Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Hafrashas Challah Help!
Previous  1  2

holylandgirl

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 10:51 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

No such thing as double wrapping in the garbage. That's actually maybe even worse. You want to make sure it's completely inedible. Double wrapped in the garbage doesn't help it become inedible in the offchance you didn't completely burn it, and it saves it from all the yuck factor that would render it even less likely to be consumed.

Just want to point out I learnt from a big posek that one can double wrap and throw out. So yes there is such thing as double wrapping and throwing out.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 2:14 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Been to many shiurim on this from differrnt rabbonim, my husband has also given shiurim in this. Here's what we hold.

Be mafrish right after making the dough, not after rising, lchatchila.
Grab some amount (no real shiur) in your hand while it's still attached to the dough. Say the bracha (different nuschaos with min haisa and not). Separate that dough, lift it a little and pronounce "harei zu challah". Say yehi ratzon if desired.
Burn right away. I flatten put on foil and in a hot oven uncovered until black through and through and completely inedible. The rules are stricter in EY but we hold this doesn't treif the oven. Preference to burn right away and not freeze.
No such thing as double wrapping in the garbage. That's actually maybe even worse. You want to make sure it's completely inedible. Double wrapped in the garbage doesn't help it become inedible in the offchance you didn't completely burn it, and it saves it from all the yuck factor that would render it even less likely to be consumed.

This is mind-blowing. I've always mafrished right after rising, right before I shape! There's so much more dough that way.

As for double wrapping it, I mean I first try to "burn it", or at least really really brown. Then I double wrap it before putting it in the garbage because I thought it was kadosh in some way?

This is amazing, thanks so much! I really want to know if I should take Challah before letting it rise. And I'm going to try to put it in the oven from now on and burn it until black.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 6:20 pm
There's no inyan to wait before hafrasha.... The chiyuv starts when the dough is made, and zrizim makdimim l'mitzvos.
It also gives the opportunity if you forgot to remember when you start shaping.

There's no problem wrapping up the dough that's burnt because it's inedible. I usually wrap it in the foil it was on (flat discs of dough burn quicker btw) and throw out but no such thing as double wrapping per my Rav for garbage.

As far as the poster who was told to double wrap and throw out, I have heard people say their Rav said that. My post was based on what I hold (as I wrote in the first paragraph). My rabbonim are from a few different communities and yeshivos and kashrus agencies, all Litvish. That's my background. Definitely consult with your own Rav if you think you might hold differently!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen