Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Are OU-certified Dole fruit products checked for bugs?
Previous  1  2  3

Mommyg8

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 6:23 pm
MrsMalka wrote:
I vehemently disagree - when someone tries to have you over, you need to think of every possible way to attend and make it possible. Chumrot are good for when they strengthen your emunah, but not when they cause you to separate from others and be insular. Of course if the person is knowingly doing something you vehemently disagree with on a halakhic basis (and not just as a chumra) that is different - for example, my husband and I keep chalav yisrael and pat yisrael, as do our rabbi. We believe that chalav yisrael is required and that chalav stam is just plain treif, so we can’t eat dairy at most friends’ homes. However, even though we keep pat yisrael, it is so clearly a chumra, so we keep it at home, but will definitely eat not pat yisrael at a friend’s house, especially if declining an invitation would hurt someone else’s feelings. There is no such thing as “wiggling out” of an invitation - people are not stupid - they will realise what is happening after you decline them so many times. There is the idea of ahavat yisrael - the more interconnected we are with all Jews, the better - we should never seek to be insular, no matter how right wing we are.

It's not a question of agreeing or not, there are people who have a minhag of not eating anywhere. They will only eat food that they cooked themselves (or their wives, if male). This was much more common in the olden days, it's not as common today, but I still remember relatives who only ate food cooked in their own homes (my grandmother made her own macaroni, for example, they wouldn't buy prepared macaroni, or at least when my grandmother made store bought macaroni, my grandfather wouldn't eat it). These people would never eat at chasunah halls or other simchas. Some people (not my grandparents) would shecht their own chickens. If these people act with extreme respect and love to all people they come in contact with, people don't get offended.

Anyway, it's not as common today as it used to be, but definitely it's a real thing.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 8:10 pm
Welcome to the U.S. of A!!!
Afaik, the ou on the bag does not have a connection to the bugs. They do not check for bugs. It just certifies the product as being kosher. Technically, you are right. If it has bugs it ain't kosher. You should really have someone that shares your derech explain the ins and outs of the kashrut situation here. It's not good to rely on assumptions. And yes, the kashrut agencies in Israel are known to have higher standards.
B hatzlocha!

amother
White

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 9:52 pm
I always wondered about the OU Dole sliced strawberries in sugar. Anybody know? I assume it had to have been checked, otherwise why the hechsher? After all, it is a processed product.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 11:41 pm
Regarding iceberg lettuce with a hechsher, it is checked with a kulah to make a chazakah in large batches for industrial/catering. Sometimes the chazakah cannot be established and a run will not have a hechsher.

Whether you can rely on that kulah depends on your Rav.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen