Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Hafrashas Challah Help!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 9:14 pm
Hi everyone!

I decided that if I'm doing this mitzvah, I want to be the best I can be at it. So here's what I know, and I'm asking anyone for any additional information that I do NOT know.

1) I'm taking challah when I use a 5lb bag of flour, so it should always be enough.
2) Confused how big the challah piece should be. Sometimes I separate an egg-size shape, sometimes an olive-sized shape.
3) I've seen various versions, but the bracha I say is "lehafrish challah min ha-isah". I also say that paragraph thing I've seen in various places. The one where you pray for everything and anything.
4) I put it in my toaster at the hottest it can go, on silver foil, until it's very hard. It's not burned black though. Just very very brown. I then wrap it in the foil and then again in a bag and throw it in the garbage.

Am I missing anything?

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 9:15 pm
Sounds good to me!
I burn mine with the Chametz on erev pesach.
I do egg size and put in freezer until erev pesach.

sub

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 9:30 pm
Walnut size for me.
I was told that if you put in your oven it must be fully wrapped.
The rest sounds right

advocate

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 9:35 pm
Ask your rabbi, but I believe it needs to be double wrapped in your toaster oven.

Hillery

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 9:37 pm
Nowadays, as we don't actually give it to the cohen, we can use the smallest shiur. I usually do something like a small egg, but that's just really what comes in my hand.

I wrap it well in silver foil and burn it in the oven. about 50 min on the highest (from cold) is more than enough.

OP, I think you're doing great. You can also daven in your own language for anyone and anything.

advocate

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 9:37 pm
Also, I was taught to then say this is challah, indicating the piece that I had broken off. Ask your rabbi. I'm impressed by your carefulness --have a wonderful Shavuos!

amother
Coral

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 9:51 pm
Are you supposed to cut almost through the dough before the bracha and then finish the cut after the bracha or just cut the whole piece off after the bracha?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 10:49 pm
sub wrote:
Walnut size for me.
I was told that if you put in your oven it must be fully wrapped.
The rest sounds right

Oh no! Do I have to kasher my oven now? Mine is definitely not fully wrapped.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 10:50 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Are you supposed to cut almost through the dough before the bracha and then finish the cut after the bracha or just cut the whole piece off after the bracha?

Great question. Do you say the bracha AS you are pulling off the dough? Before? After?

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 10:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 10:51 pm
advocate wrote:
Ask your rabbi, but I believe it needs to be double wrapped in your toaster oven.

I thought it needed to be double wrapped only before it went in the garbage? Not in the oven?

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 10:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Great question. Do you say the bracha AS you are pulling off the dough? Before? After?

Separate the dough while a little is still a drop attached, say Bracha, pull apart, say harei zu challah or zo hi challah. (Not everyones minhag) then say the yehi ratzon.

BetsyTacy

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 10:54 pm
From oukosher.org

"May I use my oven while the Challah is burning? If the challah is completely wrapped up, one may bake other items in the oven while the challah is burning. However, if the challah is uncovered, it is best to avoid baking anything else in the oven while the challah is burning.14 If one accidentally did use the oven while the challah was burning, one may eat the food.15"

I did not grow up baking Challah at home and the person who showed me challah baking never told me to cover it either. I burn it in my toaster oven by itself. After reading on this site about covering I tried it, but it didnt really get burned that way.

sub

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 10:54 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
No way.
It’s not a problem of Kashering. It’s just the way to burn it.

Ask your rav.

Hillery

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 5:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

If there is exposed dough you possibly need to kasher your oven. This is an even bigger problem in Eretz Yisroel. Speak to LOR ASAP.

themom

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 5:49 am
My sister’s Rav told her to kasher her oven for this reason.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 8:30 am
If you take a larger piece, flatten it in the foil so it'll bake through.
I wrap it a few times in foil, then bake till it's hard. I'll do a few at a time. I like the idea of saving to burn with the chametz (though this year we had to stick to a minimum of chametz) but also don't want to take up the space. (A few gallon zipper bags full? Not sure.)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 8:41 am
Been to many shiurim on this from differrnt rabbonim, my husband has also given shiurim in this. Here's what we hold.

Be mafrish right after making the dough, not after rising, lchatchila.
Grab some amount (no real shiur) in your hand while it's still attached to the dough. Say the bracha (different nuschaos with min haisa and not). Separate that dough, lift it a little and pronounce "harei zu challah". Say yehi ratzon if desired.
Burn right away. I flatten put on foil and in a hot oven uncovered until black through and through and completely inedible. The rules are stricter in EY but we hold this doesn't treif the oven. Preference to burn right away and not freeze.
No such thing as double wrapping in the garbage. That's actually maybe even worse. You want to make sure it's completely inedible. Double wrapped in the garbage doesn't help it become inedible in the offchance you didn't completely burn it, and it saves it from all the yuck factor that would render it even less likely to be consumed.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 12:51 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Been to many shiurim on this from differrnt rabbonim, my husband has also given shiurim in this. Here's what we hold.

Be mafrish right after making the dough, not after rising, lchatchila.
Grab some amount (no real shiur) in your hand while it's still attached to the dough. Say the bracha (different nuschaos with min haisa and not). Separate that dough, lift it a little and pronounce "harei zu challah". Say yehi ratzon if desired.
Burn right away. I flatten put on foil and in a hot oven uncovered until black through and through and completely inedible. The rules are stricter in EY but we hold this doesn't treif the oven. Preference to burn right away and not freeze.
No such thing as double wrapping in the garbage. That's actually maybe even worse. You want to make sure it's completely inedible. Double wrapped in the garbage doesn't help it become inedible in the offchance you didn't completely burn it, and it saves it from all the yuck factor that would render it even less likely to be consumed.

Thank you!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen