Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Cream cheese vs farmer c cheesecake

momof2+?

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 1:23 pm
My usual cheesecake recipe is made with cream cheese. Because of the shortage I am going to make one with farmer cheese this yr. What should I expect to be the difference in taste?

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 1:26 pm
farmers cheese doesn't have the rich satisfying creaminess.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 1:27 pm
my grandmother used farmer cheese. tastes more heimish, less american to me. unfortunately she's gone and we don't have her recipe but they're both good, just different.

Amarante

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 1:31 pm
You can definitely make it with farmers cheese but as others have posted, it won't be creamy but will have more of a texture.Italians make their cheese cake with ricotta cheese and it has a smilier texture.

The Italian version is delicious - it just isn't the same as the iconic New York version made with cream cheese.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 1:37 pm
I've made it with farmer cheese using a method that makes it just as creamy as cream cheese.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 1:54 pm
I have always made my cheese cake with farmer cheese and sour cream. Its delicious!! Personally, I find the cream cheese cakes are too rich for me.

sub

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 2:28 pm
Farmer cheese results in a firmer drier cake.
I personally like it better.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 3:09 pm
My grandmother a"h always made her Shavuos cheesecake with farmer cheese. It is a different consistency than cream cheese, but also yummy

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 3:11 pm
It's lighter. The sour cream makes it richer, and you can process it a bit to smooth it out if you want.

oneofakind

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 3:27 pm
Like the above but I would find a recipe that calls for farmer cheese. I don't think you could just substitute it for cream cheese but I may be wrong.

Mevater

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 3:31 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I've made it with farmer cheese using a method that makes it just as creamy as cream cheese.

#metoo

Ive made cheesecakes with farmer cheese and blended all ingredients in a blender and that broke up the "piecy-ness" of the cottage cheese and Im fussy and I loved it. I may have used a recipe for farmer cheese, Im not sure, but I think the blender gave it an excellent texture.

I think Ill use my leftover farmer cheese and do just that this year with a recipe for cream cheese.

Mevater

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 3:32 pm
double post

Last edited by Mevater on Wed, May 27 2020, 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Amarante

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 3:39 pm
This is a recipe for Polish Cheesecake which uses Farmers Cheese. Martha Stewart has a similar recipe. She is of Polish descent and I have found some of her family recipes are similar to recipes my Bubbe made who emigrated from Poland. My Bubbe made a fried cookie which had a slit in 5e center which had one end twisted into it and it was identical to one of Martha’s recipes

Ingredients

Crust:

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 5 ounces cold butter
* 2 large egg yolks (at room temperature)
* 3 tablespoons sour

Filling

* 5 ounces butter (at room temperature)
* 2 cups sugar
* 4 large eggs (at room temperature, separated)
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 2 pounds dry-curd cheese (or twaróg or quark cheese passed through a sieve or processed in a blender until smooth)

Steps to Make It
Note: while there are multiple steps to this recipe, it is broken down into workable categories to help you better plan for preparation and cooking.

Make the Crust
* In a large bowl or food processor, mix together flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and baking powder. Cut in or pulse 5 ounces cold butter as for pie dough.

In a separate bowl, mix together 2 egg yolks and sour cream and add to the flour-butter mixture, combining or pulsing only until combined. If the dough is too dry, add an extra whole egg. If the dough is too soft to roll, refrigerate for 1 hour.

Lightly grease a 13x9-inch pan with butter. Roll pastry dough large enough to line the pan and come up the sides. Fit into pan, making a crimped or rolled edge. (Note: If you have leftover dough, roll it into pencil shapes to decorate the top of the filled cheesecake.)

Make the Filling

* Heat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, cream together 5 ounces room-temperature butter with 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy.

Beat in 4 large room-temperature egg yolks and vanilla until well incorporated. Thoroughly mix in the cheese.

In a separate bowl, beat the 4 large room-temperature egg whites to stiff peaks. Fold them into the cheese mixture.

Pour filling into pastry crust-lined pan. If you have leftover dough, roll into pencil shapes and lay them diagonally across the top of the cheesecake.

Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until center is only slightly jiggly. Don't let the top brown.

Let cool completely before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.

momof2+?

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 4:51 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Will you pretty please divulge this method?

I was going to use a new recipe, not just swap the cheeses in the recipe. Should I look for a recipe that has sour cream/ riches whip in it?

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 4:57 pm
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....19212

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 7:24 pm
If anyone tries ra moms recipe, can they report here?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics