Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How would you furnish this room?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 10:46 am
We live in Israel and have a pretty large main room (living room/dining room) compared to what is typical here. We have one couch in it now, from Ikea, but need something else in addition in order to have enough seating--and we have the room with an empty wall perpendicular to wear the couch is now.

I was thinking a matching loveseat to the couch we already have would look the most normal in the room.

HOWEVER when I went to the Ikea Israel website, I couldn't find the loveseat. It seems they sell it in the US but not here. What to do?

I know I can get two armchairs and maybe that would theoretically look good too, but with the amount of living and mess-making that happens with my kids I feel like the chairs would probably almost never be in place but would end up being pushed all over the room (unlike a couch/loveseat which is easier to keep against a wall and less likely for someone to push to random places either mistake or on purpose).

Anyway.... WWYD?

Another identical couch? That would look funny, no?

Something completely different? Could it look nice? How to find just the right mix/match?

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas!

banana123

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 10:49 am
A loveseat similar in shape to the couch, and buy them matching slipcovers.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:07 am
How old are your kids? Would it make sense to do bean bag chairs or toy chests with cushions on top as a bench +storage?

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:14 am
I have 2 identical couches in my living room against 2 perpendicular walls. We had the space for 2 full size couches and figured we might as well get the additional seating.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:18 am
A big arm chair

mommyhood

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:24 am
If you have the room I would def do a second full size matching couch. We only went with a loveseat because of space but the more seating the better. Chairs give even less seating than a loveseat and were always moved and messy in my house.

twizzlers1

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:29 am
When we lived in America and had more space we had two three seaters and we loved it. We find that three and a two is never enough for all of us.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:42 am
Two couches can look great, but I like having chairs as well.

I don’t care for the matchy matchy look of identical pieces. Select coordinating and complementary shapes and fabrics.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 3:58 am
Hi all,

So I probably should have added originally, the couch we have is the Ikea Stocksund in blue (I'm sorry I don't know how to post a link). It's a nice burst of color and style against the white walls and neutral tiles.

But I wonder if that changes the opinion of those of you who think two couches look fine? Would having two of them take away from the look? It's not like it's a cozy brown leather couch that having two couches is basically the same look as a sectional--I don't think this type is generally made in sectional shape.

Re finding a loveseat in a similar shape and then finding matching fabric, or finding something not from Ikea that coordinates--I totally agree those are great suggestions! Like you said SixOfWands I think part of my hesitation is being too matchy-matchy... I love the mix-n-match look. But I'm afraid that I don't have the resources (time, stores nearby, money, decisiveness/confidence/designing ability) to really do that. I feel like practically speaking I'm basically stuck with what I can order from Ikea. Sigh.

Re the bean bag/toy chest suggestion--my kids are 9 and down. I wouldn't do toy chest because I've been keeping toys out of the living room (also I think it would get used for storage if I'm lucky, but nobody would actually want to sit on it) but I did consider bean bags. But I think they would need to be really big to really work. Like I see extra large beanbags on Wayfair. I feel like people would have to really be able to stretch out/fit more than one person on a beanbag for it to really work look wise and practically--we seem to do a lot of heaping together on the one couch we have (reading books to kids, or kids doing activities together). Regular small seater beanbags would just fly around the room. They'd help a bit with the seating problem though. Individual kids would sit and read. I guess I'd do that if I really feel I can't go with two couches. But it probably wouldn't be great decor, and it wouldn't really help when adults come to visit and there's nowhere to sit other than a folding chair.

Anyone have any more thoughts or suggestions? If I do go with two identical couches, is there a way to make it look better with throw pillows?

Rappel

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 4:12 am
You can get different couch, and coordinate them with pillows which pick up on each others' colours

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 4:18 am
Thanks Rappel! Browsing Ikea now... I don't see any that seem the same "type"... they are all more the cushy-upholstery to the floor type, or more modernistic...

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 4:30 am
Or maybe I see one that can work... (Harlanda... don't know if it is available in loveseat form in Israel.)

What do you guys think? Can I put adjacent to each other a couch with feet and a loveseat with upholstery to the floor (not sure how better to describe), and the room still look normal?

I am realising that even though I technically do have room for a couch, the room would really work a lot better with a loveseat... there's a hallway there that I want open access too and not to feel crowded.

Teomima

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 5:22 am
Are you renting or do you own? I ask because if you own, and won't be moving elsewhere in the near future where it might not fit, I'd probably just replace the current couch with a large L-shaped one.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 6:13 am
Thanks Teomima... we are renting. And will actually probably move within the year.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 8:03 am
Both couches should have feet. It won’t look right otherwise. You could do a gray couch with pillows in patterns of blue, teal, navy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics