Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
What is lunch pick up? Not from U.S
Previous  1  2  3

OBnursemom

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 4:13 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Honestly, you were the one nitpicking her post.

She said that there people are lining up in luxury cars.

And you replied 'Minivans are considered luxury cars? Who knew?'.

There was no reason to assume she was talking about minivans.

Seriously. She’s looking at what other people have and judging them. But I’m nitpicking. Good to know.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 4:42 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
Seriously. She’s looking at what other people have and judging them. But I’m nitpicking. Good to know.

What? How did I judge anyone? Are you mixing up posters? For all you know I’m one of those with the luxury cars.

DrMom

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 4:48 pm
If the govt just hands out food to every child, regardless of family income, then why do so many people here care if people who come and get this food are rich in poor?

The govt clearly doesn’t.

Is this let's-give-all-kids-lunch program part of the lockdown policy? Or did it pre-date the pandemic?

OBnursemom

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 4:51 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
What? How did I judge anyone? Are you mixing up posters? For all you know I’m one of those with the luxury cars.

I had to go back and read the colors. I think I was responding to the post of aquamarine’s you posted. I couldn’t find her post though, so I just made it stand alone. I think. It’s hard to be sure.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 4:54 pm
DrMom wrote:
If the govt just hands out food to every child, regardless of family income, then why do so many people here care if people who come and get this food are rich in poor?

Is this let's-give-all-kids-lunch program part of the lockdown policy? Or did it pre-date the pandemic?

In Lakewood depends on school
Some of my kids are schools with middle class working families. So if eligible it’s free otherwise pay for lunch. Breakfast is free for everyone.

Other of my kids are in a school with mainly poorer families. Bec most families are eligible the entire school is eligible.
Many schools the entire school is eligible.
In the summer schools (with no camps) serve meals without asking any questions.

The lunch programs carry over to camps that rent the space.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 4:59 pm
DrMom wrote:

No, before lockdown you had to be income eligible for free lunches. My guess is most families in my kids’ schools aren’t eligible. I definitely don’t care who gets it, rich or poor. The school sends out emails that everyone should come get, regardless of whether they are income eligible.

keym

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 5:04 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
No, before lockdown you had to be income eligible for free lunches. My guess is most families in my kids’ schools aren’t eligible. I definitely don’t care who gets it, rich or poor. The school sends out emails that everyone should come get, regardless of whether they are income eligible.

I'm not sure that's true.
Some of my kids schools have received grants for the Universal Lunch Program or something in which all children are eligible for free breakfast/snack and lunch. Camps that rent space in those schools are eligible for free food for everyone in the summer.
Other schools aren't eligible for the grant, and they have free and reduced lunches for those eligible.
But I really don't think it's based on how wealthy the parent body is.

Reality

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 5:19 pm
NYC public schools switched to Universal Free Lunch so that poor kids shouldn't feel shame in receiving free lunch. I'm not sure if that carried over to the yeshivas.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 5:19 pm
keym wrote:
I'm not sure that's true.
Some of my kids schools have received grants for the Universal Lunch Program or something in which all children are eligiable for free breakfast/snack and lunch. Camps that rent space in those schools are eligible for free food for everyone in the summer.
Other schools aren't eligible for the grant, and they have free and reduced lunches for those eligible.
But I really don't think it's based on how wealthy the parent body is.

In the U.S. it is. It falls under Title 1 (which is federal) legislation. So, in a public school, anyone can get lunch, but whether you get for free, reduced price, or regular price (which is probably around $2.50) depends on income eligibility.
Due to extreme current circumstances, that has been relaxed, and all children are eligible to pick up food for free regardless of income.
Food for adults is different and that will vary by state (and is financed on a local government level).
Of course, rule #1 in economics, there is no such thing as a free lunch, so yeah, the government will be looking to recoup the money in taxes.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 5:22 pm
I live in Monsey. We get food for our school children dropped off each morning at our door. Friday we get food for Shabbos. This week Thursday we'll be getting 3 days' worth of food per kid.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 5:23 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
In Lakewood depends on school
Some of my kids are schools with middle class working families. So if eligible it’s free otherwise pay for lunch. Breakfast is free for everyone.

Other of my kids are in a school with mainly poorer families. Bec most families are eligible the entire school is eligible.
Many schools the entire school is eligible.
In the summer schools (with no camps) serve meals without asking any questions.

The lunch programs carry over to camps that rent the space.

If the majority of the student body meets the financial need threshold then it is a designated Title 1 school and eligible for a lot of extras in the way of federal grants.
I would not be surprised, though, if this gets tightened up and reserved for public schools and not private schools now that educational budgets and grants are likely to be cut drastically.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 6:10 pm
I live in Passaic. It's only for children, under age of 18. No adults. It is breakfast and lunch only, and 5 days a week.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 11:24 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
It's not official yet but the money for all these programs is coming from somewhere-- taxpayers will be paying for all this unlimited "free" food, unemployment, childcare, and stimulus money for years to come. And the wealthy know how to dodge taxes, so it'll be those few of us in the middle.
What it I haven't used any of these? Lower middle-class here Sad

amother
Tan

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 11:48 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:

your taxes have always gone towards things that you don't directly benefit from. Like everyone else.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 12:18 pm

If you're lower middle class and have children you shouldn't be paying any federal taxes.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 12:20 pm

It’s like those who don’t have children pay school tax. They still support public schools

Most of us pay taxes and don’t get the services it goes for (wic, hud, food stamps, school food programs) it’s just how it works.
The more programs there are. The more stimulus packages. The more taxes are needed
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries