Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Without long lasting immunity how will vaccine solve the pro

Just One

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:01 pm
The naturally aquired herd immunity theory is often debunked with the rational that immunity towards COVID19 might not be long lasting and therefore herd immunity will be difficult if not impossible to achieve.
It seems like for many a vaccine is the only solution. However if it's true that immunity toward the noval coronavirus lasts only around six months or so, how will a vaccine be helpful?

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:25 pm
Just One wrote:
The naturally aquired herd immunity theory is often debunked with the rational that immunity towards COVID19 might not be long lasting and therefore herd immunity will be difficult if not impossible to achieve.
It seems like for many a vaccine is the only solution. However if it's true that immunity toward the noval coronavirus lasts only around six months or so, how will a vaccine be helpful?

We don't know yet.

Presumably, if immunity wears off after a year, the recommendation would include annual boosters.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:29 pm
It could be like the flu vaccine which is tweaked every year but since the underlying science and production lines are set up, it's relatively easy to produce an annual flu vaccine which is generally pretty effective.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:49 pm
mRNA vaccines are being developed with the goal to program your genes to respond upon exposure. I personally think this is terrifying.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 4:00 pm
I’m assuming similarly to the flu vaccine.
That it’s highly effective for most people and it lowers the intensity of the flu if you do still get flu with it.
It’ll help with the medical overflow and will make it that much less Of a massive worldwide issue.

banana123

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 4:17 pm
Either similar to the flu vaccine, or very possibly if we get enough people (on a global scale, and on a local scale) vaccinated, we simply stop the virus in its tracks and it disappears completely.

I think by the time a vaccine is available, we'll know more about how long immunity lasts.

banana123

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 4:17 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
mRNA vaccines are being developed with the goal to program your genes to respond upon exposure. I personally think this is terrifying.

Source?

Just One

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 4:23 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:

I think this is based on a wrong assumption of what mrna based vaccine is

Just One

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 4:24 pm
banana123 wrote:
Either similar to the flu vaccine, or very possibly if we get enough people (on a global scale, and on a local scale) vaccinated, we simply stop the virus in its tracks and it disappears completely.

I think by the time a vaccine is available, we'll know more about how long immunity lasts.

Not likely if it's short acting. Impossible to vaccinate billions of people within such a short amount of time to totally eradicate the virus

imasoftov

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 4:27 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:

I think you may have confused mRNA and DNA vaccines. The latter has the risk of modifying genes, the former does not. Neither is currently approved for use in humans. Both sorts of vaccines (as well as other approaches such as modified adenoviruses, inactivated viruses, and viral proteins) are currently in various stages of testing.

Just One

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 4:27 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
I’m assuming similarly to the flu vaccine.
That it’s highly effective for most people and it lowers the intensity of the flu if you do still get flu with it.
It’ll help with the medical overflow and will make it that much less Of a massive worldwide issue.

So basically it looks like we're looking at a new seasonal illness who's affects may be mitigated somewhat by an annual vaccine. No magic bullet there.
Now can my kids go back to school please??!!

banana123

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 4:28 pm
Just One wrote:
Not likely if it's short acting. Impossible to vaccinate billions of people within such a short amount of time to totally eradicate the virus

That depends on a lot of things - how many months we have, how the vaccine is distributed, etc.

We'll see - by the time we managed a vaccine for swine flu, it wasn't relevant anymore. Could be the same this time, too.

Just One

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 4:31 pm
As far as I know the only diseases eradicated by vaccines are those like smallpox which give immunity for decades.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 2:12 pm
How in the world do you think the flu vaccine is very effective? The cdc and makers of the vaccine find it is not very effective. Some year had an only 10% success rate. It has never had as much as a 50% chance any year. Compared to childhood disease vaccines whose success rates are all between 90-100%. Now mix that with corona transmission rates. This vaccine is not looking like a savior. I dont think I would bet on it being one. We need a plan without a savior vaccine.

southernbubby

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 2:29 pm
I just read that the MMR vaccine may give some degree of protection against COVID 19.

Tzippy323

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 8:21 pm
I spoke with my doctor regarding the vaccine. Covid is a virus, just like influenza. So is measles, for that matter. The difference is that the measles virus does not mutate. Once the body is protected through a vaccine, it is long term. Influenza, however, mutates constantly and therefore a new vaccine is required each year. Covid is also mutating. For that reason, a yearly vaccine will be required.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 8:43 pm
Thats interesting.

I am betting on Moshiach coming.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 3:27 pm
Tzippy323 wrote:
I spoke with my doctor regarding the vaccine. Covid is a virus, just like influenza. So is measles, for that matter. The difference is that the measles virus does not mutate. Once the body is protected through a vaccine, it is long term. Influenza, however, mutates constantly and therefore a new vaccine is required each year. Covid is also mutating. For that reason, a yearly vaccine will be required.

If your doctor thinks COVID is mutating at anywhere near the pace of the flu then he needs to read more

youngishbear

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 3:33 pm
Tzippy323 wrote:

I recently learned that the measles virus does mutate. But the important part of it, the one our immune system targets, stays the same, and that's why catching measles or getting vaccinated provides long-term immunity from the illness despite mutations.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics