Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby sleeping schedule

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 8:28 am
My 7 month old baby goes to sleep at like 8 or 9pm but then wakes up an hour or 2 later thinking it's a nap. He cries and cries until I end up taking him out. Then he comes out and is so cranky and needs me to hold him and seems so tired. How do I get him to realize that it's the night and he should go back to sleep?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 8:49 am
I used to zoom in with a bottle and put her right back to sleep.
After a few weeks she stopped waking up then.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 8:59 am
How does he go to sleep? Do you nurse him or rock him to sleep? That would be a sleeping prop and will prevent him from going back to sleep on his own.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 9:09 am
I try to give him a bottle but he cries after the bottle and does the same thing. I put him to sleep with a bottle also. he doesn't take a paci which is really hard...

jewishmom6

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 9:21 am
When is his last nap?
Just make sure he is not napping too late in the afternoon.

I give my kid a bottle. If I know she is not hungry anymore I wld sing/shsh her back to bed.
Let her cry for a few minutes if need be.

They have to learn how to put themselves back to sleep.

trixx

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 9:25 am
That's really late. I put babies to sleep by 7 latest, which is best for their circadian rhythm.
Baby whisperer answers all your questions is a great book

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 9:26 am
What is his nap schedule?
And yes, as long as you’re putting him to sleep with a bottle he will need your help and a bottle to go back to sleep in the middle of the night.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 9:31 am
Rachel Shira wrote:
What is his nap schedule?
And yes, as long as you’re putting him to sleep with a bottle he will need your help and a bottle to go back to sleep in the middle of the night.

He sleeps in the morning for 2 hrs then again at around 3 or 4 for another 2 hours. In the middle of the night when he cries for a bottle I give him and he goes right back to sleep. But when I give him a bottle after he wakes up like at 10 or 11 he thinks it's time to wake up and doesn't go back to sleep. Just cries and cries till I end up taking him out.

jewishmom6

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 9:35 am
trixx wrote:
That's really late. I put babies to sleep by 7 latest, which is best for their circadian rhythm.

not if the baby is napping for two hours after 3

and I did not like baby whisperer

stillnewlywed

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 9:51 am
On a 2 nap schedule you need a full 4 hours before bed in order to have enough sleep drive for your baby to sleep through the night. Also - if you are giving a bottle at bedtime that is a sleep association and your baby will need a bottle to fall back asleep during sleep cycles.
How long is his night and what is your bedtime routine?

stillnewlywed

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 9:52 am
trixx wrote:

Not all babies can handle a 12 hour night and lots of us don't want to wake up before 7 am...
8 pm is a great bedtime for a 7/7:30 am wake time.

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 10:30 am
Your baby is napping a lot and is likely not tired enough to sleep through the night (meaning with a feed or two). I would cut nap time to 3 hours to start and see if that helps. 4 hours awake before bed after the last nap. If you want it to really be fixed though, you’ll need to teach him to fall asleep independently at bedtime.

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 11:25 am
In order to break the bottle to sleep association, he’ll need to fall asleep on his own without it and then not have a bottle for about 5 hours after bedtime.

zoom

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 1:14 pm
is the room dark when you give him a bottle?
where do u feed him?
does he feed himself yet? if yes mayb you can just give him the bottle to hold and supervise.

would it help to push off his bedtime a little bit later?
or wake him a little bit earlier form his afternoon nap?

I have a 6 month old bh and I find that every single baby is different and there is no set amount of sleep each one needs.
I think 4 hours is a long time to stay awake.

stillnewlywed

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 1:48 pm
zoom wrote:
is the room dark when you give him a bottle?
where do u feed him?
does he feed himself yet? if yes mayb you can just give him the bottle to hold and supervise.

would it help to push off his bedtime a little bit later?
or wake him a little bit earlier form his afternoon nap?

I have a 6 month old bh and I find that every single baby is different and there is no set amount of sleep each one needs.
I think 4 hours is a long time to stay awake.

4 hours before bed IS a lot for a 6 month old but you can't have less with 2 naps. If your kid can only handle 2-3 hours before bed then they still need 3 naps. My 6 month old is fine with 4 hour wake time, so we switched to 2 naps and his nights are amazing bh.

Teomima

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 1:53 pm
All kids and parents are different, but based on my experiences and what you're saying, I'd say he's probably napping too much then going to bed too late. Start with moving the morning and afternoon naps earlier (what time is he waking up at in the morning?), moving bedtime to 6-7pm, and if absolutely necessary, cut one of his nap times short.

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 1:57 pm
Are you sure he has no reflux issues?
That might be a reason too...

zoom

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 2:01 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:
4 hours before bed IS a lot for a 6 month old but you can't have less with 2 naps. If your kid can only handle 2-3 hours before bed then they still need 3 naps. My 6 month old is fine with 4 hour wake time, so we switched to 2 naps and his nights are amazing bh.

so whats his nap schedule like now?

I wake my baby at 5 and he usually goes to bed around 7.30pm but he doesnt sleep a lot in the morning at all and if were out and about and he misses part or all of his afternnoon sleep hes exhausted and really hard to keep him up till his bedtime.

stillnewlywed

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 2:06 pm
zoom wrote:
so whats his nap schedule like now?

I wake my baby at 5 and he usually goes to bed around 7.30pm but he doesnt sleep a lot in the morning at all and if were out and about and he misses part or all of his afternnoon sleep hes exhausted and really hard to keep him up till his bedtime.

Wakes about 7:15
Nap 10 - 1130ish
Nap 245 - 4 ish
Bedtime at 8

Sleeps through the night
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics