Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
12 yr old DD shave for camp?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 6:10 pm
This will be my 12 yr old dd's first year in sleep-away-camp (yes, they're opening). The camp is in the midwest, so probably a bigger mix of out-of-towners than NYers if that makes a difference. She has not shaved (legs, underarms) until now, but I'm wondering if I should teach her how and have her start shaving for camp? What do most girls do at this age? It would be terrible if she's the only girl her age who shows up to the pool with hairy legs!

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 6:16 pm
Teach her how to shave now before camp. Don’t make it sound like a big deal or a must, just let her know it’s an option.

When she gets to camp, she’ll see for herself whether or not she will feel comfortable not shaving.

Eta: Way back when I was a 12 year old in camp, everyone shaved and we had public shaving parties in the bathroom sinks lol. I would imagine today’s campers might shave even earlier.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 6:17 pm
Yes she should!! I was the only one in my bunk that mother didnt want to start and I am still horrified till today about it!!! 25 years later Crying Crying

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 6:20 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Yes she should!! I was the only one in my bunk that mother didnt want to start and I am still horrified till today about it!!! 25 years later Crying Crying

You're the only one in your bunk that didn't shave at age 12???? I find that hard to believe. Who shaves at 12????? I don't think most 12 year olds are that hairy that they need to shave.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 6:29 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
You're the only one in your bunk that didn't shave at age 12???? I find that hard to believe. Who shaves at 12????? I don't think most 12 year olds are that hairy that they need to shave.

It doesn't matter if they have to or not. As a previous poster said, it can be a social experience

I agree with teaching her how so she does t hurt herself and pack a razor or two. Shell decide if she wants to do it.when she's ready.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 6:35 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:

Similar experience. Everyone else was shaving and my mother was convinced I was too young! And with dark hair, and light skin, it was definitely noticeable. She finally caved and bought me a razor and cream as a gift, but I had already been sneaking her razor for a while. I don't think it has to be such a big deal--you can get her one and present it as an option. I think my mother saw it as some kind of rite of passage like getting my period and I really don't think it has to be that way. (Maybe I'll feel differently when my daughter's older 🙄)...

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 6:37 pm
Yes, 25 yrs ago I started shaving at 12 and I was one of the later ones to do so.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 6:38 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Similar experience. Everyone else was shaving and my mother was convinced I was too young! And with dark hair, and light skin, it was definitely noticeable. She finally caved and bought me a razor and cream as a gift, but I had already been sneaking her razor for a while. I don't think it has to be such a big deal--you can get her one and present it as an option. I think my mother saw it as some kind of rite of passage like getting my period and I really don't think it has to be that way. (Maybe I'll feel differently when my daughter's older 🙄)...

Oh wow!! 12 is so young!! My DD is so petite, I can't imagine girls her age shaving. But if you think most girls at camp will shave, she definitely shouldn't be the odd one out.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 6:38 pm
Off topic but there are sleepaway camps going ahead? 🤔

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 6:40 pm
I have a 12 year old DD. I don't know yet if she'll be able to go to camp this summer, but I recently asked her if she was interested in shaving her underarms and she decided she wanted to try it. I bought her a safety razor and shaving cream. She isn't interested in shaving her legs yet but now she's equipped if she chooses to do so.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 1:47 am
I started shaving in 7th grade and I was one of the last girls to start shaving. I don't think anyone shaved in 4th grade, maybe a few in 5th grade, and most started in 6th grade. It was my choice; I put it off for as long as I could until I stuck out too much for my comfort.

OOT public school.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:29 am
I was taught at 12/13 to shave before camp.
Many girls start having armpit hair at that age - and even if your daughter feels like she doesn't she should know what it is, how to do it, and have the supplies so she knows if she needs/wants.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 3:35 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
I have a 12 year old DD. I don't know yet if she'll be able to go to camp this summer, but I recently asked her if she was interested in shaving her underarms and she decided she wanted to try it. I bought her a safety razor and shaving cream. She isn't interested in shaving her legs yet but now she's equipped if she chooses to do so.

What's a safety razor? Which brand is accident proof?

sequoia

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 3:46 am
This is so interesting. I’ve never removed any body hair. Can hardly believe everyone does, even children.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 4:47 am
sequoia wrote:
This is so interesting. I’ve never removed any body hair. Can hardly believe everyone does, even children.

Are you blonde completely? Or just hairless? Why does this surprise you?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 7:23 am
Thanks for all the replies! Any recommendations for a safe razor to start with?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 7:28 am
following. DD is 13. isnt waxing a better option? (done occasionally versus shaving and slower hair growth) I just feel bad broaching because of the pain factor. also what would ypu suggest for a slight mustache?

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 7:41 am
Thank you for bringing this topic up because amidst all the craziness this is the last thing I would have thought about now!
DD is also 12. She has a little hair by her armpits but not really on her legs yet. She is fair skinned and has dark hair so I imagine her legs will need it soon. Under the arms will be very noticeable when she goes swimming this summer! I can’t believe we are ready to deal with this now..
how do you show someone how to use a razor under their arms??

sequoia

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 7:45 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Are you blonde completely? Or just hairless? Why does this surprise you?

Neither. It just never occurred to me that body hair is a problem (or, is considered a problem universally rather than individually).

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 7:53 am
sequoia wrote:
Neither. It just never occurred to me that body hair is a problem (or, is considered a problem universally rather than individually).

It is.
It is not considered socially acceptable for a woman to be seen with underarm or leg hair. When you swim in public it’s a bit repulsive to show a dark bush of underarm hair. Same for hairy legs..
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children