Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is your baby going to be undressed on Yom Tov?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Zehava

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 3:39 pm
avrahamama wrote:
You. Still. Dont. Know. Her.

That’s true. I only know what she told us. And that’s enough.

turca

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 3:51 pm
I belong to another community ( SY in Flatbush). I grew up in a Sephardic community in Mexico City. While sticking to the values I grew up with, I also want to belong to the community I live. I decided to give in for some things, and not to some other things. I do enjoy my community very much.
So, OP and whoever is complaining about underdressing/overdressing children or whatever that is standard in your community: if you are feeling down about not following something that is an important value for the community you live in, either you adhere to the standards ( you save up money , or look for nice deals, or gemach, or whatever) or move somewhere else that suits you better, or simply ignore it and live happily live your life.

Blessing1

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 4:07 pm
Zehava wrote:
That’s true. I only know what she told us. And that’s enough.

Exactly. And whoever knows OP should know that they're not doing her any favors by downplaying the reality of the chassidish communities.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 4:30 pm
OP have a great Yom Tov. I could understand why you will feel self conscious. I am someone who really does my own thing and I don’t bend to peer pressure. But whenever I was in Williamsburg (haven’t been there in a while) or other communities that have similarities , I felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb and it made me feel uncomfortable. So I get why you are concerned. But know that you are not doing anything wrong by having your baby in a Carters outfit. Majority of frum communities don’t have this type of fashion peer pressure. You just so happen to be going to a place where Yom Tov is a fashion show. Try to focus on the true importance of kabalas hatorah . That’s why we are celebrating this Yom Tov.
Chang Sameach.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 4:46 pm
No matter where you go, certain things will make you fit in and certain things will make you stand out. In Williamsburg, your baby wearing a Carter's inside will make you stand out, not necessarily a bad thing but if you didn't want to stand out then avoid dressing him that way.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 5:18 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Too bad my son is gonna be wearing clothes from carters for yom tov... in fact he’s gonna be very underdressed...like not dressed fancy enough.
He’s only a baby I want him to be comfortable. BUT I am going to feel a little self conscious because everyone else’s babies are going to be really dressed up and my baby’s gonna stick out and we already stick out enough as it is...
Anybody else?
Sorry but the baby boy outfits are expensiiiiive!!
#atleasthehasclothes

You’re so,lucky this is all you have to worry about

amother
Rose

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 6:18 pm
You have the baby so you already fit in🤪

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 6:30 pm
Enjoy YT! I'm sure your baby will win over everybody with his cuteness!

gdgirl

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 6:51 pm
Actually your baby will probably look MORE dressed.. because the Frum stuff this season all looks like bathing suits to me😂

notshanarishona

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 7:18 pm
Lol.. I thought this post was going to say everyone will be underdressed because the in person stores are all closed . Clothes are clothes. Nothing wrong with off brand.

amother
Lime

Post Sat, May 30 2020, 2:27 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
You’re so,lucky this is all you have to worry about

1. You have a baby! Do you know what a huge blessing that is?
2. You can afford clothes from Carters, instead of Walmart, or from inlaws.
3. You live in a nice Jewish community, and not way OOT somewhere.

Babies should be dressed like babies, not like tiny little business men. JMNSHO.

And inquiring minds want to know, where on earth are you going that you are going to be on parade with dozens of other babies? Is SD not a thing in your area?

Will there be a prize for best dressed? Will there be a modeling contract and a college fund for the winner? What

DrMom

Post Sat, May 30 2020, 3:02 pm
This whole thread is so yucky. Babies are cute. Who cares of they are dressed to the nines, much less what brand of clothing they are wearing?

And even if you live in an uber status-conscious materialistic neighborhood, I'd think your acquaintances would cut you some slack, given that we are in the middle of a pandemic. If not, what does that say about them?

I'm so glad I only live in the ancestral homeland of the Jewish people and not "in town."

camp123

Post Sat, May 30 2020, 3:41 pm
I actually thought the op was joking. It wasn't until I continued reading that I realized this was a serious concern for some people. So greatful that I live in a place where you can dress your baby however you like and no one cares. Sorry op good luck in trying not to stand out, what a pressure.

amother
Rose

Post Sat, May 30 2020, 11:55 pm
camp123 wrote:
I actually thought the op was joking. It wasn't until I continued reading that I realized this was a serious concern for some people. So greatful that I live in a place where you can dress your baby however you like and no one cares. Sorry op good luck in trying not to stand out, what a pressure.

Where do you live? I think I might wanna move there..

notshanarishona

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 12:10 am
I got my baby a very cute outfit from Walmart for $10. My friend spent $120. Her baby spit up on his name brand yom tov clothes and was wearing weak day clothes in the street while my baby was in his cute outfits. Expensive outfits are throwing out money for babies

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 12:36 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
1. You have a baby! Do you know what a huge blessing that is?
2. You can afford clothes from Carters, instead of Walmart, or from inlaws.
3. You live in a nice Jewish community, and not way OOT somewhere.

Babies should be dressed like babies, not like tiny little business men. JMNSHO.

And inquiring minds want to know, where on earth are you going that you are going to be on parade with dozens of other babies? Is SD not a thing in your area?

Will there be a prize for best dressed? Will there be a modeling contract and a college fund for the winner? What

Is #3 for real? There's quite a difference between a rigidly conformist materialistic society and a place without even a minyan.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 6:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Please delete
My question was answered and my thread got derailed lol

I "reported" this post to alert the moderator that you would like the thread deleted.

Ora in town

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 7:54 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
No matter where you go, certain things will make you fit in and certain things will make you stand out. In Williamsburg, your baby wearing a Carter's inside will make you stand out, not necessarily a bad thing but if you didn't want to stand out then avoid dressing him that way.

Wow...
Why would you want to fit in with a crowd whose main value is baby fashion shows???
Do you go to beauty pageants for your daughters?
One is just as zerdreyt as the other...

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 10:02 am
My Children's Place order didn't arrive in time for Shavuos, so my baby spent the whole Yom Tov either in his pajamas or onesies. He was perfectly comfortable and I was happy because he made such huge messes at mealtimes that we had to change him right after anyways.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics