Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Minyans now allowed in NY State
Previous  1  2  3

mig100

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 9:51 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
I think it has been abundantly clear that many, many, many Americans don't make safe choices when given autonomy (or when they choose to practice autonomy despite the law). This puts those who do wish to make safe choices in a very difficult situation, as other people are effectively undermining those choices.

This

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 9:55 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Given the amount of whining here, it’s shocking no one considered this relevant enough to post. Religious services of up to 10 people, with masks and social distancing, are now allowed.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/20/.....n-ny/

please skip the word now
minyanim were never illegal
strong discouraged by some though. but not illegal

sky

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 12:56 pm
So a shul that normally services 300 ppl at services has the same limit as a shul that normally services 30?

I would think the spaces would be larger allowing for more ppl at a time
If stores can limit based on capacity shouldn't religious institutions.

How does this make sense? IT feels like overstepping.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 9:06 pm
Not reading the whole thread, but:

I am really freaked out by this. My husband is very high risk, and we have an infant - our first, B"H. We found out after Shabbos that our shul is planning to have a minyan for Shavuot, and I was encouraged to come with the baby to hear the 10 Commandments! De facto, they are planning to have more than 10 people. And we go to one of those basement shuls where even 10 would be basically impossible to keep 6 feet apart. I mean, maybe if no one ever moved from their appointed spot? (Absolutely not going to happen.) I'm definitely not going, and I am afraid that my husband will go against my wishes. And then what do I do?!?!

Our shul has been closed since March, and I am really shocked that they would go against the current guidelines. It really makes me question our Rabbi and Rebitzen's judgement, which is a difficult place to be.

soap suds

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 9:24 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Not reading the whole thread, but:

I am really freaked out by this. My husband is very high risk, and we have an infant - our first, B"H. We found out after Shabbos that our shul is planning to have a minyan for Shavuot, and I was encouraged to come with the baby to hear the 10 Commandments! De facto, they are planning to have more than 10 people. And we go to one of those basement shuls where even 10 would be basically impossible to keep 6 feet apart. I mean, maybe if no one ever moved from their appointed spot? (Absolutely not going to happen.) I'm definitely not going, and I am afraid that my husband will go against my wishes. And then what do I do?!?!

Our shul has been closed since March, and I am really shocked that they would go against the current guidelines. It really makes me question our Rabbi and Rebitzen's judgement, which is a difficult place to be.

If your husband is hig-risk he - and you - definitely shouldn't go.

soap suds

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 9:27 pm
sky wrote:
So a shul that normally services 300 ppl at services has the same limit as a shul that normally services 30?

I would think the spaces would be larger allowing for more ppl at a time
If stores can limit based on capacity shouldn't religious institutions.

How does this make sense? IT feels like overstepping.

It doesn't make any sense at all! And then people wonder why we "break the law". If the rules were based on "facts and science" as some governor's like to say, this wouldn't be happening.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 9:31 pm
soap suds wrote:
If your husband is hig-risk he - and you - definitely shouldn't go.

I totally agree! And I think my husband agrees, but I am afraid he will go, and then I don't know what I should do. Ugh. I honestly just wish they would have left the shuls closed. I'm sorry, I know minyanim are important, but apparently, people can't follow guidlines and it's either all or nothing.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 10:41 pm
sorry you are stressed

people can follow guidelines, most people are far from foolish and are responsible mature adults.

some minyanim are very strict and require registration for preplanned spots and agreement to the rules

I would find somewhere to attend that is operating like that given your situation, or your rov may tell you not to go if high risk, have your husband ask his rov.

You are going to have to speak with your husband and come to some agreement. This would happen regardless at some point. Best to do it now.

hugs and hatzlocha
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics