Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Tim Cook (aaple ceo) email to employees

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 11:05 pm
I saw an email that Tim Cook sent to his employees. He's obviously a very bright guy. I'm sure before sending the email it's read by a team of high priced look lawyers who approved it. I'm quoting verbatim from the email:

"The painful past is still present today- not only in the form of violence, but in the everyday experience of deeply rooted discrimination".

His next sentence is confusing for me:

"We see it in our criminal justice system, in the disproportionate toll of disease on black and brown communities".

I know blacks were hit harder with Covid than most other people. I assume this has something to do with their genetics in the same way ashkenazi jews suffer from chrons more than others.

Did I misunderstand something? What is this man saying? Was he saying that Covid-19 is racist?

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 11:21 pm
I thought blacks were hit harder due to socioeconomic status.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 11:22 pm
why do you think he was talking about covid-19? (and a virus can't be racist, only a human being can be racist).

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 11:26 pm
I imagine he is saying that blacks were not treated as well in the hospitals, causing a disproportionately higher death rate. (Many say similar about Jews.)

thriver

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 11:27 pm
Black people were hit harder because they, along with other minorities, have higher rates of comorbidities.

But more:

“The communities where many black people reside are in poor areas characterized by high housing density, high crime rates, and poor access to healthy foods. Low socioeconomic status alone is a risk factor for total mortality independent of any other risk factors. These social determinants of health must be considered in a complex equation, including known cardiovascular risk factors, which puts underrepresented minorities who live in at-risk communities at greater risk for disease, not just for cardiovascular diseases but now for COVID-19 mortality.“

https://jamanetwork.com/journa.....64789

Read the full article for more

thriver

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 11:30 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
I imagine he is saying that blacks were not treated as well in the hospitals, causing a disproportionately higher death rate. (Many say similar about Jews.)

No. Not for Blacks. Not for Jews. Covid-19 deaths are happening all over the world regardless of color, ethnicity, religion. Stop with the conspiracy theory please. See scientific based information in my post above.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 11:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I saw an email that Tim Cook sent to his employees. He's obviously a very bright guy. I'm sure before sending the email it's read by a team of high priced look lawyers who approved it. I'm quoting verbatim from the email:

"The painful past is still present today- not only in the form of violence, but in the everyday experience of deeply rooted discrimination".

His next sentence is confusing for me:

"We see it in our criminal justice system, in the disproportionate toll of disease on black and brown communities".

I know blacks were hit harder with Covid than most other people. I assume this has something to do with their genetics in the same way ashkenazi jews suffer from chrons more than others.

Did I misunderstand something? What is this man saying? Was he saying that Covid-19 is racist?

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

What does covid 19 have to do with our criminal justice system?

Do you even KNOW what the criminal justice system IS?

Amarante

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 11:37 pm
Why is it confusing.

Black and Hispanic zip codes have far higher rates of infection and death.

They are poorer and many lack access to medical care so have more underlying conditions. Many are not lucky enough to live in states like N.Y. and NJ which have generous Medicaid coverage.

Many are employed in the kinds of jobs which were low paying and couldn’t be performed through telecommuting so they either lost their jobs or had to come in and risk infection.

Neighborhoods are denser and so social distancing in families more difficult.

Statistically they are far more hard hit than white people.

And Jews don’t have a genetic predisposition nor do people of color. Secular Jews were not particularly hard hit. It is Orthodox neighborhoods with certain lifestyles that were disproportionately hard hit. In Brooklyn, the Borough Park zip code remains one of NYC’s hit spots.

DrMom

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 11:40 pm
What's the rest of the email say?

Sounds like you only quoted part of it. I'm sure he explains his purpose at some point.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 11:41 pm
DrMom wrote:
What's the rest of the email say?

Sounds like you only quoted part of it. I'm sure he explains his purpose at some point.

Team,

Right now, there is a pain deeply etched in the soul of our nation and in the hearts of millions. To stand together, we must stand up for one another, and recognize the fear, hurt, and outrage rightly provoked by the senseless killing of George Floyd and a much longer history of racism.

That painful past is still present today — not only in the form of violence, but in the everyday experience of deeply rooted discrimination. We see it in our criminal justice system, in the disproportionate toll of disease on Black and Brown communities, in the inequalities in neighborhood services and the educations our children receive. While our laws have changed, the reality is that their protections are still not universally applied.

We’ve seen progress since the America I grew up in, but it is similarly true that communities of color continue to endure discrimination and trauma.

I have heard from so many of you that you feel afraid — afraid in your communities, afraid in your daily lives, and, most cruelly of all, afraid in your own skin. We can have no society worth celebrating unless we can guarantee freedom from fear for every person who gives this country their love, labor and life.

At Apple, our mission has and always will be to create technology that empowers people to change the world for the better. We’ve always drawn strength from our diversity, welcomed people from every walk of life to our stores around the world, and strived to build an Apple that is inclusive of everyone.

But together, we must do more. Today, Apple is making donations to a number of groups, including the Equal Justice Initiative, a non-profit committed to challenging racial injustice, ending mass incarceration, and protecting the human rights of the most vulnerable people in American society. For the month of June, and in honor of the Juneteenth holiday, we’ll also be matching two-for-one all employee donations via Benevity.

To create change, we have to reexamine our own views and actions in light of a pain that is deeply felt but too often ignored. Issues of human dignity will not abide standing on the sidelines. To our colleagues in the Black community — we see you. You matter, your lives matter, and you are valued here at Apple.

For all of our colleagues hurting right now, please know that you are not alone, and that we have resources to support you. It’s more important than ever to talk to one another, and to find healing in our common humanity. We also have free resources that can help, including our Employee Assistance Program and mental health resources you can learn about on the People site.

This is a moment when many people may want nothing more than a return to normalcy, or to a status quo that is only comfortable if we avert our gaze from injustice. As difficult as it may be to admit, that desire is itself a sign of privilege. George Floyd’s death is shocking and tragic proof that we must aim far higher than a “normal” future, and build one that lives up to the highest ideals of equality and justice.

In the words of Martin Luther King, “Every society has its protectors of status quo and its fraternities of the indifferent who are notorious for sleeping through revolutions. Today, our very survival depends on our ability to stay awake, to adjust to new ideas, to remain vigilant and to face the challenge of change.“

With every breath we take, we must commit to being that change, and to creating a better, more just world for everyone.

Tim

thriver

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 11:42 pm
Amarante wrote:
Why is it confusing.

Black and Hispanic zip codes have far higher rates of infection and death.

They are poorer and many lack access to medical care so have more underlying conditions. Many are not lucky enough to live in states like N.Y. and NJ which have generous Medicaid coverage.

Many are employed in the kinds of jobs which were low paying and couldn’t be performed through telecommuting so they either lost their jobs or had to come in and risk infection.

Neighborhoods are denser and so social distancing in families more difficult.

Statistically they are far more hard hit than white people.

And Jews don’t have a genetic predisposition nor do people of color. Secular Jews were not particularly hard hit. It is Orthodox neighborhoods with certain lifestyles that were disproportionately hard hit. In Brooklyn, the Borough Park zip code remains one of NYC’s hit spots.

Thank you Amarante. Anyone who still believes in the “healthcare workers are out to get us conspiracy” please read.

DrMom

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 11:48 pm
So the point of the letter is:

1. Virtue signalling. Yeah, I'm a rich White guy, but I'm an ally of all those rioting oppressed people. All you Black employees, please take note!

2. To explain why I'm using this crisis to support more Leftist causes. (My guess; to be honest, I don't know much about the organization he'll be donating to.)

3. To make sure employees know their company can help if needed.

avrahamama

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 12:06 am
So then maybe they should be looting whole foods and vitamin Shoppes.

Instead of Nikes and timberlands.

OP wasn't being obtuse. She literally did think that genetically blacks have a harder time with the virus. Like the theory that men suffer more as well. Or the blood type theory. Or the thick neck theory.

Yes comorbidity is the reason. But there are other theories that have been floated around.

In any case. They should not be dontating money to justice for all or whatever ... They should be donating to Fresh Air Fund and school food kitchens and tutoring programs and agencies that will help th apply for Medicaid and find doctors that are part of their community to help them do outreach. and dumping all their money into the actual communities instead of the hands of a bunch of social justice warriors.

Our pediatrician accepts all insurance. And he hired Spanish speaking staff and he had helped soooo many families turn around their children's health. Obese children living off McDonald's came to appointments showing weight loss and stronger immune systems. He had spoken to families about their diets and entertainment habits.

It's so sad that they'd rather fund bail money for protests instead of giving the families that have been out of work, food insecure, whatever, support.

White privilege means they'd rather give $ to the "cause"

I went into those neighborhoods. The kids who got to go to camp in the summer and I tutored during the school year. They mostly ended up in some of the best colleges. Give to the orgs that can help change lives. Not the ones that want to see the cycle go on and on.

Also in terms of police brutality ... Force the police work to have a more human side. One shift patrolling another shift offering community support. One shift responding to crimes and then another shift literally playing basketball with kids so they feel safe and cared for.

Sorry. Ranting and off topic. Forgive me.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 12:09 am
DrMom wrote:
So the point of the letter is:

1. Virtue signalling. Yeah, I'm a rich White guy, but I'm an ally of all those rioting oppressed people. All you Black employees, please take note!

2. To explain why I'm using this crisis to support more Leftist causes. (My guess; to be honest, I don't know much about the organization he'll be donating to.)

3. To make sure employees know their company can help if needed.

I thought it was a nice letter. (the rioting is not about oppression).

Fox

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 8:55 am
Perhaps if Mr. Cook is concerned about equal opportunity in America, he could bring back the jobs manufacturing Apple products from China to some of the neighborhoods most affected by rioting.

Making a donation to some self-serving non-profit and writing a stupid email while deliberately taking jobs away from Americans? I don't know how thess people look at themselves in the mirror.

avrahamama

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 9:07 am
Fox wrote:
Perhaps if Mr. Cook is concerned about equal opportunity in America, he could bring back the jobs manufacturing Apple products from China to some of the neighborhoods most affected by rioting.

Making a donation to some self-serving non-profit and writing a stupid email while deliberately taking jobs away from Americans? I don't know how thess people look at themselves in the mirror.

They think they look great. They've got their cake and it's delicious. They don't believe for one sect that they're hypocrite. They just donated to equal justice!

Better to pay to open up shop in their neighborhood and offer on site childcare. Academic scholarships. After school programs. And even mortgage assistance.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics