Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Transferring the virus through children

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 11:14 am
There was a study in Switzerland that claims that children cannot transfer the corona virus from one person to another. If this is true, it means I can bring my grandchildren to my house for Shabbos without my worrying that I might catch the virus from them. Has anyone heard about this?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 11:17 am
Not so clear cut.
https://www.thelocal.ch/202005.....id-19

ora_43

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 11:25 am
It's not that kids can't transmit the virus, it just seems to be less likely.

For kids under age 10, specifically - older kids can definitely transmit the virus. Israel has had outbreaks in several schools in the past week.

And there are also experts who disagree with the "less likely to transmit" theory, and say the Switzerland study was faulty.

Can children spread the coronavirus? It’s complicated.

There are visit options that might be lower-risk, though. Eg eating meals together outdoors, or going to the park or on a hike together.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 12:14 pm
Thank you Op for bringing this to our attention!

Halevi it turns out to be true!!!! So challenging.

Following...

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 6:57 pm
According to this, keeping the schools closed is absolutely pointless and completely unnecessary....

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 7:31 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
According to this, keeping the schools closed is absolutely pointless and completely unnecessary....

Well Israel is seeing a surge in cases, all attributed to school students. They are thinking of closing the schools again if the new trend continues.

Ora in town

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 7:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
There was a study in Switzerland that claims that children cannot transfer the corona virus from one person to another. If this is true, it means I can bring my grandchildren to my house for Shabbos without my worrying that I might catch the virus from them. Has anyone heard about this?

I did the research on that one. I couldn't find any study in Switzerland claiming that children cannot transfer the corono virus.

On the contrary. There is an ongoing study in Geneva that states: nothing indicates that children cannot transmit the virus.

Apperently, the director of the Swiss equivalent of CDC proclaimed quite some time ago, that the epidemy was "not primarily driven by children". However, this is something he could not know at that time, and it likely will be disproven...

As a matter of fact, closing schools helped reduce the reproduction number R by about 1 (only 2 persons infected by each carrier instead of 3), which tends to show that children as unidentified carriers (because in general they have no symptoms) probably are significant drivers of the pandemic...

Last edited by Ora in town on Mon, Jun 01 2020, 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ora in town

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 7:37 pm

Yes, that's how we know the statement is wrong, because it was proven that closing schools helped reduce the reproduction number by 1, from 3 to 2 or from 2,5 to 1,5...

Last edited by Ora in town on Mon, Jun 01 2020, 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ora in town

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 7:39 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Thank you Op for bringing this to our attention!

Halevi it turns out to be true!!!! So challenging.

Following...

I did the research on that one.

Actually there is Swiss study from the University of Geneva that says nothing indicates that Covid cannot be transmitted by children... But the study is not finished yet. They took swab from children with Covid to inspect the quantity of virus in the swab (which is not a very precise number, since it depends how the swab was taken) and they also try to make the virus reproduce in petri dishes to check whether it is "alive"...

A chinese study found that apparently older people get infected more easily with Covid19 (index 150 when 100 is average), and children get infected less easily (30 points less than average)...

Then there is the fact that children exhale less air, since their lung volume is smaller.

A German study just found that children "contain" as much virus as adults once they are infected.
And the problem with children is that they generally have no symptoms, so they are really hard to identify as carriers...

Last edited by Ora in town on Mon, Jun 01 2020, 3:15 pm; edited 3 times in total

Optione

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 7:40 pm

These comments make me laugh. They need adults to teach them and run the building...

Ora in town

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 7:45 pm
Optione wrote:
These comments make me laugh. They need adults to teach them and run the building...

Anyway: the swiss statement is not true... it's just wishful thinking by the swiss equivalent of the CDC director...

Ora in town

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 7:54 pm
Schools in Switzerland reopened with massive social distancing measures: classes were cut in half, so that 2m distance between students were possible. Lessons were limited to a core curriculum, since the teachers have to teach the two halves of their classes separately.

Furthermore, "capsules" were formed for recess and playground.

there is still a rule in force that meetings over 5 persons are forbidden....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics