Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Israel: Concern of new wave though educational system
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 4:55 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
HUGS imas!

We need to hold strong we need to hold together! We need to support each and be positive1

We need Moshiach!!!

Exactly.

And at least a vaccine...

yonabets

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 5:28 pm
Amen!!!

Success10

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:33 am
Are they going to keep only shuttering schools with confirmed cases? Or at some point, are they just going to shut the whole operation down?

etky

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:48 am
Success10 wrote:
Are they going to keep only shuttering schools with confirmed cases? Or at some point, are they just going to shut the whole operation down?

I don't understand it.
More and more schools are being shut down b/c of confirmed cases or, in some cases, the va'adey horim are shutting down the schools as a preemptive measure.
Last night the Health Ministry's director (Barsi) recommended that all chativot and HS be shut down.
Edlestein however decided to recommend that just the Jerusalem area schools be shut down.
Netanyahu rejected both positions and decided against a school closure.
Have they decided to aim for herd immunity- using the younger segments of society as a bulwark, and they're just not telling us?
Because they are just abetting the spread of the virus by keeping schools open.
I don't have kids in the system anymore but I would not be sending any HS aged kids to school these days. That is for sure.

Success10

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:52 am
etky wrote:

Have they decided to aim for herd immunity- using the younger segments of society as a bulwark, and they're just not telling us?

Yes Yes Yes

banana123

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:54 am
etky wrote:
I don't understand it.
More and more schools are being shut down b/c of confirmed cases or, in some cases, the va'adey horim are shutting down the schools as a preemptive measure.
Last night the Health Ministry's director (Barsi) recommended that all chativot and HS be shut down.
Edlestein however decided to recommend that just the Jerusalem area schools be shut down.
Netanyahu rejected both positions and decided against a school closure.
I don't have kids in the system anymore but I would not be sending any HS aged kids to school these days. That is for sure.

I think at this point they are trying to quell the outbreak by just shuttering schools with cases. But if this continues they will shutter all schools, or all high schools and middle schools. (This makes me angry because grades 11-12 need to be in school most right now, to finish bagruyot. Everyone else can afford to miss and make it up later.)

Thing is, the moment you close schools parents go up in arms that their childcare is being taken away again, and it makes waves because some parents (whichever parent earns less in the family) will need to stop working to watch the younger children. And no one wants that, so they're trying everything else first.

We'll see what happens. If this doesn't end soon I don't think there will be summer school.

etky

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 4:12 am
banana123 wrote:
I think at this point they are trying to quell the outbreak by just shuttering schools with cases. But if this continues they will shutter all schools, or all high schools and middle schools. (This makes me angry because grades 11-12 need to be in school most right now, to finish bagruyot. Everyone else can afford to miss and make it up later.)

Thing is, the moment you close schools parents go up in arms that their childcare is being taken away again, and it makes waves because some parents (whichever parent earns less in the family) will need to stop working to watch the younger children. And no one wants that, so they're trying everything else first.

We'll see what happens. If this doesn't end soon I don't think there will be summer school.

But we're talking about older kids here, who can also continue studying for bagruyot through distance learning which can be alot more effective, davka b/c the distraction of social interaction does not exist.
I was sort of joking about the herd immunity but I do think that there are extraneous considerations (economic, political?) at play here that have nothing to do with the immediate welfare of the kids and their families.

banana123

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 4:17 am
etky wrote:
But we're talking about older kids here, who can also continue studying for bagruyot through distance learning which can be alot more effective, davka b/c the distraction of social interaction does not exist.
I was sort of joking about the herd immunity but I do think that there are extraneous considerations (economic, political?) at play here that have nothing to do with the immediate welfare of the kids and their families.

But the claim is the same, that the kids will be in the street partying if they're not in school. Bagruyot aren't easy and so much more is available in a classroom than online, plus some kids really aren't managing to learn online at all.

Plus it could be that all schools will close, not just middle and high schools.

I agree that there are issues at play that have nothing to do with the welfare of kids and their families.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 4:46 am
banana123 wrote:
But the claim is the same, that the kids will be in the street partying if they're not in school. Bagruyot aren't easy and so much more is available in a classroom than online, plus some kids really aren't managing to learn online at all.

