Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Please Help! My teeth are terrible and unsightly and eroded.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 7:44 pm
Throughout my pregnancies I had a morning sickness which lasted all 9 months, had me vomiting several times a day.

My teeth are destroyed. They have been eroded so that they are literally half their original length and thickness.

It has gotten that bad that I am uncomfortable smiling because I don't want my teeth to show. Also, They are super sensitive and I would not be surviving without sensodyne so definitely too painful to whiten and anyhow my teeth would look weird even if they were whiter.

Can anyone weigh in or advise?

Please dont tell me it doesnt matter. I know technically appearances are unimportant and don’t last. But I am really self conscious about this , especially as people randomly comment often...

Einikel

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 7:45 pm
I don’t have experience but have you looked into veneers?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 7:45 pm
Have you spoken to your dentist? I'm in a similar boat, my teeth are absolutely terrible we just don't have the extra money to get them fixed yet. But I know there are things a dentist can do to help.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 8:14 pm
Mine weren't as bad as you describe yours but they were def not too pretty And painful too.
I swished coconut oil in my mouth for 15 minutes every night for a few months and it made my teeth way less sensitive And also brightened Then. Then I added in Uncle Harry's remineralization liquid every night and I found that gave an extra boost.

Ellie7

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 9:12 pm
It totally matters. Talk to your dentist and maybe even do a consultation or two at a cosmetic dentist. The consultations are generally free and then you’ll probably have a sense of what your options are.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 9:29 pm
Thank you for all the responses. I guess I need to start researching dentists. I am concerned it will be more than I can afford so will have to figure that out too.

Any recommendations in or near Lakewood?

amother
Coral

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 11:09 pm
Op I totally get you.
I almost lost a tooth recently. Bh I didn't but I was conoletely DISTRAUGHT about it. It robbed my of my sleep. And I'm not a vain person
A nice smile is very important. I cannot image what it must be like for you.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 11:38 pm
Thanks OP for starting this thread.
I'd like recommendations in Monsey.
Mustard, I do coconut too, but I didn't see much results. I'm taking K2 as well. What is Uncle Harry product?

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 12:38 am
It is totally fixable but it will be expensive if it's as bad as you say it is.
I don't have morning sickness but for some reason pregnancy destroys my teeth. Maybe it has to do with my eating habits during that time?
I'm waiting until June for my dentist appointment and I'm going to need extensive work done. I'm very scared to find out how much it is going to cost.

zaq

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 9:47 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
It is totally fixable but it will be expensive if it's as bad as you say it is.
I don't have morning sickness but for some reason pregnancy destroys my teeth. Maybe it has to do with my eating habits during that time?
I'm waiting until June for my dentist appointment and I'm going to need extensive work done. I'm very scared to find out how much it is going to cost.

If you don't consume enough vitamin D and calcium during pregnancy, the developing fetus will take calcium from your bones and teeth. historically, the saying went that you lost a tooth for every child. Speak to your dentist; ask your obstetrician about vitamin D and calcium supplementation (do NOT supplement on your own); and start liking sunshine, milk, cheese, tofu, calcium-fortified soy milk and other calcium-fortified foods. Also, later in pregnancy your connective tissue starts to soften preparatory to labor, and that can loosen teeth.

Of course if you consume a lot of sugar and acidic foods in pregnancy and snack more often without rinsing out your mouth afterwards, that will also contribute to tooth decay.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 11:24 am
I completely understand as there are both the cosmetic as well as the health aspects of having poor teeth.

My teeth were in terrible shape as well for a variety of reasons and I was extremely self conscious as I tried to avoid smiling.

The reality is that people's teeth are really a sign of one's class and social background. Every middle class child will have orthodontic work if necessary. Middle class people don't have missing teeth and increasingly middle class people don't have dentures but will spend money for implants as necessary.

Judging from OP's post, her teeth are also damaged so they are at risk of becoming even worse as the protective enamel has worn off so they will decay even more and eventually have to be extracted because they are beyond saving.

Unfortunately good dental work is expensive. I recently had all my mouth repaired and my joke is that I now have a Mercedes in my mouth. LOL LOL Sad

My new mouth is beautiful but not so beautiful that it looks like "Hollywood chiclets' because my dentist was a real artist in terms of making sure the size, shape and color of the teeth looked natural and fit my mouth and face.

Each restored tooth can cost between $2000 and $5000 depending on what you need to have done.

Root canal for teeth about $2000 each - depends on some extent on how many roots
Implant by oral surgeon - about $1500 depending on whether one needs graft. This is just for the implant itself and not the restoration
Crown - needed if you have an implant or needed if the tooth was saved but needs restoration for health and cosmetic reasons - $2000 to $2500
Other costs included having mold made of my mouth and the cost of temporary teeth because if one gets an implant one doesn't get the crown right away.

SingALong

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 11:33 am
I recently did porcelain veneers with dr Glatt of ocean dental expressions on rt 9 south in Lakewood. A lot of his patients are older and need a lot of delicate dental work. I had an amazing experience there.
It wasn’t cheap though, about $1000 per tooth plus Some other fees.

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 30 2020, 10:42 pm
Thank you all so so so much for the replies. I really appreciate all the information and validation. All the posts are really super helpful and I genuinely appreciate each one. Means a lot to me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics