Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Thank you Gift for a man

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 6:48 am
Any suggestions for a meaningful gift of thanks to a man who gave hours of his time in assisting us? He is a yeshivishe working type, grandfather, and comfortable financially. Price range around $500.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 8:09 am
It's always nice to give a gift, but in this case, would you consider a donation to a tzedaka that is important to him? Sponsoring a day of learning or a shiur in his honor? You can also send flowers to the house, to thank his wife for the time you took her husband away from her.

We have occasionally been in position to help people in the community. I don't want more stuff, and especially not if I think the people who bought it can't afford the gift. But a donation to the scholarship fund at the local elementary school, or the mikva, or tomchei shabbos is precious.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 9:09 am
Silver becher

Art

Hand illustrated Haggadah or Pirkei Avot
http://www.artchazin.com/html/......html

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 3:50 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
It's always nice to give a gift, but in this case, would you consider a donation to a tzedaka that is important to him? Sponsoring a day of learning or a shiur in his honor? You can also send flowers to the house, to thank his wife for the time you took her husband away from her.

We have occasionally been in position to help people in the community. I don't want more stuff, and especially not if I think the people who bought it can't afford the gift. But a donation to the scholarship fund at the local elementary school, or the mikva, or tomchei shabbos is precious.

THIS. It's highly unlikely that this man lacks a silver becher and guaranteed his wife doesn't want another thing to polish.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 6:43 pm
If your ok with a gift certificate give one to a local Judaica store. He can get seforim or art

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 7:26 pm
A mezuzah might be a nice gift.

Moonlight

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 7:40 pm
Gift certificate to fancy restaurant?

DVOM

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 7:41 pm
A male co-worker of mine was enormously supportive this year. I bought gifts for his kids (a few big lego sets). Does the guy have kids?

Edit: hmmmm....just read your post again. This idea wouldn't work for a grandpa. Does he have any special interests?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 8:21 pm
Speak to a sofer for a custom artwork

amother
Copper

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 8:26 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Speak to a sofer for a custom artwork

Is that in the $500 price range?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 8:39 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Is that in the $500 price range?

There are more and less expensive options and depending on the sofers writing. But yes, for $500 let’s say, you can get a beautiful large custom artwork border and למנצח written in menorah form

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 10:01 pm
Thank you all for your ideas. We keep alternating between donation in memory of one of his family members, or customized item through a sofer. He gave selflessly in assisting us (and also the community) that we want something meaningful to show how grateful we are. Its a challenge and your suggestions are truly helpful and greatly appreciated.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics