Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Missouri: Hair Stylists working with Covid exposed 140 clien
Previous  1  2  3

keym

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 10:03 am
Amarante wrote:
I am not sure where you get your statistics on paid leave but most retail and service workers have NO paid leave of any kind.

Only those working for corporations with good benefits have paid sick leave and they also generally lack adequate health insurance.

One of the ironies of America is that workers at Walmart have no medical insurance and if they are lucky, they work in a state with expanded Medicaid so ironically the American taxpayer is subsidizing the low ages and non-benefits of provided by Walmart and other exploitative employers.

You're right. I started off talking about sick and personal leave for Americans in general and then meandered into the lower paying segments.

But I don't know anyone who has unlimited paid sick days, even for verifiable nonemergency sickness.

Just reading the threads on imamother about school vacation and calendar days, it's all using all people's vacation days on kids scheduling and Yom Tov and not having any paid days if they are sick.
It creates a culture of "powering through" and going to work even if one's sick even with Strep or fever or whatever simply because not to go to work is not to afford to pay rent.
And that's not only for the lowest salaries, but most Americans can't afford to take off 2-3 weeks of sick days.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 10:12 am
keym wrote:
You're right. I started off talking about sick and personal leave for Americans in general and then meandered into the lower paying segments.

But I don't know anyone who has unlimited paid sick days, even for verifiable nonemergency sickness.

Just reading the threads on imamother about school vacation and calendar days, it's all using all people's vacation days on kids scheduling and Yom Tov and not having any paid days if they are sick.
It creates a culture of "powering through" and going to work even if one's sick even with Strep or fever or whatever simply because not to go to work is not to afford to pay rent.
And that's not only for the lowest salaries, but most Americans can't afford to take off 2-3 weeks of sick days.

Even the most generous corporate benefit packages don't offer unlimited paid time off. The most they offer is the ability to accumulate leave so that one can have a significant number of days available if necessary.

There is also a distinction in many companies about being paid for sick leave versus vacation when one leaves the company.

However - at least in my personal experience - many white collar workers have flexibility in terms of being able to take time off without it being counted against them. They are able to work from home if necessary and also are able to take a few hours off to see a doctor or take a child to the doctor because they are generally judged on whether they do the job versus physically being in the office.

Also sometimes you have a boss and co-workers who go out of their way to help someone with a chronic disease. I worked for a wonderful boss in a very close department. When one of the guys got pancreatic cancer he wasn't fired but our department head let him work from home many many days even when he wasn't really able to work from home. We just picked up the slack for him by doing his work so that the work of the department was done by all of us. We wanted him to keep his salary AND especially keep his medical insurance.

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 12:41 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
this becomes fear mongering (even if unintentional) when one realizes that in actuality 140 were exposed it does not read that 140 got sick -- big difference

I see lots of accusations of fear mongering on here but I don't really see how something is considered fear mongering. If I went somewhere and had been exposed, I would want to know so that I could contact my doctor for instructions.
Anyone who reads the news knows that when a large group of people are exposed, not everyone catches it and even in family households, some family members don't catch it.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 12:51 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I see lots of accusations of fear mongering on here but I don't really see how something is considered fear mongering. If I went somewhere and had been exposed, I would want to know so that I could contact my doctor for instructions.
Anyone who reads the news knows that when a large group of people are exposed, not everyone catches it and even in family households, some family members don't catch it.

You bring up excellent points. I don't understand how posting this is "fear mongering". It is important information in terms of people being able to make INFORMED decisions about what risk they are willing to take. Just because some place is open, doesn't mean that it is safe nor does it mean that the owners or workers are practicing reasonable safety precautions for YOUR safety and the safety of the general public.

It also underscores the importance of having excellent contact tracing so that sources of infection can potentially be stopped. From what I have read, every country that has achieved some level of control has used contact tracing AND enforced quarantine when applicable in order to prevent the spread of infection.

Ora in town

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:44 pm
I think it is important to be informed...
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics