Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Kids and making beds

Who makes your 7 yr old's bed
himself/herself  
 14%  [ 9 ]
me  
 14%  [ 9 ]
household help  
 1%  [ 1 ]
no one - it does not get made  
 64%  [ 41 ]
other  
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 64

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 12:06 am
My oldest kid is seven. Till now the days that the cleaning lady comes she makes his bed but other than that it is not made. Its probably a good time to have him get into the habit of making his bed. When do you start with your kids, do you care or not care if their beds are made?

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 12:10 am
I'm particular to have all my children make their own beds for chinuch and habit forming purposes and then cleaning help does it again neater later.

twizzlers1

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 1:36 am
Once in a while I'll make the beds. but for some reason it just doesn't really bother me. it's going to get messy at night anyway. The bedrooms are on a separate floor from the main floor so maybe I feel differently because people don't walk in and see it. I do like their rooms to be clean and their laundry put away though but it's okay if the bed isn't made.

silverlining3

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 1:56 am
It's probably half a year-year that my almost 6 and 7 year old girls make their bed and fold or rollup their pjs-depending on mood, sometimes with and sometimes without reminders. There's times they don't and I end up making it but I usually don't pressure since it's more yes than no. I have kiddie blankets for them, easier than regular quilts. I care cuz when rooms aren't spotless yet beds are made, okay atleast that. Better feeling lol

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:59 am
I couldn't manipulate the blankets properly at that age, and if I tried it was always a mess. My mother made the beds every day, but after I was about eleven I was expected to make my own during the school holidays. By the time I was a mid-teenager I was doing it most days. Often that consisted of pulling the quilt straight when I got up so that it looked ok, and then doing it properly after I got home from school.

My sister, on the other hand, felt that making beds was a waste of time since they got got messy again when you went to sleep. I think until she got married she never bothered making her bed. Don't know if she does today or not.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:09 am
It’s funny because in my house, my youngest is 7 and he is the only one who makes his bed most days. My other kids don’t make their beds unless I absolutely insist. My 7 year old boy is by nature a neat person who enjoys putting things away and having a clean room. So no, I don’t think 7 is too young. In fact I think it’s the perfect age to train a child how to keep his room looking neat.

banana123

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 4:36 am
Making beds is not a priority for us. We have other chores that they have to do. And no cleaning help.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 6:35 am
My 3 year old makes his bed. He's on a toddler bed, so it's easier. It's not the neatest, but he tries.

Ora in town

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 6:40 am
Seven is about the right age...
So I agree with you that this is a good time...

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 7:15 am
I train my kids to make their beds every morning from about 3 years old. Step by step- even if they can't yet do the comforter, they can rearrange the pillows and fold their pajamas. Around age 5 they learn to put two corners of the blanket at each end and eventually they learn to straighten it nicely.
To me a made bed makes the entire room look neater. If it's not perfect it's okay, but day after day of practice helps a lot. It's just one of the things we do in the morning, and it only takes a minute. If they forget or they're in a rush, I will do it for them so that they have a nice bed to get into at night. I feel it makes a difference.

Teomima

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 7:37 am
I couldn't care less about beds being made. My kids like to lay in bed and read (as do I) so it gets tousled during the daytime as well as being slept in at night. We all have better things to do with our time than make our beds.

MiriFr

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 7:42 am
Ds3 has been making his own bed since he's been sleeping in one

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 9:20 am
My kids make their beds from age 4-5. I straighten it out because I can't stand messy beds.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 10:23 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
My 3 year old makes his bed. He's on a toddler bed, so it's easier. It's not the neatest, but he tries.

That’s the cutest!

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 10:24 am
We don't make beds here. I know that when my bed gets made, when I get into it at night I promptly unmake it. I pull anything that is tucked in out, and crumble all the blankets around me; I don't want them flat and neat.

My teen girls will often make theirs if they have friends coming over. In those cases, sometimes that girl will get annoyed if the girl she shares a room with hasn't made her bed.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 11:11 am
Growing up, we had bunk beds, which can be much more difficult to "make" - especially the top bunks.

I vividly remember reading in a book around 6-7 yo about a character "making his/her bed" and asking my father what that meant. (I knew from context it wasn't literal, but still didn't understand.) He said, "In some families, they feel it is very important to make the sheets and blankets look nice every morning" (he may have elaborated more). I thought that was so silly, since it would just get messed up again, and clearly my parents felt that way, too, as it was never really mentioned to us. As I grew older, I did it myself when it started to bother me Smile

tweety1

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 11:34 am
Teomima wrote:
I couldn't care less about beds being made. My kids like to lay in bed and read (as do I) so it gets tousled during the daytime as well as being slept in at night. We all have better things to do with our time than make our beds.

Before seeing the results I was positive I'd be the only one voting " it never gets made". Boy am I surprised.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry