Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dd3- pls help me get to the bottom of this!
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 4:47 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Try a different OT. I have been working as a pediatric OT for many years, and I've seen many kids with this exact profile who have benefited tremendously.

Ok. Thank you. How would I get started? Im in lkwd... right now cant afford to pay a fortune Sad

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 4:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
[b]

The bolded is incorrect. Part of the reason we made the switch. We thought of this
oops I’m sorry! My bad! (I would still be looking for root causes...)

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 7:16 pm
I'm surprised I'm the first one to say this.

Get a strep test!

In addition, get her a complete allergy work up. There may be food allergies that are causing the constipation, behavior problems, and brain/body inflammation.

My brother was an absolute monster if he ever got whole wheat, or orange juice. Processed wheat was fine for some reason, and anything with too much vitamin C really set him off. He eventually outgrew it, but for the first 10 years or so my mom had to be super careful. We always knew when the substitute teachers gave him graham crackers as a snack, instead of saltines.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 7:56 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I'm surprised I'm the first one to say this.

Get a strep test!

In addition, get her a complete allergy work up. There may be food allergies that are causing the constipation, behavior problems, and brain/body inflammation.

My brother was an absolute monster if he ever got whole wheat, or orange juice. Processed wheat was fine for some reason, and anything with too much vitamin C really set him off. He eventually outgrew it, but for the first 10 years or so my mom had to be super careful. We always knew when the substitute teachers gave him graham crackers as a snack, instead of saltines.

Thx for the reply. She doesn't have strep. I once posted here about perianal strep. Its weird but her only symptom of strep throat is burning in her tushy (sorry not using sensored words) after shes on antibiotics I take her for another test to make sure it cleared up. Since shes been out of school in mid of march she hasnt had it (makes me think she was catching it from a kid in her class)

I took her to a GI because of her constipation. I was convinced she has celiac because it runs in my family and she is thin but bloated. She was negative for celiac and all other foods. He told me to keep her on a fiber rich diet. For a few months I was cooking separate meals for her. Shes incredibly stubborn and wouldnt touch most of the foods I made her and it was so so hard for me. The doctor told me to try my best but still give her miralax (currently pedialax) daily to keep her regulated...

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 8:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thx for the reply. She doesn't have strep. I once posted here about perianal strep. Its weird but her only symptom of strep throat is burning in her tushy (sorry not using sensored words) after shes on antibiotics I take her for another test to make sure it cleared up. Since shes been out of school in mid of march she hasnt had it (makes me think she was catching it from a kid in her class)

I took her to a GI because of her constipation. I was convinced she has celiac because it runs in my family and she is thin but bloated. She was negative for celiac and all other foods. He told me to keep her on a fiber rich diet. For a few months I was cooking separate meals for her. Shes incredibly stubborn and wouldnt touch most of the foods I made her and it was so so hard for me. The doctor told me to try my best but still give her miralax (currently pedialax) daily to keep her regulated...
she may not have active strep but she still may have occult strep. perianal strep means there’s strep in her gi tract. Even if she’s not having symptoms right now. Strep in the gi tract means gut dybiosis. Which will lead to a whole host of other issues, both digestive and neurological.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 8:31 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
she may not have active strep but she still may have occult strep. perianal strep means there’s strep in her gi tract. Even if she’s not having symptoms right now. Strep in the gi tract means gut dybiosis. Which will lead to a whole host of other issues, both digestive and neurological.

If she had gut dybiosis she have very loose bowels. (Im married to a 3rd year med student)
She would also have mucus in her stool from not being able so absorb fat, which she doesn't

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 8:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If she had gut dybiosis she have very loose bowels. (Im married to a 3rd year med student)
She would also have mucus in her stool from not being able so absorb fat, which she doesn't
first hit on google scholar for constipation + dysbiosis https://www.nature.com/article.....835-8

Ironically, it discusses serotonin pathways too, which are obviously heavily linked to neurological behaviors

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 8:52 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
first hit on google scholar for constipation + dysbiosis https://www.nature.com/article.....835-8

Ironically, it discusses serotonin pathways too, which are obviously heavily linked to neurological behaviors

Thanks for linking that. I have an appt by the pediatrician so I can mention it. I have a feeling we'll need to take the OT path thou which her doc cant really help with...

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 9:02 pm
It seems to me that your daughter’s behavioral issues are probably related to her constipation, which is probably related to her diet. You may or may not need to make drastic dietary and exercise changes, but please start with resolving the diet/constipation issue.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 9:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for linking that. I have an appt by the pediatrician so I can mention it. I have a feeling we'll need to take the OT path thou which her doc cant really help with...
it doesn’t have to be either or. You can address the symptoms therapeutically while at the same time treating root causes. After all, they are all inter-related. Sensory issues may be a direct cause of her symptoms, but sensory dysfunction has its own, deeper Set of causes too. Same for constIpation, it has a cause. And there’s a bigger picture here, with the constipation and the behaviors, and you want to connect the dots...

dancingqueen

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 9:34 pm
Sounds to me like she’s dealing with anxiety. And not to guilt trip you, but the fact that you find her so annoying probably makes it worse.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 9:41 pm
Gonna leave this here also. FWIW, rigidity is a common presentation of ocd in children. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24763762/

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 9:52 pm
I have a young daughter who has very very similar behaviors. I find that one-on-one she is fantastic and we'll behaved and.can be quite logical and somewhat flexible.
But in our busy home with other children, she has a very hard time. I'm wondering why noone is writing 'she will grow out of it.'

To be honest, she is 3 years old. Isn't she allowed to still have temper tantrums and have power struggles? And she is still young- discoloration in the toilet can make even adults feel a drop uncomfortable for a moment. She is 3-that is very young and she is probably still adjusting to using the toilet in general.

I'm curious what makes people think these are such major issues?

For your information OP, I did buy a sensory swing and hung up in my house. Occasionally I put her in there and swing her when she is really having a hard time. I think it helps..she does love it. That is an idea that's easy and pretty affordable.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics