Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Zinc can cause loss of smell and taste

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 12:23 am
Due to Coronavirus symptoms I started taking Zinc, within 24 hrs I got a weird taste in my throat and my sense of smell was gone... after some research (and an article of coronavirus healing tips in local heimish papers) I learned that Zinc can cause a temporary loss of sense of smell and taste! I stopped taking it and BH my sense of smell returned. I think people arent aware of this so just posting it as a PSA Wink

boat

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 12:35 am
Its a known symptom of the coronavirus...its not from the zinc

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 12:42 am
And I read the opposite, that covid depletes the body's zinc stores, leading to loss of smell and taste, and supplementing with zinc will bring it back.

CiCi

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 12:48 am
I had the same symptoms without taking zinc. Thse are known symptoms of the coronavirus. It's very likely you got these particular symptoms of coronavirus around the time that you started taking zinc and you attributed it to taking zinc.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 2:50 am
You would need an awful lot of zinc to do that! unless you are taking an absurd amount, it's highly unlikely that zinc caused you to lose small and taste senses.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 3:11 am
Dh, myself, and all but one of my kids that had corona lost our taste and smell. Dh was the only one taking zinc and he anyway only started taking it a week after he lost his taste and smell.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 11:23 pm
I lost my taste and smell anyone that had this know how long it lasted for?

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 11:33 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:

I haven’t had smell since pesach!! Taste came back and now again all I taste and smell is like a “roasted garlic” taste and smell which is gross Sad

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 11:42 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
I haven’t had smell since pesach!! Taste came back and now again all I taste and smell is like a “roasted garlic” taste and smell which is gross Sad

Omg that's horrible! I can't smell a thing the only thing that has to taste to me is sweet tasting food, some stuff I eat /drink has a metallic taste!

sarahmalka

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 11:49 pm
It's not oral zinc that has that caution about loss of smell, it's zinc nasal spray. Which is off the market.
Glad your sense of smell and taste came back, OP.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 11:07 pm
My family have been completely isolating since March. Bh no symptoms but my dh convinced me to try the zinc lozenges that he was taking as an extra precaution. I took one. Immediately after, I lost my sense if taste for about 6 hrs. I'm certain it was a reaction to the zinc

yksraya

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 11:38 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:

For me that was a good few days of no taste or smell. More like a week or so. I stuffed up on multi vitamin, b-12, vit c and vit a (basically what I had at home and thought can help). And the next day, my smell and taste started coming back.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 12:35 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
My family have been completely isolating since March. Bh no symptoms but my dh convinced me to try the zinc lozenges that he was taking as an extra precaution. I took one. Immediately after, I lost my sense if taste for about 6 hrs. I'm certain it was a reaction to the zinc

Yep I’ve definitely heard this from others as well!

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 10:58 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:

wow

took yesterday 2 x zinc with flavor, and tasted strange, and since then taste of everything is funny.

is it Zinc related?

bh didnt have covid yet and hope not to get it. this happened 3 days after took first dose of vaccine.
All my limited social interaction is always with a mask on, and really not many.

Does it seem like I got infected?

Other than taste, no other symptoms.

Any reason to do PCR?

Igg wont help now since I am a few days post vaccine.

I was hoping to stay safe

Comments?

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 12:10 am
https://easyhealthoptions.com/.....ency/

The zinc taste test is at the end of the article. It might explain everything.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 12:16 am
Yes, known thing about zinc, it's tricky.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics