Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Desperate about yeshiva HELP
Previous  1  2  3  4

behappy2

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 8:02 pm
I know someone who may be able to help guide you. Pm me if you'd like

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 8:08 pm
If you’re open to sending to the west coast, check out SCY High in San Diego, Ca. It’s the only Boys orthodox Yeshivah High School in San Diego. It’s a wonderful small school, with amazing teachers and staff. My own son will most likely go there soon. They really strive to balance between Jewish & secular studies and many of the boys go on to study in college.

https://scyhigh.org/

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 8:13 pm
I would always advocate speaking with the Menahel, discussing your specific situation and needs. See if the school has space, can meet your needs, and if they think it is a reasonable place for your son at this time. It is not fair to you, your son, or the school, to misrepresent the situation as you want to make sure they can meet his needs and not set him up for failure.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 8:30 pm
Did anyone mention Skokie as a place to look into? MO and JPF families from my OOT community have sent there. I get the impression that many, maybe even most, of the boys go on to do at least a bachelor's degree, but maybe that is biased by my social network because I am MO.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 8:35 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I dont want to out myself with too much detail but with our children who are now in schools labeled officially MO, various ones, it has not been an issue at all. We are more alike than different. We dont do zionism, but other than that being different, it is the same. Our kids found good friends, good boys, who are not rebellious. Who love yiddishkeit. It was so scary making that leap on paper. But once we went down to the schools, had conversations, met principals, rebbeim, met parents of the student body, it was the best decision ever. Otherwise they would have ended up with a bad crowd. Our hashkafa at home has not changed.

What does that mean you don’t do zionism?

OP, MTA is a great school and sounds like a good fit for him. If you want to send him this September you are a little late but you can try.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 8:38 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
What does that mean you don’t do zionism?

OP, MTA is a great school and sounds like a good fit for him. If you want to send him this September you are a little late but you can try.

Skip hallel on yom haatzmaut (tehillim part is fine, no bracha), skip parade. Everything else is fine. That is all. Mind you this is big kids, if it were elementary, not sure how it would be.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 9:04 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Skip hallel on yom haatzmaut (tehillim part is fine, no bracha), skip parade. Everything else is fine. That is all. Mind you this is big kids, if it were elementary, not sure how it would be.

Doesn't that pose a problem for classes like Contemporary Israel?
My children's school is infused on a regular bases with Zionism. There are Beni Aviva shlichot there. It is a fundamental part of their education and experience.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 9:15 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Doesn't that pose a problem for classes like Contemporary Israel?
My children's school is infused on a regular bases with Zionism. There are Beni Aviva shlichot there. It is a fundamental part of their education and experience.

Nothing else is an issue, at least where we are. It is okay for them to be exposed to all types of customs, minhagim, viewpoints.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 9:31 pm
I've been trying to think all day if I have any ideas. I only have one that has popped in my head: TA Baltimore's mesivta. Fairly laid back but good boys, basketball games...

amother
Blue

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 9:43 pm
chocolatecake wrote:
Rambam and DRS are both good schools, I would consider them RWMO - on their websites they both say they are Zionist. MAY used to be part or South Shore and broke away a few years back. They are modern yeshivish. The Rosh Yeshiva and rabbeim are black hat and they are not Zionist. All three schools the general path is one yr in Israel and then college and they all have very good secular studies departments.

I agree that these are good suggestions to look into based on what you are describing, especially MAY.

monseymom25

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 9:44 pm
Quote:
Yeshiva Scum,

Sorry but what a horrible way to refer to Jewish children!

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 10:15 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I would always advocate speaking with the Menahel, discussing your specific situation and needs. See if the school has space, can meet your needs, and if they think it is a reasonable place for your son at this time. It is not fair to you, your son, or the school, to misrepresent the situation as you want to make sure they can meet his needs and not set him up for failure.

We haven’t misrepresented anything. There were numerous and extenuating factors at play including that he’s growing and changing. It’s been a moving target. When things don’t work out it’s really put my DS off. IME the yeshivas tell all of the same things particularly “warm rebbeim”. We do our histadlus research visit spend Shabbos.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 10:16 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I've been trying to think all day if I have any ideas. I only have one that has popped in my head: TA Baltimore's mesivta. Fairly laid back but good boys, basketball games...

Thank you 😊. We looked into it

j123

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 10:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you have contact info? Google gave me security companies.

I found this site https://www.priority-1.org/

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 1:20 am
j123 wrote:
I found this site https://www.priority-1.org/

I think this is correct contact info. Excellent idea.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 10:33 am
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned contacting Rabbi Binyamin Strauss in Lakewood, who is the recognized expert in every high school option for boys in North America. He's extremely busy, so you have to be a little pushy to get through to him, but he will talk to you, meet with your son, and advise you about what options to consider and which to cross off your list.

He's got his finger on the pulse of every school in the tri-state area and beyond, and may also have some out-of-the-box ideas that you didn't think of. Search his name on this site to get his contact info.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics