Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Are OU-certified Dole fruit products checked for bugs?
1  2  3  Next

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:24 pm
Like, Dole has bags of blueberries with an OU hechsher - does that mean it's checked for bugs and I can just use them without washing them?

I've bought bug-checked fruits and vegetables from other brands and they specifically say checked for bugs... this one does not... I am going to assume it is checked for bugs already because, if it wasn't, what use is the OU hechsher? It's not like fresh fruits needs hashgacha...

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:29 pm
Don’t quote me on this but I think it’s okay to use them for smoothies and the like where you blend it. Call the OU and ask, I’m basing my response on what I remember my friend telling me after she called them.

Chickpea

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:31 pm
I don't believe it's checked for bugs but please call the OU kosher division.

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:31 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Don’t quote me on this but I think it’s okay to use them for smoothies and the like where you blend it. Call the OU and ask, I’m basing my response on what I remember my friend telling me after she called them.

I'm not interested in blending them. I buy whole blueberries because I want whole blueberries.

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:32 pm
Chickpea wrote:

So why in the world is anyone paying the mashgiach if he's not doing anything?

Chickpea

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:36 pm
MrsMalka wrote:
So why in the world is anyone paying the mashgiach if he's not doing anything?

I'm calling them now

imasinger

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:37 pm
Chickpea wrote:
I'm calling them now

Will you share the response? Now I'm curious.

BadTichelDay

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:42 pm
MrsMalka wrote:
I'm not interested in blending them. I buy whole blueberries because I want whole blueberries.

The thing with blending is that it can make unchecked fruits permissible according to some rabbanim and hechsherim. It only works if they are not actually known for being infested. If the fruits get blended and there was a bug somewhere, it gets shredded and the little pieces are bitul b'shishim. If you eat the fruits whole, you might c"v swallow a whole bug and that's never bitul b'shishim but always completely unkosher. Here in Israel, one can buy different frozen
kinds of berries which have a hechsher but it says that they must be used only blended, not whole. It's for that reason.

Last edited by BadTichelDay on Tue, May 26 2020, 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:43 pm
MrsMalka wrote:
Like, Dole has bags of blueberries with an OU hechsher - does that mean it's checked for bugs and I can just use them without washing them?

I've bought bug-checked fruits and vegetables from other brands and they specifically say checked for bugs... this one does not... I am going to assume it is checked for bugs already because, if it wasn't, what use is the OU hechsher? It's not like fresh fruits needs hashgacha...

You have to be very careful. A rav hamachshir told me that can’t be relied upon.

MrsMalka

Sorry - I'm not trying to be rude - this is just aggravating. I just moved to America from Israel and I have learned that kashrut here is a balagan. Why would you buy a hechsher on fresh fruit if it does not mean something? Do people not understand that fresh produce does not need to be kosher certified? If the hechsher means that the product is already washed and checked, however, then I completely understand the need for the mashgiach.

amother
Crimson

Chickpea wrote:

Why would someone call the OU to ask if the OU is reliable on this issue?

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:44 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
You have to be very careful. A rav hamachshir told me that can’t be relied upon.

Who? Can you cite the rav? I mean, I thought the OU was a serious hechsher.

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:46 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:
The thing with blending is that it can make unchecked fruits permissible according to some rabbanim and hechsherim. It only works if they are not actually known for being infested. If the fruits get blended and there was a bug somewhere, it gets shredded and the little pieces are bitul b'shishim. If you eat the fruits whole, you might c"v swallow a whole bug and that's never bitul b'shishim but always completely unkosher. Here in Israel, one can buy different frozen
kinds of berries which have a hechsher but it says that they must be used only blended, not whole. It's for that reason.

Yes, obviously, I know all of this. However, using berries (blueberries, strawberries, etc.) while whole is completely allowed and permissible, as long as they are properly washed and checked for bugs. Some super right-wing Ashkenazim forbid eating whole berries because they think you cannot wash them properly, but that is a small minority that I don't belong to.

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:47 pm

They are calling the OU to ask if their hechsher means they check for bugs, not if they are trustworthy people.

Chickpea

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:48 pm

I did not say that was the reason why I was calling them. I'm calling to ask if they check for bugs. Btw, no one is answering their phone.

Last edited by Chickpea on Tue, May 26 2020, 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:51 pm
Chickpea wrote:
Ple
I did not say that was the reason why I was calling them. I'm calling to ask if they check for bugs. Btw, no one is answering their phone.

Thank you very much for your help. I emailed my rabbi and am curious what he will say...

Does nobody here use Dole fruit products? Or just does nobody eat whole berries?

amother
Teal

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 2:33 pm
MrsMalka wrote:
Thank you very much for your help. I emailed my rabbi and am curious what he will say...

Does nobody here use Dole fruit products? Or just does nobody eat whole berries?

If I want wholw berries I buy them fresh and wash them according to directions. If I'm buying it frozen it most likely is for smoothies/desserts.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 2:37 pm
There are many reasons a company might want a hechsher. It implies higher quality food.

There is a mashgiach who PERIODICALLY visits the factory to ensure that the manufacturing process does not create any kashrus issues. There is NOT a mashgiach temidi who is on-site constantly, checking that the washing process sufficiently gets rid of bugs.

So no, Dole fruit products are NOT checked for bugs. The hechsher is that no kashrus-sensitive procedures or ingredients are done or added to the fruit.

The same goes for most bagged lettuce, etc. The responsibility is on the consumer to check for bugs (especially since infestation can happen after packaging).

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 2:39 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
There are many reasons a company might want a hechsher. It implies higher quality food.

There is a mashgiach who PERIODICALLY visits the factory to ensure that the manufacturing process does not create any kashrus issues. There is NOT a mashgiach temidi who is on-site constantly, checking that the washing process sufficiently gets rid of bugs.

So no, Dole fruit products are NOT checked for bugs. The hechsher is that no kashrus-sensitive procedures or ingredients are done or added to the fruit.

The same goes for most bagged lettuce, etc. The responsibility is on the consumer to check for bugs (especially since infestation can happen after packaging).

That seems a bit ridiculous. Someone can just buy fresh produce for cheaper.

sky

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 2:46 pm
Blueberries - according to my rav is a big problem. We eat very few brands

If you are in Lakewood you can call the KCL for brands of blue berries that are big free to a strict standard. If that is what you want.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen