Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Rib eye help

lucky14

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 12:27 am
I'm new to cooking meat and need help.

I have a rib eye recipe that says to sear in a pan and then put in the oven. My pans are not oven safe (that I know of). Can I put the steak in a glass baking dish? Will the cooking time be the same? Will it turn out OK?

nosher

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 12:30 am
Yes you can. You can also transfer to a disposable pan if you prefer. Good luck!

lucky14

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 12:31 am
I was just looking through past rib eye recipes and see that everyone says to eat it immediately. We aren't going to be able to do that. I'm gong to have to cook it tomorrow for Shabbat lunch. What will happen to it? Will it really taste that much worse having to reheat it?

studying_torah

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 12:56 am
Oh I bought a boneless one too & have no idea how to cook (online says to cook till medium rare but my kids won't eat that).
Will low & slow ruin it?
Advice for time & temperature please in the oven?

yersp

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 8:31 am
I hate searing meat and then putting it in a disposable pan and then in oven. Such a headache and extra steps I don't have time for. I know that searing meat adds flavor but I don't have the time nor patience. Any steak or roast I will always make in the oven low and slow.
I bought rib eye steaks for first night meal. Perfect little pieces since by the time it comes to meat no one is that hungry. I rubbed in spices: onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and some salt. Sauteed onions and put that over the steaks. I added in some liquid from the chicken soup I was cooking (or I use soup mix with hot water). Covered well and baked at 325 for 3-4 hours. After 3 hours check for doneness.
For roasts I use any recipe I find that is simple and easy. You can do the same as with the steaks or I've done just wine and sauteed onions with salt and pepper rubbed into steak.
The latest one I made that my family likes comes from Mishpacha magazine from a couple of years back.
1/3 cup tomato sauce, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup wine (I use grape juice if I don't have), 1 sliced onion and a few garlic cloves sliced (I use 3-4 frozen cubes sometimes) and onion soup mix.
Wash and pat dry roast. Rub onion soup mix on entire roast. Pour sauce mixture over coating under and all around. Cover and bake on 250 for 8-10 hours. I always make it ahead and freeze. It slices so much neater when it's very cold.

studying_torah

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 10:00 am
This isn't a steak- it's a thick rolled up roast that says rib eye & in smaller letters chk (not sure if tat means it's chuck?)
I know chuck needs low & slow for sure.

lucky14

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 10:08 am
I can't serve it tonight- we are having dairy tonight. What happens if I reheat it and serve it for Shabbat dinner or lunch? Will it turn tough? Should I just switch the meals around to have fleishigs tonight?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics