Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Northfield stock did a nosedive in 2020, what to do?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 1:32 pm
What are the experts predictions? Will it continue going down, or will it rebound. I think the original offering was $10 a share, in 2016-2017 it was $20 a share, and now its down to $10.

https://www.nasdaq.com/market-...../nfbk

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 2:00 pm
Don't buy single stocks. Invest in a plain vanilla index fund that mimics the market as a whole. Sure, there can be downs, as we but had, but over time, the market rises.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 2:02 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Don't buy single sticks. Invest in a plain vanilla index fund that mimics the market as a whole. Sure, there can be downs, as we but had, but over time, the market rises.

The question is about the Northfield shares, that at some point were $20. The question is will they stay pretty much the same, or rise again, or continue falling. I need a crystal ball.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 2:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The question is about the Northfield shares, that at some point were $20. The question is will they stay pretty much the same, or rise again, or continue falling. I need a crystal ball.

There is no crystal ball. Tying yourself to a single stock is always a bad idea. Sorry.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 2:07 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
There is no crystal ball. Tying yourself to a single stock is always a bad idea. Sorry.

Nope - not always a bad a idea.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 2:09 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Nope - not always a bad a idea.

ok, which stock are you pretty certain about?

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 2:49 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:

No one can be certain of any stock. Even the most sophisticated investors aren’t infallible and major brokerage firms and hedge funds employ analysts who specialize in sectors and they aren’t infallible.

For most people of relatively modest means, the best investment strategy is to put money in an index fund through Vamguard or Fidelity because they have low management fees so in the long run, the return will be better than someone who attempts to chase the market.

I have mostly mutual funds, both stock and bonds in various sectors. I have a few individual stocks but no individual stock is a sure thing. Disney was supposed to be safe and it collapsed because SHO could have predicted the impact of the pandemic in all of its operations.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 2:53 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:

I'm not pretty certain about anything right now.

I am certain however, that buying single stocks and building your own portfolio is not always a bad idea. People can make a great deal of money this way. Single stocks can outperform the index.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics