rooms because you usually have an older child away at school/yeshiva, right? Can the older child take over the basement and the two girls go back to separate rooms?

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 11:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. It doesn't solve the sound problem, which is actually the biggest problem. Because dd can't stand to be in the room when the white noise is on even if she's not goong to sleep yet.

Can she wear earplugs to block out the noise?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 12:05 am
Rutabaga wrote:
If I remember your previous post, they used to sleep in separate rooms because you usually have an older child away at school/yeshiva, right? Can the older child take over the basement and the two girls go back to separate rooms?

Good memory! I wish. The basement has no doors, and people use it- it's also dh's office while he works from home. The only way one of the girls could use it is just to sleep, and then would use the shared room for everything else. Ds would have no room at all.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 12:09 am
Is it an option to do a bit construction and make a small room off a large room? (Like dining or living room.)
I made a baby room off my dining room, we had a wall and door built.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 3:16 pm
How about every child gets her way on alternate nights, so at least each gets a decent nights sleep every second day.

Last edited by amother on Sat, May 08 2021, 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Plum

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 3:32 pm
For the white noise, find a machine you can put under her pillow to both muffle it and allow a lower volume.

Try a tent around the one who needs light maybe with a small Nightlight inside it.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 3:35 pm
That sounds so tough!
Just some thoughts...
Can you put up drywall to divide the room into two?
Would your DD who can't stand white noise, mind music or a story? Would that help your other DD?
I don't know their ages, or what time they are going to sleep or waking up, but is it possible for the one who needs more sleep to go to bed earlier? Can the early riser learn to be quieter while getting up? Can you wake her, so that the alarm doesn't wake your other DD? Maybe a vibrating alarm would work?
Would it be an option for one of them to move to a different room? With DS? Or if there are other siblings? Can they be shuffled around?
This sounds so all around frustrating! Good luck in figuring it out!

challahchallah

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 3:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Good memory! I wish. The basement has no doors, and people use it- it's also dh's office while he works from home. The only way one of the girls could use it is just to sleep, and then would use the shared room for everything else. Ds would have no room at all.

What if DS used the basement just to sleep, but his room for everything else. Then the girls share a room, but one goes in DS’s room just for sleep?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics