Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Something decent Did you just rent in lakewood?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 10:12 am
Looking for advice from other renters. Where a family of 7 oldest child is 9 we live in a nice size house rent is expensive.looking to come to lakewood for cheaper rent. To get more for our money. I'm told not to take a basement. Even though they seem very large! We would obviously miss our deck and storage that we have. Just wondering what is the considered low rent. I want to move now in the summer I not looking to put in money in an apartment. I'm told basement are 850-1000. But top rent vary greatly. We were looking at basements but people are telling us to take a townhouse A development so now are open to other suggestions. We are not picky with the neighborhood. Should we? Husband gets along with everyone We are coming from a mixed friendly neighborhood. Any ideas. Does cheap rent meant an old falling apart apartment. Ideas please

Sebastian

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 10:13 am
Um you can't live in a basement with a family of 7. An upstairs is around 2500. 5 beds 2.5 baths

Sebastian

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 10:14 am
Look into Westgate. Rent can be under 2k there for a townhouse

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 10:16 am
Rent really depends on location. in ridge/yeshiva area, a 4 bedroom basement can be $1400

It would help to know what type you are. Yeshivish chassidish heimish litvish/american...?

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 10:20 am
Sebastian wrote:

I live in the Westgate rentals. New construction, 2-floor apartment. Mixed neighborhood.
5 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, huge LR/DR.
I pay $1690/month. It goes up around $20-$30 every year though.

The waiting list for the brand new rentals is long because they rent them out even before they finish building them.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 10:24 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
I live in the Westgate rentals. New construction, 2-floor apartment. Mixed neighborhood.

The waiting list for the brand new rentals is long because they rent them out even before they finish building them.

As a New Yorker I'm drooling. 1600s is normal here for a tiny one bedroom.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 10:31 am
I am pretty sure that townhouses down the 9 are in the 1700's range.

thinking of presidential, chesterfield area...

EMEN

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 10:31 am
Lakewood Rental List:

http://masaumatan.com/MasaRentals.pdf

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 10:33 am
Sebastian wrote:

This. You can get a brand new rental 4-5 bedrooms 2 floors for $16-2000.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 10:35 am

We got in right away. No waiting list at all. Besides for the paint situation we are very happy.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 10:41 am
Please Not a basement with big kids. A decent 3 bedroom 2 bath is at least 1200. And utilities are a lot.

Look into westgate or town houses at the edge of town.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 10:41 am
Oh my Brooklyner here having chalishas hadaas. Paying 2K for a teeeny tiny apartment that you can hardly move around in... think galley kitchen (ie no room for eat in), combined living room and DR that is tiny - couch up against table pretty much... oh my what are we staying here for?!?

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 10:49 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Oh my Brooklyner here having chalishas hadaas. Paying 2K for a teeeny tiny apartment that you can hardly move around in... think galley kitchen (ie no room for eat in), combined living room and DR that is tiny - couch up against table pretty much... oh my what are we staying here for?!?

And let’s not forget what crazy governor you have... just saying.

Sewsew_mom

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 11:02 am

Schools are a blast here.. Keep that in mind.

Please don't take a basement apartment. I had only 3 children when I took a basement until my house was ready and it was torture. Every time the air conditioner or heater went on I got so frustrated that in itself was so loud.. And the fact a family of 6 lived upstairs the amount of banging and noise. By the time 6 months were over I would have moved into my car if my house wasn't ready.
Good luck with the move!

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 11:13 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
We got in right away. No waiting list at all. Besides for the paint situation we are very happy.

Oh good. I'm happy that's resolved. Five years ago it was a nightmare. We signed the lease 9 months before it was completed.

They give flat paint but you could paint over it. I paid a cheap guy and did every room a different color. Westgate will repaint flat every 3 years so some people don't repaint. In New York the tenant gets nothing so I'm happy they gave me anything at all.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 11:25 am
Just make sure you factor in all other expenses before making the big move (besides that getting kids into school is quite hard). Don't just go for the cheap rent.
You may get more for your money but we found that tuition was almost double, groceries are generally more expensive (according to where we were used to shopping), second car is usually needed, utilities cost us more (bigger house, less insulation than an attached brownstone) etc...
We still don't regret it for a minute! It was worth it. Just keep it in your equations.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:30 pm
Oh good. I'm happy that's resolved. Five years ago it was a nightmare. We signed the lease 9 months before it was completed.

They give flat paint but you could paint over it. I paid a cheap guy and did every room a different color. Westgate will repaint flat every 3 years so some people don't repaint. In New York the tenant gets nothing so I'm happy they gave me anything at all.

I’m here for a few months and the paint is almost all off 😂

What do you call cheap and who was the painter? Can you give me his number? Thanks! I’m not being here long so I don’t want to invest.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:31 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Just make sure you factor in all other expenses before making the big move (besides that getting kids into school is quite hard). Don't just go for the cheap rent.
You may get more for your money but we found that tuition was almost double, groceries are generally more expensive (according to where we were used to shopping), second car is usually needed, utilities cost us more (bigger house, less insulation than an attached brownstone) etc...
We still don't regret it for a minute! It was worth it. Just keep it in your equations.

Tuition and food is much cheaper then NY! Maybe if your chasidish tuition is cheaper but in general...

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:50 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Tuition and food is much cheaper then NY! Maybe if your chasidish tuition is cheaper but in general...

Tuiotion and food is actually more expensive than NY!

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 3:23 pm

im glad you realized this. as this is something everyone is talking about the last 5-10 yrs.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries