Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Watching your kids teachers
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 10:11 am
This is just a curious question Smile

Now that your children are home and being taught in your house, how has it been to see what's going on in their classrooms? Have you seen that a teacher you thought was great really isn't or a teacher you didn't think was that great is really doing well? Has it changed your impressions of them?

Genius

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 10:12 am
Teaching in a classroom and on zoom with mothers watching isn’t the same. Talking from the teacher’s perspective

Radish

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 10:17 am
genius wrote:
Teaching in a classroom and on zoom with mothers watching isn’t the same. Talking from the teacher’s perspective

I agree. You're not going to get an accurate picture that way. It's almost like judging a teacher by the substitute cuz that's what distance learning really is Wink

lfab

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 10:20 am
Honestly, I try very hard not to hang out in front of the computers when my kids are "in class". It's hard enough for these teachers adjusting to teaching online as it is. No need to add to the pressure by making them feel like they're being watched the whole time. I would hate to have someone having over my shoulder watching me while I worked so it's not fair to do that to the teachers.
With that being said, I have to say I've been amazed by one of my dd's teachers. She had really gone above and beyond. She has clearly spent a lot of time doing research and implementing so many programs to help facilitate online learning. She even put together little care packages and then went around delivering then to each girl. Before this I thought she was a good teacher, but now I think she's amazing!

amother
Peach

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 10:22 am
I know that as a teacher I skip certain topics I may discuss in the classroom since I know their families are around.

DrMom

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 10:23 am
For my elementary-school aged children, I see how warm and caring their teachers are. One sent whatsapps each day with nice messages for the children, and gave detailed feedback about homework that was submitted. Unfortunately, there wasn't a lot of Zoom instruction. She tried, but the times were all weird and the participation wasn't great. The kids were too young. In the end, she reverted to daily workbook assignments and that actually worked out better, but nevertheless, my little ones are so very glad to be back at school.

For my older ones, I saw that the teachers were highly motivated and most were pretty tech-savvy and managed to teach fairly well. A lot of the learning was self-directed, so that was a valuable experience for some of my kids who were otherwise not so independent-minded. They're also glad to be back and learn with friends.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 10:46 am
Speaking as a teacher - if you are watching your kids teachers teach please stop. Just dont. It makes us super uncomfortable.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 10:51 am
I work in my kids school so I've already seen all their teachers in action. Obviously they can't duplicate the classroom experience on a screen, but they are for the most part working really hard at making the best of it. I'm not intentionally watching, but we live in very small quarters so the reality is that I'm always around doing my thing when they're on zoom.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 10:59 am
It's not hard to watch while standing beyond the camera, so the teacher wouldn't see you. I think teachers should assume that any other family member may be watching at any time.

flowerpower

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 10:59 am
My kids have phone conferences. Not zoom. I sit near one ( ultra active) child while she is on the phone. I hear the entire lesson from her teachers every day. It didn’t change my impression at all. I just see that each teacher has their own way of teaching.

mha3484

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 11:10 am
My kids have neither, they have pre recorded audio to call in at your preferred time. I always liked their teachers but seeing them really rise to the occasion and make this experience as good as they can has given me a greater appreciation.

I used to have some very mixed feelings towards my school's hanhala. This experience has improved my opinion majorly. I really cant think of a negative thing to say about them and if you asked me that a year or two I would not have been able to do that.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 11:11 am
I've only formed more positive impressions.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 11:16 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Speaking as a teacher - if you are watching your kids teachers teach please stop. Just dont. It makes us super uncomfortable.

I have been told that I need to stay with my child at all times, and have actually been told off by the teacher for using my phone while sitting next to my child instead of helping them out (never mind that I work and am trying to get some work done while I'm forced to sit with my kid). Another child who doesn't need as much hand holding I check on frequently (or try to) to make sure they aren't fooling around or not following along in the correct book. Not everyone who is listening in and watching the class is doing so just for fun. Trust me, I would rather not.

But I have a very strong appreciation for what my children's teachers are doing, and yes it has been magnified since I have been able to see what they do.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 11:20 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I know that as a teacher I skip certain topics I may discuss in the classroom since I know their families are around.

I’m wondering why I got hugged. I teach biology. You bet I skipped reproductive system , even the clean version, this year because I don’t know what younger siblings are listening.

Navi also has parts of the story that little kids shouldn’t overhear.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 11:29 am
It has been an incredibly positive experience. I am amazed to see and hear the teachers and how smart, articulate and innovative they are. I am in my 40s and I am a corporate lawyer. All my life I wished I was a teacher. Now I see that there are plenty of awesome teachers out there. I feel comforted that I am doing what I am good at, and they are doing what they are good at. It has brought me a big measure of peace of mind.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 11:32 am

Not gonna stop. Firstly, my presence is the only way my active dc is going to learn fractions remotely and get anything out of the class.

And secondly, to be honest, the parents' presence has made a positive change in a couple of the teachers attitudes and ways of addressing the kids which was not very nice.

They should talk to the kids as if someone is watching! When my internet service is glitching, my 9 year old doesn't need to be told "Stop playing with the screen, what are you, a baby?" instead of "Shlomo, are you having a problem with the camera?" Better believe I'm going to step in. But it breaks my heart that apparently this goes on in the classroom when I'm not around to say something.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 11:47 am
My son's rebbe is a superstar. Kind and patient and intuitive. He was like that in the classroom and he's like that in zoom in my living room.

His science teacher is a disaster. Berating, unorganized, confused... He was like that in the classroom and he's like that in my living room. I had to ask the principal to pop into his zoom class so she could see for herself. Amazing how he changed his tune that day ...

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 11:49 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
My son's rebbe is a superstar. Kind and patient and intuitive. He was like that in the classroom and he's like that in zoom in my living room.

His science teacher is a disaster. Berating, unorganized, confused... He was like that in the classroom and he's like that in my living room. I had to ask the principal to pop into his zoom class so she could see for herself. Amazing how he changed his tune that day ...

Exactly. Same experience here.

Reality

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 11:56 am
My opinion has pretty much stayed the same. The teachers and Rebbeim that I thought were great have proved themselves to be wonderful. The teachers and Rebbeim that I thought were out of touch with the kids or too strict are still the same!!

I enjoy hearing the good teachers teach so much! I love listening into the Judaic studies classes and learning while I'm doing housework!

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 12:18 pm

Well considering that we only have 1 room that is the living room, dining room and kitchen where do you suggest I go? The bathroom?
Not everyone has the space to give a kid privacy while they learn.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics