Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Looking for an Out of Town community with Girls High School
1  2  Next

sixcrazybabies

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 3:47 am
Hi,

We are American citizens but have been living abroad doing kiruv work for the past 15 years.

We have a small, family owned business that requires us to move back to the US for the foreseeable future.

The business is online so we can move virtually anywhere. We are financially solvent and frum (yeshivish/lubavitch types). We love doing kiruv/interacting with different kinds of Jews and contributing positively to the community.

I am looking for suggestions for a small but warm out of town community which has a girls' high school (or at least is within about a 30-40 minute drive of one), with reasonably affordable housing prices as we'd like to buy right away.

Some places that have been suggested are Norfolk, Memphis, West Hartford, and Rochester NY.

Anyone have any feedback on above? Or suggestions for other places?

Thanks!

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 6:56 am
Atlanta

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 7:11 am
Detroit!

groovy1224

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 7:18 am
Dallas, TX

sixcrazybabies

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 7:31 am
Hi,

I assume that Atlanta and Detroit are more big-city type places, though?

Or am I mistaken?

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 7:38 am
Chicago. Not so small but has great chinuch and really nice community.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 8:14 am
Providence, Rhode Island

They have a girls high-school and its small and definitely out of town. My best friends family lives there and my husband and I love to visit. It feels like a really nice place the shul is very welcoming.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 8:39 am
cincinnati has a girls highschool and a lebavitch presense but most of the lebavitch people send their girls away for high school.

tryinghard

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 9:03 am
I can answer any questions about Rochester.
We have a frum day school (as well as an egalitarian community day school, not relevant to you from what you describe), a girls high school and a Yeshiva. The community is largely a mix of Chofetz Chaim yeshivish and “JPF” (just plain frum). The schools are run by Chofetz Chaim people.
Elementary is coed through third or fourth grade, depending on the year and the particular class. Once they are separated, boys are on a separate floor of the building and have completely separate schedules, programs, trips etc.
Girls school is good but really small (like 12 or 15 girls this year). They do a good job of giving the girls many opportunities of big schools - they run a full production, have a G.O. , offer several AP classes every year, etc.
Yeshiva is a small but very warm school. Pretty standard Chofetz Chaim high school (well, standard for outside of NYC). They have a dorm and about half the kids come from out of town.
Housing prices have been going up (but that’s the same virtually everywhere in this country!), but still affordable compared to most frum communities: you can get a 3 bedroom house for 180-210k, and a 4 bedroom for under 250k. Obviously prices will vary but this isn’t unrealistic.
You can check out www.TorahRochester.com and I’m happy to answer any questions on this thread or PM.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 9:34 am
You can definitely see if Cincinnati meets your criteria. Ataragirlshs.com I think is the website for the girls' high school

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 9:42 am
I love the community in Norfolk. I've visited many times and met different community members, always a pleasure.
I did not know they had a girls high school.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 10:25 am
Norfolk definitely does.
So does Savannah as of this past year if you want to add that to the list.
Didn't know that Memphis did though.

doctorima

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 10:42 am
Atlanta, Dallas, and Denver were the first 3 that came to my mind. You should also check out Phoenix, Boston, St. Louis, and Pittsburgh.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 2:31 pm
Passaic, NJ

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 2:38 pm
sixcrazybabies wrote:
Hi,

I assume that Atlanta and Detroit are more big-city type places, though?

Or am I mistaken?

The Detroit community is only near Detroit. It is primarily in the cities of Southfield and Oak Park. Both of them are small suburban cities separated from each other by one 4 lane road. It is one of the bigger out of town communities, but nothing near as big as Baltimore or Passaic. The community actually has 3 high schools. Farber- a Bnei Akiva type school, Bais Yaakov, and Darchei Torah. My daughter is in the biggest girls class in BY (grades 1-12) right now and her grade has around 45 girls.

LeahRivka

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 3:02 pm
Norfolk! Has a day school, boys yeshiva and girls high school. It is called Bina H.S. If you have any questions message me. Smile

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 3:48 pm
North Miami beach

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 5:08 pm
Milwaukee is small and has two small girls high schools, Torah Academy of Milwaukee (BY) and Hillel High School (Chabad run).

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 5:16 pm
Big/ small is very subjective. I would consider any high school with under 100 students to be small/ out of towny but it depends what op is looking for.

CLEmom

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 5:34 pm
What about Cleveland? It’s an incredibly warm community, really has a small-town feel, but it’s also big enough that you have multiple girls schools - currently three with high school divisions - to choose from. I lived there for many years and have only good things to say about it.

Housing is very affordable too! There are plenty of neighborhoods to choose from, with lots of different options in terms of pricing. We lived in a modest five bedroom house in Cleveland Heights, we sold it when we moved two years ago for $180,000.

Another major benefit to Cleveland is that there are two separate voucher programs for private schools - one is income-based, but one is for everyone. We only qualified for the general vouchers, I believe it gave us about $5,000 per year per student.

I’d be happy to tell you more offline, Cleveland really is a special and wonderful place and I’d really encourage you to look into it!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating