Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Watching your kids teachers
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Lime

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 1:49 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Speaking as a teacher - if you are watching your kids teachers teach please stop. Just dont. It makes us super uncomfortable.

Can't Believe It

Most of us have to see you guys because who else do you think is setting the kids up with notes, and with their books, and Mommy the pen isn't working, etc etc.

I was a teacher and I would have the vice principal randomly come into my class and observe me. They would ask for my lesson plans in advance. If you can't handle people looking at you, don't be a teacher.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 1:52 pm
My son's rebbe didn't have the best reputation, but listening in has been a revelation. He's amazing! Totally amazing. He handles the boys really well and I love his lessons.

I know no one wants to hear this, but I think that good teachers rise to the top, no matter what the circumstance. My children have a couple of really incredible ones, and it really shows.

And for those teachers who are about to murder me, I quit as a teacher because I recognized in myself that I wasn't a particularly great teacher, despite all my training. (and I took extensive schooling) It wasn't fair to anyone.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 3:14 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Can't Believe It

Most of us have to see you guys because who else do you think is setting the kids up with notes, and with their books, and Mommy the pen isn't working, etc etc.

I was a teacher and I would have the vice principal randomly come into my class and observe me. They would ask for my lesson plans in advance. If you can't handle people looking at you, don't be a teacher.

Its a little different having a Principal watch and having 20 sets of parents . Its especially more difficult when people come and go and every word might be being listened too. With a observer at least you know someone is watching.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 3:20 pm
our school's technology policy says that the student has to be in a public place, not their bedroom so my daughter shares an office with my husband. Sometimes he wears headphones, otherwise, yes he hears everything. Probably not the best for the school Wink

amother
Natural

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 4:14 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Can't Believe It

I'm teaching online and am really fine with parents sitting in. Even if I don't see them, I assume they are there!

Btw, there was an interesting article in the NYT about this, and it was interesting. Principals interviewed said there have been some big surprises, that some of their top teachers were floundering, while others who had been more mediocre in the classroom really rose to the top and have been doing quite well in this medium. Same for students (though overall it was a small percentage of previously struggling students who have started to excel through online schooling).

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 4:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Totally understand that this is a whole new ballgame for teachers. I was wondering more about experiences like amother Slateblue where you get to see in real time the teachers that your children talk about and it either reinforced what you thought or changed your mind.

I'm a teacher, I teach online so I understand the feeling of discomfort when parents are listening but I learned to block it out

Each teacher has pretty much stayed the same as before in terms of temperament. Only our superstar rebbe has small children. The rest are single or older and still having a hard time.

I'm a teacher myself but chasdei Hashem I took off this year. I was however the one teacher that always used technology. So even on snow days my students would meet me in Google classroom and get cracking. But chasdei Hashem I don't have to do that with all my small kids.

I turned the teachers zoom antics into a drinking game though... One sip for Everytime he yells at a kid. Another sip for Everytime he mutes himself and them blames the children... And so on

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 5:01 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
That's such an odd, and frankly disturbing rule. Why is that?

we have a rule that fathers and men are not allowed to watch the women teachers teach. Yes this was actually happening.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 5:11 pm
we have a rule that fathers and men are not allowed to watch the women teachers teach. Yes this was actually happening.

No way to enforce, though, so what's the point?

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 5:19 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
No way to enforce, though, so what's the point?

the "rule" itself is a deterrent to half the fathers and makes them want to stay away. If a father is seen in the camera frame the child is removed from class for that day.
and yes I know they can still watch and stay out of the frame, but any father that does that- even when the rule is announced has got to be a serious creep.
( just to be specific- in front of Morah teachers who usually sing etc... )

amother
Natural

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 5:22 pm
the "rule" itself is a deterrent to half the fathers and makes them want to stay away. If a father is seen in the camera frame the child is removed from class for that day.
and yes I know they can still watch and stay out of the frame, but any father that does that- even when the rule is announced has got to be a serious creep.
( just to be specific- in front of Morah teachers who usually sing etc... )

For a kid who has a father doing that, it is way more damaging to have him creepily break the rule by standing away from the frame to watch, than just not to have the rule in the first place.
And terribly embarrassing to the child to know that is why she is being removed from class. Punishing her for something wrong her father did.
And, unless the teacher is singing or dressed immodestly, there is no halacha forbidding it.
Because the school makes a big deal out of it, it actually s*xualises the teacher in the student's eyes.... Better not to have that "rule" at all imo

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 5:39 pm

I don't even know what to say to this. I find it nearly impossible to believe. Are you saying that so many fathers were inappropriately watching female teachers for thrills that a rule had to be made? It simply can't be.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 5:49 pm
I don't even know what to say to this. I find it nearly impossible to believe. Are you saying that so many fathers were inappropriately watching female teachers for thrills that a rule had to be made? It simply can't be.

Lol. Of course, because of all the hot female teachers. It's so hilarious what we get so scared of.

gilamom

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 7:20 pm
I'm completely blown away by my kid's teachers. I knew they were great but omg, they're so much more than great. How do they have the koach to keep up such a positive, fun and upbeat tone the entire day, they must be exhausted by the end of class!

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 11:35 pm
I’m so happy you asked this question.

I was ok ish with my child’s teacher.

Now? I’m blown away every day with her lessons!
She is so fascinating, warm, creative, captivating, patient...
You can tell that she is doing it with such tremendous love.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 5:54 am

1/2 my daughters lessons are singing.
I think it’s very unfair to the teachers to have males listening to them sing.

My mother davens with her class and father’s join. It’s very uncomfortable for her.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 6:01 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
1/2 my daughters lessons are singing.
I think it’s very unfair to the teachers to have males listening to them sing.

A lot of what’s going on right now is unfair. I think teachers need to assume that if a child is not wearing headphones, anyone MAY hear, and they should behave accordingly. That doesn’t mean that parents are actively listening, it just means teachers should not say or do anything that they would not want anyone outside of their classroom to see or hear. While it would be nice to assume that teachers are not being heard by other family members, that just may not be the case.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 6:05 am
I was happy to see how much dc participates in class!
Also had a chance to see his teachers are really great and much better than what I imagined, they are truly making an effort to make sure everyone is having fun while learning!
I also saw how the kids are mostly nice to each other and socialize well, so in general it's been a good experience to have a peak!

amother
Copper

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 6:15 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
A lot of what’s going on right now is unfair. I think teachers need to assume that if a child is not wearing headphones, anyone MAY hear, and they should behave accordingly. That doesn’t mean that parents are actively listening, it just means teachers should not say or do anything that they would not want anyone outside of their classroom to see or hear. While it would be nice to assume that teachers are not being heard by other family members, that just may not be the case.

Students should miss out on their teachers singing because fathers may be choosing to listen?
A large part of their learning is that.

Personally I am hands off. I believe if they don’t follow the rules they need to face the consequences. I don’t want to police them both at home and school also.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 6:51 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Students should miss out on their teachers singing because fathers may be choosing to listen?
A large part of their learning is that.

Personally I am hands off. I believe if they don’t follow the rules they need to face the consequences. I don’t want to police them both at home and school also.

1. Singing when teaching is not kol isha. Teachers may be uncomfortable thinking or knowing that a father or brother is hearing them, but it is not assur.
2. I didn’t say kids should miss out. What I said was that teachers should work under the assumption that people other than the student will hear. Schools can’t have it both ways. If they want kids to be working in public areas, then they need to assume there will be other family members in that public area, even if they are not actively listening or paying attention.
3. I have one kid I am hands off with, one I am mostly hands off with, and one I need to be in the same room with. My two older ones are absolutely responsible for themselves, and need to face the consequences of their behavior. My younger one is very easily distracted and is often doing other things or walking around the room. This week, I starting getting the daily work from Morah and teaching it myself. BH I’m not working now, so I’m able to do this. Obviously it wouldn’t work for everyone.

My point is just that, because class is now taking place in the home, teachers need to assume that other family members will hear them teaching.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics