Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
History repeats itself

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 3:50 am
Time and time again!! We’ve come so far in terms of society, technology, and more and I’ve always wondered how as a society people can be so barbaric (Romans, Greeks, etc..). I still don’t see how, but I do see it happening. Not that our society per se is, but when there are enough people out there, it seems like so.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 4:59 am
yo'ma wrote:
Time and time again!! We’ve come so far in terms of society, technology, and more and I’ve always wondered how as a society people can be so barbaric (Romans, Greeks, etc..). I still don’t see how, but I do see it happening. Not that our society per se is, but when there are enough people out there, it seems like so.

Technology doesn't made a person less barbaric. It's a tool that sadly can be abused horrifically. You can be sure that any of our enemies through the ages would have made the same kind of use of it we saw so recently.

Now society...yes, we've come a long way. Or I should say the rest of the world has evolved to largely embrace the values this malchus shel chessed was built on. But a)not everyone has and b)these values are impressive, yet imperfect. They don't repair and polish middos nor do they eradicate the root of evil.

giselle

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 5:09 am
The nazis were very sophisticated barbarians.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:01 am
I was not disputing anything either of you were saying. I know technology doesn’t mean anything. People think moshiach came. I know they say it’s the inner peace, but when there’s so much around that’s not peaceful, how can they have such inner peace. Sorry, a little off topic. When you see things like this first hand or in your time, you realize what it means to be tikun olam.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:10 am
yo'ma wrote:
I was not disputing anything either of you were saying. I know technology doesn’t mean anything. People think moshiach came. I know they say it’s the inner peace, but when there’s so much around that’s not peaceful, how can they have such inner peace. Sorry, a little off topic. When you see things like this first hand or in your time, you realize what it means to be tikun olam.

People have managed to have inner peace in horrific circumstances. That doesn't mean we all could. As a survivor said, forget transcendence, you were just focused on your next piece of bread. But we can hope that if we wouldn't have had inner peace, we'd have emerged with faith intact.

As far as tikkun olam, have kavana in Aleinu. The true tikkun olam is in Hashem's hands. Our job is, as Rav Hirsch says in Bereieshis, la'asos. To take the materials and make something good and true with them for Hashem's glory. (Not his exact words, but this is the concept.)

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:13 am
yo'ma wrote:

People have managed to have inner peace in horrific circumstances. That doesn't mean we all could. As a survivor said, forget transcendence, you were just focused on your next piece of bread. But we can hope that if we wouldn't have had inner peace, we'd have emerged with faith intact.

As far as tikkun olam, have kavana in Aleinu. The true tikkun olam is in Hashem's hands. Our job is, as Rav Hirsch says in Bereieshis, la'asos. To take the materials and make something good and true with them for Hashem's glory. (Not his exact words, but this is the concept.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics