Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Am I still contagious
1  2  Next

momofcuties1

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 1:56 pm
I was tested positive last Monday, when am I not contagious? Does it pay to get another test done

jkl

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 1:59 pm
momofcuties1 wrote:
I was tested positive last Monday, when am I not contagious? Does it pay to get another test done

Symptomatic or asymptomatic?

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:00 pm
You can be sure only once you tested negative.
Why does health insurance not refund the test?

BatyaEsther

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:00 pm
When did you first have symptoms?
People have been saying that it is done, that nobody is getting sick anymore, yet you caught it fairly recently.
Feel good and Refuah Shelemah.

momofcuties1

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:02 pm
BatyaEsther wrote:
People have been saying that it is done, that nobody is getting sick anymore, yet you caught it fairly recently.

Thanks, yes I started having symptoms two weeks ago was shocked that I got it because I too thought it was done guess it's not!

momofcuties1

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:02 pm
jkl wrote:

I was symptomatic but right now I feel ok except for my loss of smell

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:03 pm
BatyaEsther wrote:

People are still testing positive and they caught the virus 2 months ago. You can test positive for 6-8 weeks, if not more. I was sick right after Purim and my smell isn't full back yet.
I think if you're 3 days symptom free (fever & cough), you're not contagious.

Last edited by Blessing1 on Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

mom4eva

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:04 pm
Refua shleima.

jkl

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:06 pm
jkl wrote:

According to the NYS Dept of Health:

Anyone who tests positive:

Symptomatic: 10 days of isolation from the onset of symptoms, with the last 3 days being symptom free.
Asymptomatic: 10 days of isolation after the first positive test

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:17 pm
In Israel, on the other hand, you have to have two negative tests in a row to be considered recovered and no longer contagious. The first of these is done a minimum of twelve days after initial diagnosis, with at least two days symptom free. If it is negative the next one can be done three days later. That makes a minimum of fifteen days (and often longer, since the results can sometimes take a couple of days to come through). Some people get a cycle of alternating positive and negative tests. It can sometimes take over a month for people to get two consecutive negative tests.

Lack of taste and smell is considered a late and relatively mild symptom. (Its annoying but not dangerous.) By itself it isn't enough to prevent further testing.

Of course, if you don't live in Israel, you don't need to follow Israeli regulations. But this demonstrates that being symptom free does not equate to not being contagious.

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 4:56 pm
BatyaEsther wrote:

This is probably hijacking and I know I'm going to regret it but I can't understand why anyone thinks it's "done." This is actually the second time I heard it today. Do people not read the news and statistics? Nobody is done. Some places are still going up, some went down but even NYC that had a ton of cases and now the numbers are way down, there are still hundreds of new cases DAILY and the reason it's down is because people have been isolating, not because we're anywhere near herd immunity. Reach whatever conclusions you will, but "done" is a distant dream.

BatyaEsther

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 5:00 pm
seeker wrote:
This is probably hijacking and I know I'm going to regret it but I can't understand why anyone thinks it's "done." This is actually the second time I heard it today. Do people not read the news and statistics? Nobody is done. Some places are still going up, some went down but even NYC that had a ton of cases and now the numbers are way down, there are still hundreds of new cases DAILY and the reason it's down is because people have been isolating, not because we're anywhere near herd immunity. Reach whatever conclusions you will, but "done" is a distant dream.

I am the last person to think we are done. I am so tired of fighting with people here. I was demonstrated that we are not done, even though people seem to think so and seem to be done taking precautions.

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 7:01 pm
BatyaEsther wrote:
I am the last person to think we are done. I am so tired of fighting with people here. I was demonstrated that we are not done, even though people seem to think so and seem to be done taking precautions.
it was nothing personal, just expressing bafflement that this is actually a thing.

LakewoodMother

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 7:09 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
People are still testing positive and they caught the virus 2 months ago. You can test positive for 6-8 weeks, if not more. I was sick right after Purim and my smell isn't full back yet.
I think if you're 3 days symptom free (fever & cough), you're not contagious.

Some people are still positive from before. Also, some people are catching the virus now. 3 days symptom free was an assumption early on that has since been discarded, people can be contagious for 14 days.

Please don’t spread DANGEROUS and LIFE THREATENING misinformation if you aren’t positive about something.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 7:27 pm
LakewoodMother wrote:
Some people are still positive from before. Also, some people are catching the virus now. 3 days symptom free was an assumption early on that has since been discarded, people can be contagious for 14 days.

Please don’t spread DANGEROUS and LIFE THREATENING misinformation if you aren’t positive about something.

I'm not spread any dangerous life threatening information. Note that I wrote "I think" 3 days symptom free, this means that I'm not sure about it.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 7:52 pm
Elfrida wrote:
...Of course, if you don't live in Israel, you don't need to follow Israeli regulations. But this demonstrates that being symptom free does not equate to not being contagious.

No, tests have shown that testing positive proves that there is viral matter extant, NOT that it is alive or with the potential to infect another person.

IOW, dead viral particles will also give you a positive test. So you can test positive and NOT be contagious.

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 8:26 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
No, tests have shown that testing positive proves that there is viral matter extant, NOT that it is alive or with the potential to infect another person.

IOW, dead viral particles will also give you a positive test. So you can test positive and NOT be contagious.

Don't know about contagious or not but viruses don't have life so they can't be dead.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 9:37 pm
seeker wrote:
Don't know about contagious or not but viruses don't have life so they can't be dead.

https://www.healthline.com/hea.....tious

amother
Stonewash

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 9:15 pm
seeker wrote:

This isn’t true. Viruses definitely do have life, propagation, and death cycles, much like humans.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 9:49 pm
amother [ Stonewash ] wrote:
This isn’t true. Viruses definitely do have life, propagation, and death cycles, much like humans.

Threads do too. They have a life (some of them even a lively life), some propagate with spinoffs, and then they eventually die. Even popular threads.

And after a year, threads are generally dead.

(Sorry, I'm sure you just didn't notice. But I couldn't resist.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics