Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
June is Scoliosis Awareness Month

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 2:56 pm
It is especially prevalent in girls. Please take a moment to read about it https://www.novahealth.com/sco.....toms/
I am a lifelong sufferer, and I urge you to keep an eye out for the symptoms. Early treatment is best.

nanny24/7

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 6:07 pm
Hugs to you.
My child has it.
And bravo and thanks for spreading awareness.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 6:15 pm
Refuah shleima. My father had it and suffered terribly for years. We are so lucky now to be living in a time with plenty of treatment options and early detection.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 6:18 pm
I wore two braces during my school years. Made me super popular. My mother also had it. Obsessively check my children often.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 6:28 pm
I wore the Boston brace age 11.5-13.5 for almost 2 years which felt like forever to me but most people need to wear it longer and some even have to do surgery after.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 7:43 pm
Hi
Any natural ideas what to do to avoid surgery?(other than chiro?)

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 7:46 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Hi
Any natural ideas what to do to avoid surgery?(other than chiro?)

My dc did swimming and it helped a lot.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 8:07 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
My dc did swimming and it helped a lot.

Swimming is supposed to help a lot. I went to PT multiple times a week for at least 4-5 years. Between the intensive PT and the bracing, I very narrowly avoided surgery.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 9:01 pm
So you do feel that brace helps?
Interesting how I was told only to use brace while sitting in school as a student so I shouldn’t just lean onto it but rather build my muscles to hold my back straight....
Would you be able to share a link for excercize @ home?
I Used to go to pt as well...b with family Bh ...Not happening anymore

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 6:07 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
So you do feel that brace helps?
Interesting how I was told only to use brace while sitting in school as a student so I shouldn’t just lean onto it but rather build my muscles to hold my back straight....
Would you be able to share a link for excercize @ home?
I Used to go to pt as well...b with family Bh ...Not happening anymore

It’s possible my curve was much worse than yours. One of the braces I wore was the Milwaukee brace. The other brace didn’t help nearly as much as It. Look it up, it’s basically a medieval torture device. I had to wear it 23 hours a day. If I hadn’t worn it, I would have needed surgery or not be able to stand upright. I don’t do specific exercises right now- aqua aerobics, spinning, and stretching help me.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 6:20 am
I wore a brace through out high school, 23 hours a day! Was fun! Exercise helps to strengthen the muscles around the spine. Bh it worked and did not need surgery. I also check my kids obsessively! LOL

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 10:14 pm
As a former brace wearer and knowing lots of people with scoliosis I know a lot and most of your questions should be answered here Smile

A brace doesn’t help everyone. Whether a brace will help and what type of brace you wear depends on the degree of curvature, type of curvature (“s” curve vs “c” curve etc) and the location of the curvature (how high or low on the spine) and other factors such as what growth stage you are at.

If you are done growing a brace Is no longer effective as it just keeps it from getting worse and so if your curve is approximately less than 40 degrees they wouldn’t do anything but you might have back pain so exercise or therapy might help. Above 40 you are like a tower of blocks that means you will likely worsen by a degree or more every year so to avoid being totally bent over surgery (spinal fusion) is the only treatment.

If you are young and not done growing yet they would still advise surgery over 40 as a brace will not do enough to contain the curve while growing. Under 20 degrees they usually wait and see and between 20-40 they will usually give a brace.

Common brace types - back in the day they used metal and leather and whatnot that was custom made for each person. Highly effective but next to nothing compliance because as someone else pointed out a torture chamber. They toned it down a bit but still pretty bad and that became the Milwaukee. For people with curves high up near the neck that remains the only suitable brace as it has a neck attachment/support. Most common is the Boston brace (I had that) that is all under the shirt. Not entirely as effective as Milwaukee but close enough especially when they realized it was more effective because people actually wore it! These are semi custom and cheaper to make. The Charleston aka bending brace kind of works to bend you the other way and best of all is only worn at night! However it’s only suitable for Certain curves (“s” curves not eligible)

Alternative treatment - let’s face it. No exercise or chiropractor is going to bend a large bone (your spine) 40 degrees. If your curve is really bad you need surgery. If your curve is bad enough to brace you don’t really want to risk skipping the brace because you are too close for comfort to the surgery zone if the exercise don’t work (their success rate isnt nearly as high as bracing especially when your curve is higher). That said, exercise does have a place both in conjunction with bracing and also for people with very mild scoliosis who are in the “wait and see” group. A specific type of exercise program for scoliosis called the “Schroth” method has proven to be beneficial but more significant improvement can be seen in younger patients with milder curves. There were stories of 9 year olds with very mild curves that were helped a lot with this and potentially avoided bracing or surgery later on. But when a doctor tells you that you need a brace or surgery, exercise alone is like cutting your lawn with a nail clipper lol.

Side point - it’s fascinating how the Schroth method came about. Think of a young girl I. The early 1900s who had a noticeable curve that she was able to see into the mirror and how she literally improved her look by creating her own exercises!

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 1:38 am
I wore a brace from 8 grade through 10th grade. It was anything but fun. First I wore it for 23 hours a day.
Then as time went on, I was allowed not to sleep with it. I was very short to begin with and didnt grow all that much from wearing it, but it helped the curve in my back, so that was good. I never reached 5 feet.
I have a cousin who also had scoliosis and he had it bad. He has an operation on his spine and needed to be in a full body cast for almost a month. This was well over 25 years ago.
Its important to get checked out as a child grows. I know my father and my grandmother had it as well. Nothing was done during my father's childhood either (you can see his uneven shoulders) and my grandmother had actual breathing problems because if the curve of her spine.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 6:52 am
Kyphosis doesn’t always show up at standard scoliosis checks. Bending into your curve isn’t going to make it stand out. I had a very significant kyphotic curve, and it wasn’t picked up for a while. This was so, even though I complained about back pain for a year or two before I was diagnosed. I remember going to the infirmary at camp complaining of terrible back pain, and the response was that kids don’t get back pain.

mra01385

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 7:21 am
I have a severe case of scoliosis where my curve was over 90 degrees before I got the Harrington rods at age 11. I had a back brace and 2 other surgeries as a young child before getting the rods, but apparently those didn’t help. I also did swimming exercises. Now my curve is about 70 degrees but my severe scoliosis caused severe lung disease and I’m on oxygen 24/7. But my case is very extreme.
I just heard of a chiropractor Dr. Lawrence Fishman who teaches specific yoga techniques for scoliosis which he says greatly helps to improve the scoliosis curve and avoid surgery.
He has free webinars all the time on scoliosis as well as other topics. Please pm me for webinar sign up links.
He also has videos on YouTube under dr Fishman.
His website is https://sciatica.org/

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 8:23 am
My dh had kyphosis and wore a brace as a teen. As it was embarrassing for him he didn't wear it long enough therefore he has hunched shoulders.
My dd 9 started slouching and my Dr said her shoulders aren't even height but wait as of now, should she be doing anything to prevent it from happening?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 8:47 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
My dh had kyphosis and wore a brace as a teen. As it was embarrassing for him he didn't wear it long enough therefore he has hunched shoulders.
My dd 9 started slouching and my Dr said her shoulders aren't even height but wait as of now, should she be doing anything to prevent it from happening?

I wore my braces long enough and I still hunch. And have a terrible posture. I don’t think there are any guarantees.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children