They are partying anyways. Most teenage girls I have met don't really care. They hug their friends, are having sleepovers, going out after school to the malls, and are touching and not wearing masks in school.

I think there would be less of this if there wasn't school. You wouldn't have the whole class meeting, it would be groups of girls with their own friend group.

Since when do 16 year olds have a sense of danger? Their brains aren't fully developed to understand danger and they do rash, irresponsible things. This isn't new.

Now, what we can control are adults more. I was appalled that in Tel Aviv there was a 5000 person concert WITH the mayor giving a full speech with no mask to the crowd BACKING the concert and reopening of the city.

banana123

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:01 am
LovesHashem wrote:
They are partying anyways. Most teenage girls I have met don't really care. They hug their friends, are having sleepovers, going out after school to the malls, and are touching and not wearing masks in school.

I think there would be less of this if there wasn't school. You wouldn't have the whole class meeting, it would be groups of girls with their own friend group.

Since when do 16 year olds have a sense of danger? Their brains aren't fully developed to understand danger and they do rash, irresponsible things. This isn't new.

Now, what we can control are adults more. I was appalled that in Tel Aviv there was a 5000 person concert WITH the mayor giving a full speech with no mask to the crowd BACKING the concert and reopening of the city.

No, but the idea is that school is a safe place to party, but the streets? Who knows where they're going and what they're doing and who they're hanging with.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:19 am
banana123 wrote:
No, but the idea is that school is a safe place to party, but the streets? Who knows where they're going and what they're doing and who they're hanging with.

They're on the streets ANYWAYS. They go after school.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:26 am
1. They COULD cancel bagrut if they wanted to or push it off. Its possible if they really wanted to.
2. I think they are doing whatever they can to avoid an economic shutdown again. Closing schools will lead to an economic shutdown.
3. I think they will end up closing schools soon

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:27 am
my high school daughter was supposed to take a test today but she was sent home.
The school told them they got instructions that they are not allowed to be opened anymore.
they have to take the test at home.
no cases at her school...

banana123

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:31 am
LovesHashem wrote:
They're on the streets ANYWAYS. They go after school.

Look, I agree with you, I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
1. They COULD cancel bagrut if they wanted to or push it off. Its possible if they really wanted to.
2. I think they are doing whatever they can to avoid an economic shutdown again. Closing schools will lead to an economic shutdown.

1. Yes they could, but for too many students it means having to relearn all the material, because they were doing intense preparation for the test and testing when it is fresh in your mind after such hard work preparing means you'll usually do better than testing at an unknown later date when you're already doing sheirut leumi or next year's bagruyot and have to review everything and rework things that you figured out but then forgot.

The loss is much greater for those who need to do bagruyot than it is for anyone else. Grades 11-12 need to be the last to close, and only if there is no other option.

2-3. In other words you agree with me, no?

Success10

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:36 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:

Agreed on all 3 points.

salt

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:39 am
I know it doesn't really help saying this, but it's so silly that this whole outbreak happened in the high schools, where it's more important that they finish the school year, as they're about to do their bagruyot, because big kids should really know better to keep on their masks and keep distance.

If it would have happened in elementary schools I could understand that kids don't wash their hands or remember to keep distance, but responsible teenagers? They should know better!

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:40 am
salt wrote:
I know it doesn't really help saying this, but it's so silly that this whole outbreak happened in the high schools, where it's more important that they finish the school year, as they're about to do their bagruyot, because big kids should really know better to keep on their masks and keep distance.

If it would have happened in elementary schools I could understand that kids don't wash their hands or remember to keep distance, but responsible teenagers? They should know better!

Since when have teenagers been responsible?

Success10

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:43 am
salt wrote:

Honestly, it's probably flying around the elementary schools as well, but the younger kids are generally asymptomatic, so no one knows it.

Aylat

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:50 am
etky wrote:

I teach בגרויות and the distance learning is not more effective. It would be a disaster to re-close high schools at this stage, which is the last lap before the external exams.

Our school is currently building a combined distance-learning and in-school timetable, whereby only the pupils sitting בגרויות קיץ will be in school.

Aylat

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:51 am
salt wrote:

Oh my gosh, I know! They drive me mad. Constantly reminding them to put their masks on. They sit close to each other, touch each other. I think it's the teenage feeling of invulnerability plus the discomfort of the restrictions.
Page 7 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics