Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Free Kindle Books for Kids
1  2  Next

groisamomma

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:05 pm
This isn't exactly chinuch but I guess it falls under education so I put it here.

I'm looking for free books I can get on Kindle for 12-year-old DD. She's already read or put on hold whatever she likes at the Lakewood and Brooklyn public libraries. There's not much available in Kindle format and the wait times are ridiculously long so she gets one book every couple of weeks or so. She's not into Harry Potter type of books.

She's already read whatever's available on Kindle Unlimited. There's not much there. She likes books like Gordon Korman, older comics like Garfield, etc. and Kindle Unlimited offers 1 or 2 in a series and then charges for the rest. She wants to buy them but at $5.99 a pop I'm not so inclined.

Where can I download free books for her? Project Gutenberg and similar places aren't geared toward kids her age at all.

Any practical help is appreciated!

ETA I bought her over 170 books on Craigslist and eBay so hard copies are getting kind of costly. She finished them in a couple of weeks.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:12 pm
Yesterday kindle was offering the whole set of Anne of Green Gables books for free. You can check to see if it is still available today.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:18 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Yesterday kindle was offering the whole set of Anne of Green Gables books for free. You can check to see if it is still available today.

We have the hard copies. Thanks for posting though. Keep it coming!

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:32 pm
Try going into the kindle bookstore and typing in "free teen books" or similar. I just did, and a bunch came up. Obviously, I can't vouch for the suitability of all, so you'd want to look them over, but there were many, including some whole sets.
I did see The Secret Garden, which I assume would be deemed appropriate by even the strictest standards.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:37 pm
Just searched for free classic books and there is a lot. Some Agatha Christies, Little Women, the Oz books, Peter Pan, etc (besides the usual Dickens, Twain, Austen, Bronte, etc. which I doubt a 12 year old would be interested in)

sidewalkchalk

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:43 pm
I regularly check the 'top 100 free' in the children's section: https://www.amazon.com/Best-Se.....om-20

Hit or miss in terms of quality and appropriateness but worth a look.

srbmom

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 3:13 pm
Are there no other libraries around that you can get an ecard from? My county offers an e-library card even though they have no physical locations. That card gives me access to thousands more books on OverDrive than my city library has available.
(Not in the tri-state area, sorry)

groisamomma

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 3:29 pm
srbmom wrote:
Are there no other libraries around that you can get an ecard from? My county offers an e-library card even though they have no physical locations. That card gives me access to thousands more books on OverDrive than my city library has available.
(Not in the tri-state area, sorry)

I wish! Does anyone have more info on this? We pay $50 annually for out-of-town library cards. I'd love to get more.

Does anyone know anything about this?

groisamomma

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 3:29 pm
sidewalkchalk wrote:
I regularly check the 'top 100 free' in the children's section: https://www.amazon.com/Best-Se.....om-20

Hit or miss in terms of quality and appropriateness but worth a look.

Going to check right now. Thanks!

groisamomma

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 3:30 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Just searched for free classic books and there is a lot. Some Agatha Christies, Little Women, the Oz books, Peter Pan, etc (besides the usual Dickens, Twain, Austen, Bronte, etc. which I doubt a 12 year old would be interested in)

We got the classics. The truth is we have most of them at home already but there were a couple I found.

Thanks everyone for the help. One small step to saving my sanity (and my money!).

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 3:35 pm
Someone once posted here a great free website-fadedpage.com. It's got a lot of kids books-mostly older stuff-bobbsey twins, enid blyton and a lot of other books I remember reading as a kid.
Also are you searching project gutenberg for authors? I got everything written by LM Montgomery, not just her green gables series, and a lot of other classics for kids.
What sort of books are you looking for? At her age I was reading a lot of mysteries/thrillers- Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie, Alistair Maclean and other technically adult books but are clean

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 4:29 pm
My kids are supposed to read over the summer; my teens 2 novels each. Where am I supposed to find them? Library is closed (and even once open I'm not going right away because who knows where the books were. )
Buying books is so expensive & with immune compromised ppl I can't buy used.
We have no kindle, only laptop or an ipad.
Do any of these kindle type e-books work on a laptop or ipad?

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 4:43 pm
Faded page is one of my favourite websites. I check the new uploads every few days and normally find something new to download e very week or two.

Look at their juvenile section. She probably around the upper age limit to enjoy Enid Blyton, but there's a lot of books there so you're sure to find something she'll like. If she likes adventures she can try Arthur Ransome, and there are some good Australian books by Mary Grant Bruce. If she likes Anne of Green Gables she might like those.

Look under 'girls' and 'school stories' as well. There are lots there.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 4:51 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
My kids are supposed to read over the summer; my teens 2 novels each. Where am I supposed to find them? Library is closed (and even once open I'm not going right away because who knows where the books were. )

You can download books from Project Gutenberg and from Faded Pages in PDF format, so that should work on any computer. You can even print them out if you like. I love my kindle, but find reading on the computer very difficult. A printout might be a lot easier to read (and you can use it on Shabbos!)

There is a free kindle app that you can download onto phones, and I'm sure there is a version available for other devices. Try googling kindle app, and you'll get all the relevent information.

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 5:07 pm
Have her read the classics...
Enid blyton should be available for free...
Charles Dickens
Mark Twain
Thackerey
rudyard kipling
Little house in the prairie
nancy drew
Johanna Spyri
Astrid Lindgren
Josef Joffo: a bag of marbles, Anna and her orchestra
Hector Malot: Nobody's boy
Judith Kerr: When Hitler stole pink rabbit
Janina David: A square of sky
Martha Sandwall-Bergström: Gulla (Kulla?)
Michael Ende: the neverending story, Momo
Christine Arnothy: I am fifteen and I do not want to die
Alexandre Dumas

Last edited by Ora in town on Tue, Jun 02 2020, 5:37 pm; edited 3 times in total

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 5:25 pm
Ora in town wrote:
Have her read the classics...
Enid blyton should be available for free...
Charles Dickens
Mark Twain
Thackerey
rudyard kipling
Little house in the prairie
nancy drew
Johanna Spyri
Astrid Lindgren

Some Enid Blytons are on Faded Page.

Some of the Little House books are there as well.

Kipling is a good idea.

Dickens, Thackeray and Twain might be a bit much for a twelve year old. There is no point ruining a great book by reading it before you can understand it. I always regret reading Jane Eyre when I was twelve. I was bored and didn't understand it, and I've never been able to go back to it since then.

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 5:28 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Some Enid Blytons are on Faded Page.

Some of the Little House books are there as well.

Kipling is a good idea.

Dickens, Thackeray and Twain might be a bit much for a twelve year old. There is no point ruining a great book by reading it before you can understand it. I always regret reading Jane Eyre when I was twelve. I was bored and didn't understand it, and I've never been able to go back to it since then.

Tom Sawyer - not for a twelve year old? You mean she could be too old?

groisamomma

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 5:56 pm
I'm not so much looking for book suggestions as where to find downloadable books but thank you.

Any other websites or suggestions would be great. I just signed up for a free trial for one issue of Highlights magazine. That should take her about an hour:)

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 9:16 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:

iPad can read .ebooks on the iBooks App which is part of the iOS. You can also download Kindle for the iPAD or iPhone.

Kindle is available as an App to read on a computer as well.

Amazon uses a proprietary software but other .mobi and .azw3 can be read on Kindle and .epub can be read on iBooks

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 9:25 pm
groisamomma wrote:
I wish! Does anyone have more info on this? We pay $50 annually for out-of-town library cards. I'd love to get more.

Does anyone know anything about this?

I live in Cincinnati. Our public library offers this too. It's like a regular library, but online. Meaning, if there are two digital copies of a certain book, then only two users can check them out at one time, and the rest have to get on a wait list. It has virtually everything. Call the OOT library you have cards to and ask them if they participate in Overdrive, which is also known as Libby.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics