Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Tablecloth Storage

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 6:11 pm
Any tips on how to store tablecloths? Both how to keep track of the size without needing to unfold it and how to store them. I don't have room to hang them in a closet and when they are stacked on a shelf, I end up pulling them all out to find the one I need.
Please share!

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 10:43 am
1. "file" in a box or basket. Use a clothespin to clip a tag bearing the size to the "spine." Replace the tag when you put the cloth away.

2. If you don't have enough to file in a box without falling over, stack, spine out, on a shelf. use the clothespin as above.

3. Keep cloths in the plastic sleeve they came in and always re-fold to fit. If the bag doesn't show the size, either tape a tag with the size to the outside of the bag, or slip a tag inside the bag. If you want to stack the bags on a shelf, write the size along the edge of the sleeve and stack with the labeled side out.

4. Buy a multiple-unit skirt hanger and hang all the cloths in size order, largest on top.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 11:39 am
Yup, with so many tablecloths, I'd also suggest a Marie Kondo filing system like zaq mentioned. Tablecloths folded to stand up like filing folders, and stacked as files side by side in a bin. Each bin should be labeled by size. When you pull out one tablecloth, the others will stay neatly folded.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 1:37 pm
Thank you so much for the ideas!

geemum

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 2:34 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Yup, with so many tablecloths, I'd also suggest a Marie Kondo filing system like zaq mentioned. Tablecloths folded to stand up like filing folders, and stacked as files side by side in a bin. Each bin should be labeled by size. When you pull out one tablecloth, the others will stay neatly folded.

I cant imagine this! I'd love to see a photo

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 2:50 pm
geemum wrote:
I cant imagine this! I'd love to see a photo

Here's a miniature version with cloth napkins.
https://youtu.be/9VdxZSe2pSQ

I do this with my many scarves.

challahchallah

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 2:59 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Here's a miniature version with cloth napkins.
https://youtu.be/9VdxZSe2pSQ

I do this with my many scarves.

What if you have too few to fill the bin or too many to fit in the bin? Do you have to hunt down the right size bin for your collection? What if you add a few? Does a given bin work well for a broader range of number of items than I’m imagining and this is not a real problem?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 3:07 pm
challahchallah wrote:
What if you have too few to fill the bin or too many to fit in the bin? Do you have to hunt down the right size bin for your collection? What if you add a few? Does a given bin work well for a broader range of number of items than I’m imagining and this is not a real problem?

The point is to learn how to fold them so they stand independently on their own. The bin can be half empty and they should still stand tall and stay neat.
You fold in thirds. Notice that before the last thirds, you fold in half but not all the way to the end. This helps the clothes stand on their own.

https://youtu.be/Lpc5_1896ro

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 5:54 am
Kondo's system works best for fabrics with body. It's not great for thin, slippery, easily wrinkled fabrics. Cotton T-shirts, yes; wool mufflers, of course; delicate silk scarves, not so much. Some fabrics have to be folded so many times to be able to stand on their own that it's just not worth it.

As for bins--don't buy any. Collect boxes of all kinds from baby shoeboxes to cereal cartons. Cut them down to the height you need. Paint or cover with Contact or wrapping paper if you want a cohesive look. If you have too much empty space in a box, and your contents refuse to stand up for themselves, either cut up the box and re-form it to the size you need if you're not expecting to add anything to it, or stick some crumpled tissue paper or clean rags inside to act as a placeholder until you fill the box.

If you have too many items to fit your bin, you have three options :
1. get rid of the excess. This is what my friend calls the 'real estate method' of home organization: decide how much space you will allot to a particular type of possession, and stick to it. Get rid of the rest, and if you acquire a new one, you must get rid of an old one to make room for it.
2. add another bin;
3. get a bigger bin. If you're using boxes and containers you collect from here and there, there will be no monetary outlay unless you buy material to cover or decorate the bin.

geemum

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 1:57 am
Thank you zaq and ra_mom.

I'm always keen to learn new ways of keeping the house organised. (Why I bother with the kids still living at home, I sometimes wonder!) And to hear tips from other moms somehow sits better than from a youtube sensation or staged video etc.

Plus I like the little tips you added.

Thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics