Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Israeli / Yerushalayim Imas: Are you sending kids to school

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 1:58 am
I don't feel like sending my kids to school at this point.
The numbers are constantly rising, with most new cases starting in schools.
Even with the precautions (masks, being 2 meters apart....), They're kids!
They touch the same surfaces, and I'm sure that they don't always keep the full 2 meter distance.
Last week was amazing! I felt like a new person! I had space, it was great for my emotional well-being, but I don't want any of us getting sick!
Undecided....🤔

Success10

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:17 am
My kids are in school, but I have a feeling it won't be for long. I'm not terrified of getting sick, but I don't blame you for being afraid. The schools are a breeding ground for Covid. And they might be back home again anyway within days.

yonabets

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:56 am
Since Sunday I keep the children home..

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 3:00 am
Kids are home, um....yay?
I was so looking forward to life going back to normal already!
So not in the mood for more restrictions 😒

Aylat

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 3:07 am
My kids are at school and so am I. As a teacher I can confirm your doubt that pupils keep a distance from each other - the teenagers at my school definitely don't. And we have to constantly remind them to put their masks back on.

I pessimistically am worried that we'll return to lockdown just in time to cancel the exams they're studying hard for. And my son's bar mitzva which is in a month and he has been learning the leining for almost a year.

Jewishmom8

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 4:12 am
everyone is finally back at school.
I do not think that people will stand for everything to stop again.
they should close the hot spots and that is it.
this virus is going to be around for a long time.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 4:14 am
We need Moshiach now!!!

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 4:31 am
I'm in Israel, but not Jerusalem and only have one kid who is in gan and yes I did send her back. If I had a bunch of kids in a bunch of schools, I'm not sure what I'd do.

Honestly I'm not afraid of us getting Corona because the entire household is under 30 and with no underlying diseases, but I'd be afraid that someone would be exposed and then the government would make us do bidud and bidud is hell. Emotionally and financially I don't think I could handle another bidud.

I've heard it said that Corona is mutating into a less harmful virus. Hopefully that is the case and they'll decide that it's relatively harmless enough that we can just stop worrying about it. Beezrat Hashem.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 5:00 am
Yeah, I'm also more afraid of having to be quarantined for 2 weeks, if they would find someone with the virus in their school.
I'd rather keep them home on my own terms, but it's really hard.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 5:15 am
My kids are in school. My oldest daughter goes to high school (dorm) in Yerushalayim. Many of the parents didn’t send the girls back on Sunday. She had only 8 girls in her class yesterday and they’re doing zoom classes for the girls at home. I told her she can come back too if she wants. She’ll decide today.
ETA
I’m not so much afraid of getting sick but we’re supposed to meet up with parents and grandparent for Shabbat and I’m a bit nervous about that.

Zeleze

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 5:23 am
Since last week yes, until notified otherwise

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 5:31 am
I live opposite a school and see what goes on in there. Officially they wear masks but not everyone is, maybe 2 out of 10 girls have the masks covering their faces and others either with no masks or pulled down to their chins.

They run around at recess touching each other skipping next to each other. This goes for the younger and older grades.

They should skip recess in my opinion and just make a shorter day. There are no teachers outside supervising. It's really not a responsible way to have the schools open. No wonder the cases are going up.

mochamix18

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 5:43 am
I’ve been sending my son to gan. Am I afraid? Mixed.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 5:49 am
I don’t live in yerushalayim. I sent to gan initially, but I didn’t this week. Everyone has a cold, lots of people coughing and not getting checked, people in the neighborhood acting like it’s over, no social distancing, masks on chins or none at all.... I was able to stay home from work this week because I’m officially in quarantine. I have a cold and cough- just got tested today. Don’t know what’ll happen next week but I feel really uncomfortable sending to gan, but I don’t know how I’ll get out of going to work if I tested negative.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 5:53 am
My daughter has been going since last week. We dont like anywhere near the spikes or new cases.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 6:18 am
We've been sending them, but I am worried. It seems people are DETERMINED not to veer from the present course of opening up.

That's fine -- if they take necessary precautions. It seems pretty clear to me that they have not figured out how to make this happen in schools, and (more worrisome) that they've abandoned all efforts to try.

There were proposals to work in capsules, alternate days, etc. but those were too logistically complex and did not allow parents to go back to work full time.

But now they are sending entire schools into bidud -- a few weeks of this trend will only give a marginally better outcome than if they tried one of these experimental ideas. There are now ~10,000
teachers and students in bidud!

https://news.walla.co.il/item/3364267

And we'll face the same problem in September.

Better to tackle the problem NOW so we can get the kinks worked out before Fall.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 6:48 am
DrMom wrote:
We've been sending them, but I am worried. It seems people are DETERMINED not to veer from the present course of opening up.

That's fine -- if they take necessary precautions. It seems pretty clear to me that they have not figured out how to make this happen in schools, and (more worrisome) that they've abandoned all efforts to try.

There were proposals to work in capsules, alternate days, etc. but those were too logistically complex and did not allow parents to go back to work full time.

But now they are sending entire schools into bidud -- a few weeks of this trend will only give a marginally better outcome than if they tried one of these experimental ideas. There are now ~10,000
teachers and students in bidud!

https://news.walla.co.il/item/3364267

And we'll face the same problem in September.

Better to tackle the problem NOW so we can get the kinks worked out before Fall.

I'm not sure what you'd consider necessary precaution, but some of what people want is just impossible. For instance, tiny class sizes would help prevent spread of the virus and prevent unnecessary quarantine, but if pre-corona there were 35 kids in a class, HOW would it be possible to now make 8 kids in a class, I.e., where would all these extra teachers come from that didn't exist before Corona? It's not like pre-Corona there were a lot of unemployed teachers just sitting around waiting for jobs.

I would LOVE for class sizes to be tiny because aside from Corona, it would benefit the students tremendously to get that much more personal attention, and it would be great for the teachers to not be so overwhelmed. But the only way it would happen would be to provide some kind of incentive to train a bunch of new teachers, and then they would only finish teaching school in a few years. We can't make it happen tomorrow.

Btw, I'm not saying that you personally want unrealistic things, just in general I hear people wanting a lot that just can't happen.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 7:00 am
We just finished our two-week home isolation stint after returning from abroad so this week was my kids first time back at school.

They're so happy to be back in routine, I think we need to make the most of it while it lasts rather than keep them cooped up at home unnecessarily.

It definitely was a culture shock for me though to go out and see that life is completely back to normal here! No social distancing whatsoever, people just about wearing masks in the stores that are mandating it. Going into a crowded store, it was my first time being among a group of people for weeks. It's so ingrained in me by now to keep a distance that it felt like I was doing something wrong.

essie14

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 7:03 am
DS is in a school with grades 7-12, 4 classes per grade. He told me no one keeps their masks on. And with the way things are going in other schools, we made the decision to keep him home. And my gan DD is home as well because the gannenets all have older kids. I really do not want to have to go into bidud.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 7:12 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I'm not sure what you'd consider necessary precaution, but some of what people want is just impossible. For instance, tiny class sizes would help prevent spread of the virus and prevent unnecessary quarantine, but if pre-corona there were 35 kids in a class, HOW would it be possible to now make 8 kids in a class, I.e., where would all these extra teachers come from that didn't exist before Corona? It's not like pre-Corona there were a lot of unemployed teachers just sitting around waiting for jobs.

I would LOVE for class sizes to be tiny because aside from Corona, it would benefit the students tremendously to get that much more personal attention, and it would be great for the teachers to not be so overwhelmed. But the only way it would happen would be to provide some kind of incentive to train a bunch of new teachers, and then they would only finish teaching school in a few years. We can't make it happen tomorrow.

Btw, I'm not saying that you personally want unrealistic things, just in general I hear people wanting a lot that just can't happen.

I think this is going to take a huge effort, but I think many more creative solutions (for example, staggered days, at least for older kids) were no explored and simply dismissed as "too hard."

I do not think there are easy answers, but I don't think anybody really tried. Also, I get the feeling (maybe it's just our local schools) that schools are managed a lot less professionally and agilely than, say private companies, which made many creative and quick adjustments in order to be able to work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics