Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
A true New Yorker

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 12:34 pm
Anyone else fed up with living in ny?
I never thought I’ll be able to part with the city I love. I am born and bread manhattanite and I never could fathom every really being ok with leaving.
Yet after this whole pandemic I want to move anywhere, but here.
I hate it here.
I feel cooped up, I feel like this gave me a black and white reality check as to what the quality of life here is without our daily grind and distractions.
I don’t remember this myself, but I hear from a lot of friends that that’s how they felt right after 911 and only the true New York’s stuck it out..
I’m not sure how I feel, I wonder if this is a passing feeling brought on by extreme events or people can really change their minds and views that drastically...

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 12:37 pm
I live in one of NYC's suburbs and have been itching to get out for the last year since the spate of liberal laws hit us, bags, illegals, vaccines, tenants, etc. Unfortunately with family living close by it doesn't look like I'll be leaving anytime soon. But if I do, I'd go far. Florida, Arizona, Colorado, heck I'll even go to Wyoming!

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 12:41 pm
I'm with you, OP.
Just reality, I dont know where I'd actually go. My family would feel most comfortable in a heimish-comfortable community. My husband is from another country and I dont think I'd move that far, and Monsey or the like just seems too close.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 12:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone else fed up with living in ny?
I never thought I’ll be able to part with the city I love. I am born and bread manhattanite and I never could fathom every really being ok with leaving.
Yet after this whole pandemic I want to move anywhere, but here.
I hate it here.
I feel cooped up, I feel like this gave me a black and white reality check as to what the quality of life here is without our daily grind and distractions.
I don’t remember this myself, but I hear from a lot of friends that that’s how they felt right after 911 and only the true New York’s stuck it out..
I’m not sure how I feel, I wonder if this is a passing feeling brought on by extreme events or people can really change their minds and views that drastically...

I don't live in NYC but in a different busy city and I feel the same way, even though deep down I really love it here. I feel its a common theme right now and it's gonna pass eventually.

icebreaker

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 12:43 pm
I’m actually the opposite. Moved to suburban Connecticut and missing NYC something terrible. I am happy to be out of NYC now during everything going on, but we are definitely thinking of moving back.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 1:11 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
I'm with you, OP.
Just reality, I dont know where I'd actually go. My family would feel most comfortable in a heimish-comfortable community. My husband is from another country and I dont think I'd move that far, and Monsey or the like just seems too close.

Monsey is still NY!!!

amother
Blush

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 1:20 pm
I have nothing against NYC per se. Most of what I dislike about living here I could fix by moving to another part of town if I were willing to spend that kind of money. I do wish my apt. had a balcony or better yet a house with a yard but lots of people have balconies and in the outer boros people have houses with yards. I'm not looking forward to going back to work on the subway because keeping six feet away from people is impossible--which would be fine if everyone covered their faces properly but they don't. Plenty of people drive to work. If I really wanted to I could buy a car and pay half my paycheck to park it, and then I wouldn't have to take the subway to work. Or I could take a cab for the duration of the covid emergency, though the cost would be painful in the extreme.

But I appreciate living near multiple world-class medical centers, in an area where kosher food is readily available, there are multiple shuls, I don't have to worry that my children will be denied admission to a school because someone doesn't like my mode of dress. I love knowing that I can get to work in the worst weather because I travel underground. I love the huge library system that lets me read almost anything I want. I love being able to walk to the post office, grocery, and most other day to day services. I love that we don't have to walk a mile and a half to shul. We could, if we wanted to attend the shul a mile and a half away, and some people do, but we don't have to. I love that people don't have to ask me "where's that? Are there Jews there?" when I tell them where I'm from. I love that we have a huge public university system that my kids can commute to and that doesn't cost as much as much in tuition as a modest house.

OK, I'll admit this: I hate NYC in the summer. The concrete absorbs the heat all day and reflects it back all night, so our apt. never cools off. It's hot, it's humid, and on Friday afternoons the air quality is the pits with all those vehicles lining up just to get out of town. And that's when I love the subway the most, because I'm whizzing along without worrying about traffic. That, and when cars are getting bogged down in the snow left and right.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 1:38 pm
Housing prices are what made me want to get away for years.
New laws this past year gave me even more reasons to go.
I am chassidish and want my sons in a school that will enable them to continue this derech and where they will not stand out.
Unfortunately for me, in the US, there is OOT community with affordable housing that fits the bill of what I'm looking for.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 1:39 pm
The liberals are killing it all. Especially our horrible mayor.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 1:49 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Monsey is still NY!!!

No Manhattanite would agree with you, but I think we're talking about NYC.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 2:09 pm
Oh I'm with you OP. I'm a die hard brooklynite, this is my whole world. But I am so absolutely fed up I don't think I can survive here much longer. The pandemic of course but also the ridiculous laws like the bag ban, the complete indifference to the anti semitic attacks that went on for months and now these riots. Forget it, I'm so done. This isn't the Brooklyn I love.

Moonlight

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 2:50 pm
I moved oot this year and am so glad we are not in nyc for this pandemic

zaq

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 3:56 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Monsey is still NY!!!

But it is not, and never will be Enn-Why-SEE!

chanatron1000

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 4:17 pm
NYC uses propaganda to distract from what a garbage city it is.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 4:29 pm
I love this city. I have always loved this city. There is so much heart and hustle. Today a riot fueled teenager threatened me. The continued lockdown will have more fall-out than we have begun to see.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 4:32 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
The liberals are killing it all. Especially our horrible mayor.

He publicly bickers with and shames the NYPD. The NY Post this evening has an article about the results of leaders not condemning unlawful behavior.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 6:00 pm
I really hope a lot of people leave so housing gets a bit more affordable.

I love NYC. I love Brooklyn.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics