Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
So stupid not to have summer camp
Previous  1  2

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 7:32 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
DiBlasio is very much aware of what NYC needs to do enter phase 1. He understands the trends and data, and most importantly, knows where NYC is with contact tracers. He has as good a feel for when it will happen as anyone, including Cuomo.

I know that the right has decided that it’s all political, but that’s just a talking point to convince people that 100,000 dead in 3 months isn’t so bad. It’s clearly worked here. But the parameters are set. NYC just has to meet them. No feud between DiBlasio and Cuomo is going to change that.

And of course the goal has always been reducing deaths. If the calculus was the same number of deaths over a shorter or longer period, social distancing would be worthless. We need to flatten the curve to allow the health care system to function. But a clear secondary point is to give researchers time to develop treatment strategies. For example, we now know that patients may be suffering from oxygen deficiencies without knowing it. We know to recommend prone placement. You’re better off getting sick today than you were in March, and most likely you’ll be much better off next fall than today.

Exactly. It’s the “right” who’s making things up to convince us it’s all political. Did it ever occur to you that it’s the “left” making things up?

I’m not a very political person. Nobody convinced me of anything. I, with my very own brain, was able to realize on my own that locking down after the curve has already been flattened is a political game led by incompetent people.

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 7:47 am
My concern about camp is not that a bunch of local teens and younger kids who were all either exposed together or not exposed together form a camp but if kids travel to attend camp, then what's the infection rate where they came from? I would think that the virus loves to travel and find a fresh group of hosts.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 7:51 am
southernbubby wrote:
My concern about camp is not that a bunch of local teens and younger kids who were all either exposed together or not exposed together form a camp but if kids travel to attend camp, then what's the infection rate where they came from? I would think that the virus loves to travel and find a fresh group of hosts.

Basically camps should be open only for kids from hard hit areas, or kids should stay in their general geographic location for camp.

The fact is New York kids for the most part are sick and tired of SD and giving up on it- with or without their parents’ consent. It will be 10x worse once any semblance of structure from school is over. Getting them to camp can’t make things any worse for them. At least there they’re not infecting families or people in the supermarket when they insist on playing basketball with friends.

Maybe less hit communities are better off keeping their kids home.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 7:53 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Basically camps should be open only for kids from hard hit areas, or kids should stay in their general geographic location for camp.

The fact is New York kids for the most part are sick and tired of SD and giving up on it- with or without their parents’ consent. It will be 10x worse once any semblance of structure from school is over. Getting them to camp can’t make things any worse for them. At least there they’re not infecting families or people in the supermarket when they insist on playing basketball with friends.

Maybe less hit communities are better off keeping their kids home.

Reading this, I have to ask: Can you understand why the locals are leery about thousands of campers invading if this is the attitude?
ETA: I would have pm'd you had I been able to.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 8:09 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Reading this, I have to ask: Can you understand why the locals are leery about thousands of campers invading if this is the attitude?

Yes, which is why if there is camp it 100% needs to be self contained.

There shouldn’t be Walmart or pizza trips.

Some locals can make nice money for themselves doing Walmart pickups and deliveries at the camp gates.

All medical situations should be brought back down to the city if they can’t be dealt with within camp.

I’m taking all this as a given for camp to open.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 8:47 am
When you vote next time, remember that Democrats care more about rent strikes than education and getting back to work.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 8:54 am
PinkFridge wrote:

Exactly. In order to put things into perspective, I usually ask people to think about if the shoe would be on the other foot. Let's pretend for a moment that we've had very few cases of COVID19 in our midst, and then a group from the epicenter of the virus wants to transplant themselves into our area for two months' time. Even if they promise to be mostly closed off to the town, do you think we would be welcoming them or agreeing to their presence?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 8:58 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Yes, which is why if there is camp it 100% needs to be self contained.

There shouldn’t be Walmart or pizza trips.

Some locals can make nice money for themselves doing Walmart pickups and deliveries at the camp gates.

All medical situations should be brought back down to the city if they can’t be dealt with within camp.

I’m taking all this as a given for camp to open.

As long as it's doable.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics