Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Free Kindle Books for Kids
Previous  1  2

groisamomma

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 8:51 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I live in Cincinnati. Our public library offers this too. It's like a regular library, but online. Meaning, if there are two digital copies of a certain book, then only two users can check them out at one time, and the rest have to get on a wait list. It has virtually everything. Call the OOT library you have cards to and ask them if they participate in Overdrive, which is also known as Libby.

They do have Overdrive and they're virtual. That's why we signed up at $50 each. I'm looking for more libraries that allow that. I'll try Cincinnati tomorrow.

Thanks!

srbmom

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 8:59 pm
I found this list, not sure how up to date it is --

https://www.aworldadventurebyb.....leges

IF YOU'RE IN THE US: LIBRARY CARDS FOR A FEE
The following libraries appear to offer non-resident library cards for a fee to anyone in the US without the need to pick up the card at the library:

Florida, Orange County Library System
$75/3 months, $100/6 months or $125/year. Note: To stop spammers, they ask a question on the form about what county OCLS is in. The answer is "Orange" since OCLS stands for Orange County Library System.

New York
Note: None of the following are part of the famous New York Public Library.

Brooklyn Public Library: $50/year
Monroe County Library System: $25/year
Queens Public Library: $50/year

North Carolina
Charlotte Mecklenburg Library: $45/household/year or $35/year for adults 62 & older
Chapel Hill Public Library: $65/year

Texas, Houston Public Library
$20/6 months or $40/year

Virginia, Fairfax County Public Library
$27/year

IF YOU'RE OUTSIDE THE US
I'm thrilled I was able to find 2 library systems that allow people from outside the US the chance to borrow books.

Florida, Orange County Library System
$75/3 months, $100/6 months or $125/year Note: When applying, select the check box next to "Out of Country" to enter in your address. They may ask a question on the form about what county OCLS is in to stop spammers. The answer is "Orange" since OCLS stands for Orange County Library System.

New York, Queens Public Library
$50/year Note: This is not a part of the famous New York Public Library.

srbmom

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 9:13 pm
Also, I haven't lived in NY for many years so maybe I'm remembering wrong, but isn't there a way to access the New York Public Library system if you already have a Brooklyn or Queens card
(Sorry if I'm misunderstanding and you've already done that)

mra01385

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 9:08 am
FYI both the queens and Brooklyn public library have ebooks available on their websites and can download them to one drive or whatever software they use. I got an e-card from Brooklyn public library for free as a NYS resident. Also, check out library websites to see how to access free ebooks.
Also, a-z reading has leveled e books for early readers. You can sign up for a free trial account . I did it and it’s great!
https://www.readinga-z.com/samples/
https://www.nypl.org/books-mus.....ntral

mango

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 9:41 am
I know this is an old post but we just got a Kindle that my kids are loving, my almost ten yr old had already read like 6 books since we got it yesterday!
I am using Libby and have found a lot for her but was wondering about fadedpages. Can you download the books to the Kindle from there? If yes how? I had a quick look on my phone but can't work out how to do it. I see they have books that I feel up on like Enid Blyton that I'm sure she will love but I can't find them on Libby...

Siriusly?

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 9:52 am
On fadedpage, download the .mobi file if available, or the .epub file. If it’s a mobi, you can email it directly to the kindle’s send-to-kindle email address. If it’s an epub, you first have to convert it to mobi using an online software like sendepubtokindle.com

Elfrida

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 9:55 am
mango wrote:
I know this is an old post but we just got a Kindle that my kids are loving, my almost ten yr old had already read like 6 books since we got it yesterday!
I am using Libby and have found a lot for her but was wondering about fadedpages. Can you download the books to the Kindle from there? If yes how? I had a quick look on my phone but can't work out how to do it. I see they have books that I feel up on like Enid Blyton that I'm sure she will love but I can't find them on Libby...

Yes, you can. Most if the books on my kindle are from Faded Pages. I just launch the experimental browser on the kindle and navigate to Faded Pages, then download the book of my choice in mobi (kindle) format. It's a bit slow, but it works.

You could also download them to your computer, and then attach your kindle to the computer and transfer them via the USB cable.

Plenty of Enid Blyton. Mary Grant Bruce is less well known, but books rather more worth reading. I'll try to remember which other children's authors they have.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 9:59 am
mango wrote:

I do a lot of putting books on the kindle. I use a programme called calibre which you can download for free onto your pc. You add the books to calibre, plug in the kindle to connect it to calibre and click upload to device. It will convert the books as needed.
Btw for reference, kindles generally don't work so well with pdf. Try and download another format wherever possible.

mango

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 12:42 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Yes, you can. Most if the books on my kindle are from Faded Pages. I just launch the experimental browser on the kindle and navigate to Faded Pages, then download the book of my choice in mobi (kindle) format. It's a bit slow, but it works.

You could also download them to your computer, and then attach your kindle to the computer and transfer them via the USB cable.

Plenty of Enid Blyton. Mary Grant Bruce is less well known, but books rather more worth reading. I'll try to remember which other children's authors they have.

Thanks for that info! Yes any book recommendation for a 10 year old are welcome, she is a big reader (takes after me but I can't remember all that I read at her age plus I grew up in the UK and live in the US now and I have noticed they don't have lots of the books I read like Enid Blyton here).

mango

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 12:44 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I do a lot of putting books on the kindle. I use a programme called calibre which you can download for free onto your pc. You add the books to calibre, plug in the kindle to connect it to calibre and click upload to device. It will convert the books as needed.
Btw for reference, kindles generally don't work so well with pdf. Try and download another format wherever possible.

Thanks for that info! Downloading from faded pages sounds a bit more complicated then Libby. Will stick with Libby for now until we can't find anything else for her to read on that!

baby12x

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 2:29 pm
I researched this and wrote a whole list!
There are sites that go through Amazon and list which ones are free.

30 ways to get free online books for kids
https://adimesaved.com/free-on.....-kids
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics