Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Have you heard of the name Nitzevet / Nitzseves?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 5:11 pm
Apparently Nitzevet was Dovid Hamelech's mother.

I'd never heard of the name until today whilst looking into girls "shavous related" names that arent Ruth or Naomi.

Looking for any depth or understanding to the name and whether you know anyone with this name.

I understand it means "standing" or "stood" as in she stood by her son.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 5:16 pm
Please dont do it.

hodeez

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 5:17 pm
Never heard of it

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 6:16 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Please dont do it.

Very helpful and insightful.

Thank you.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 6:18 pm
I had a camper that had that name. Funnily enough I read on Shavuos that it she was Dovid Hamelech's mother and finally understood where she had that name from.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 6:21 pm
I know of a Nitzevet, but not much more of the name.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 6:23 pm
I know of one. I'm very used it to it by now but never heard of anyone else with the name.

Frumme

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 6:26 pm
I used to work with a Nitza-- might be a derivative or nickname for Nitzevet.

Learning

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 7:00 pm
Frumme wrote:
I used to work with a Nitza-- might be a derivative or nickname for Nitzevet.

Nitza is an Israeli name. Nitzeves is a different name. I never heard about it but it sounds leumi dati especially if you Pronounce It as nitzevet. sounds something a little military. Like someone who stands watch to protect the campground. It also reminds me the eshes lot became נציב מלח. What about michal. She was David’s wife.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 7:13 pm
I know a Nitzeves! It's an unusual name, but I think it's pretty.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 7:35 pm
I know 2

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 7:59 pm
I don't know any. I know saying that isn't especially helpful, but that's why most people who haven't heard of it will just ignore this thread or read but not reply. A poll may be slightly more accurate, but even so, people who know a Nitzevet are more inclined to answer.

tryinghard

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 8:45 pm
I know a Nitzevet. Ultimately when you give your child an unusual name you better daven that they have a lot of self-confidence. Some kids love having a name nobody has and nobody has heard of, and some hate it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 4:57 am
Thanks for your replies.

Seems like she was a great woman in her own right and I was wondering why I'd never heard it before and wasn't so common.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 7:10 am
I've never heard of it. Both Nitza and Nitzan are common enough in Israel, but totally unrelated meaning.

Some people like their unusual names and some hate them. I knew an Israeli girl who went by Shemesh (sun) and I thought "wow, she has a really unusual name!" Turns out her first name was something super common and Shemesh was her last name, but she davka preferred Shemesh.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 7:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Very helpful and insightful.

Thank you.

Sorry I couldn’t get past your first line without commenting. To elaborate, in my experience Unusual names are setting your child up for a likelihood of being bullied, low self esteem, teasing , etc unless she happens to be really strong emotionally. It doesn’t matter how beautiful it sounds or the meaning behind it- their is a reason most healthy people don’t name their children uncommon names.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 7:43 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Sorry I couldn’t get past your first line without commenting. To elaborate, in my experience Unusual names are setting your child up for a likelihood of being bullied, low self esteem, teasing , etc unless she happens to be really strong emotionally. It doesn’t matter how beautiful it sounds or the meaning behind it- their is a reason most healthy people don’t name their children uncommon names.

I think it depends on many factors, not just how uncommon the name is. Like in America names like Leilani, Jessa, Laney, Raelyn would be very uncommon (have you ever known someone with one of those names?) but I wouldn't think they'd be made fun of because they have a style that sounds normal. But if you name your kid "Poopsy" that's just wrong.

etky

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 8:12 am
I've never heard it used and I'm not sure I would give the name.
Just adding two other facets:
1. Aside from being a verb meaning 'standing', Nitzevet is also a noun in modern Hebrew that means a female extra, as in actors in movies.
2. Although Nitzevet is not mentioned in Tanach as the mother of King David, the word appears when Hanna brings Shmuel to the Mishkan and presents him to Eli. She describes herself to Eli as :
י אֲנִי הָאִשָּׁה הַנִּצֶּבֶת עִמְּכָה בָּזֶה לְהִתְפַּלֵּל אֶל יְהוָה

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 8:24 am
I know someone who converted and specifically chose Nitzevet as her Jewish name. Its a beautiful name and you can call her Nitza if there are any bullyin problems as mentioned by some posters above (really no one should be bullying anyone).

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 8:28 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
I think it depends on many factors, not just how uncommon the name is. Like in America names like Leilani, Jessa, Laney, Raelyn would be very uncommon (have you ever known someone with one of those names?) but I wouldn't think they'd be made fun of because they have a style that sounds normal. But if you name your kid "Poopsy" that's just wrong.

I agree. I have a very unique name but it's pretty and sounds very normal. I had zero self confidence as a kid but I always loved my name. I love it because its unique and pretty.

To me nitzevet sounds normal so I don't think it would be a problem. But it definitely depends on your community also.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names