Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Gush Etziyon/Jerusalem places to consider?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:00 am
Hi Smile

We made Aliyah in August but I'm posting here because it is pretty clear that we would like to move in time for the upcoming school year and really--we are still feeling fuzzy about what options to consider. (And maybe this conversation will help someone else considering Aliyah.)

The short story is:

We made Aliyah straight to a yishuv in Binyamin. But it is becoming clear that we are just too far out. My husband's commute to where he worked in Jerusalem was hours each day and for many goods and services that I am used to (call me a spoiled American) we just couldn't get them, or there were challenges. We are also not super-thrilled with our kids' school--but if everything else was fine we'd stick with it in the name of stability. It is mostly my husband's commute that is just too much for us (we have little kids close in age) and general remoteness--I keep wanting to go to Jerusalem for various things but there isn't enough time while the kids are in school for me to get there and back, and also do my work at home that I need to do.

Now after corona caused the job my husband had to disappear, he is looking for another one, but in any case it seems that most of the job opportunities for him seem to be concentrated in the southern side of Jerusalem. So it seems we need to move into Jerusalem itself or Gush Etziyon. Or...?

The question is where should we be looking? We are considering Neve Daniel and Tzur Hadassah, but it's really just because we've heard of those places and they look pretty. We don't know very much about them (beyond the info on NBN website) or about what other places we should consider.

As an added twist: It's possible that he will get a really good job offer in Beer Sheva. If he does take that job, we most likely still want to stay in the Jerusalem area. But where would be best?

(If he does get this job, it will probably be more flexible than the one he had until now--so he can work at home part of the week and not have to commute insane hours every single day.)

We are looking for:
A place that looks nice. Reasonable city planning and/or nice nature.
That has convenient access to both Jerusalem, Beersheva, and maybe Beitar.
We're open to many possibilities regarding the type of people who surround us--prefer a Chabad shul, but not an absolute requirement.

We hope to have time in the next few weeks to visit and check places out, and I really welcome any thoughts or suggestions!

Thank you all in advance.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The question is where should we be looking? We are considering Neve Daniel and Tzur Hadassah, but it's really just because we've heard of those places and they look pretty. We don't know very much about them (beyond the info on NBN website) or about what other places we should consider.

As an added twist: It's possible that he will get a really good job offer in Beer Sheva. If he does take that job, we most likely still want to stay in the Jerusalem area. But where would be best?

(If he does get this job, it will probably be more flexible than the one he had until now--so he can work at home part of the week and not have to commute insane hours every single day.)

We are looking for:
A place that looks nice. Reasonable city planning and/or nice nature.
That has convenient access to both Jerusalem, Beersheva, and maybe Beitar.
We're open to many possibilities regarding the type of people who surround us--prefer a Chabad shul, but not an absolute requirement.

We hope to have time in the next few weeks to visit and check places out, and I really welcome any thoughts or suggestions!

Thank you all in advance.
I live in Neve Daniel Smile
Lets see, we have a small, but lovely, chabad community and shul.
We have bussing to jerusalem and with a car to beitar and beer sheva is fine.
Not sure what you mean by reasonable city planning.
What else would you like to know? Smile

chanchy123

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:32 am
I would consider Efrat and Tekoah as well.
The problem with places like Neve Daniel Tzur Hadassah and Eftrat is that while they are very close to Yerushalayim geographically traffic is horrendous. If your husband has flexible hours then that is perfect but if he has to travel during rush hour you have to add 30-45 minutes at least to travel time.
Beer Sheba actually isn’t so far from the Gush.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:34 am
Neve Daniel is lovely. Efrat is larger (also has a Chabad) and there are a few people who commute to Beersheva. It's about an hour's drive. You'll certainly have American products, though not as many as if you lived in the center of Jerusalem.

The area is an easy commute to Jerusalem, though rush hour traffic (in non-corona times) can be heavy. They are widening the road, though, so some relief is on the way. Beitar is 20 minutes away.

Housing is probably more than you are paying in Binyamin. Each yishuv in the Gush has its own vibe, so it's worth checking them all out.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:35 am
chanchy123 wrote:
I would consider Efrat and Tekoah as well.
The problem with places like Neve Daniel Tzur Hadassah and Eftrat is that while they are very close to Yerushalayim geographically traffic is horrendous. If your husband has flexible hours then that is perfect but if he has to travel during rush hour you have to add 30-45 minutes at least to travel time.
Beer Sheba actually isn’t so far from the Gush.
IYH when the tunnels are finished hopefully the traffic situation will be much better.

chanchy123

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:37 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
IYH when the tunnels are finished hopefully the traffic situation will be much better.

Yes. But that’s something to consider now.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 9:23 am
Thanks everyone!

Part of the calculation for us is that I think we would like to send kids to Chabad schools--whether in Jerusalem, or Beitar. So trying to figure out where is feasible.

It seems based on what you are all saying about traffic that if we send to school in Jerusalem, it would be smart to live in Jerusalem, and if we send to Beiter, it would be smart to live in that area--not try to get kids in/out of Jerusalem during morning rush hour--and if my husband does end up working in Beersheva, we should probably drop the idea of living/schooling in Jerusalem altogether.

Could we get out of intense traffic if we keep our morning school/work travels between Beitar (or nearby yishuv) and Beersheva, leaving Jerusalem out of it?

Or is the idea that there'll be traffic everywhere--also the other direction, towards Beersheva?

Please let me know if you see any gaps in my reasoning? I feel like I'm playing with so many variables that I'm not even sure what to ask.

Another who lives in Neve Daniel--thank you! I guess I am just wondering about the general vibe there. We did drive through and saw what looked like a lot of really beautiful big houses, with basketball hoops in the driveways... reminded me a lot of some modern orthodox neighbourhoods in the US. Is that what it is like?

Re the city planning I'm really just asking in contrast to where we live now, where we love the people but there's sadly just a lot of trash on the ground... I think there is very little money collected in taxes and it shows. And odd developments that hurt my eye to see.

We also passed through Tzur Hadassah. The old part is beautiful. A lot of green in a way that feels very natural. Houses seemed to have individual character and be private in a really nice way. I haven't seen many areas like that in Israel. But is it possible to live there as a regular frum Jew? I see there is a big reform presence there. Are there Orthodox shuls too? Anyone know? It seems so close to Beitar but what would life be like there?

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 11:36 am
I think that if you want to send to school in Beitar, it's best to live there. It's hard for kids to be in a neighborhood with no school friends.

I don't live in Beitar, maybe someone who does wants to chime in. It's pretty much all charedi. It's physically nicer than many charedi yishuvim, though it has a much more urban feel than Neve Daniel or Tzur Hadassah. There's excellent public transportation to Yerushalayim and within Beitar itself. You have just about all the amenities you'll need. I haven't seen too many American products on the supermarket shelves there.

etky

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 12:30 pm
Efrat (southern neighborhoods) to Be'er Sheva (University area) is an hour and a quarter give or take 5 minutes.
We just went back and forth today and traffic was light. It's a bit longer when there is traffic at the entrance to Be'er Sheva.
If you take 60 all the way down (through Hevron) it's quicker - about 70 minutes but the ride is a bit more fraught.

etky

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 12:31 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I think that if you want to send to school in Beitar, it's best to live there. It's hard for kids to be in a neighborhood with no school friends.

I don't live in Beitar, maybe someone who does wants to chime in. It's pretty much all charedi. It's physically nicer than many charedi yishuvim, though it has a much more urban feel than Neve Daniel or Tzur Hadassah. There's excellent public transportation to Yerushalayim and within Beitar itself. You have just about all the amenities you'll need. I haven't seen too many American products on the supermarket shelves there.

I totally agree.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 12:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Part of the calculation for us is that I think we would like to send kids to Chabad schools--whether in Jerusalem, or Beitar. So trying to figure out where is feasible.

I'm also chabad and am also planning a move this summer and am seriously considering Ramat Beit Shemesh Gimmel. There's a chabad beit knesset with a chabad gan nearby (boys and girls separate) and lifts (hasaaot) to RBS Beit where the schools are. I spoke with the shaliach and many community members and everyone has been wonderful and friendly

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 2:28 pm
Thanks all. We are definitely also considering living within Beitar itself. I have spent time there and know it a bit better than the other places in the area.

Practically speaking it would work fine. And I'm okay with more urban, and in fact in some ways even prefer it. However, I know it is totally chareidi and for various reasons we are not sure we would be comfortable living there. (Not that this is really the main thing, or at least it shouldn't be, but just for example--my husband does not wear the typical chareidi Chabad black pants/white shirt/black hat.)

So it's a bit tricky for us because we want the Chabad school, but are not sure we would be comfortable living in the neighborhood where the Chabad school is situated.

I agree that it would be better if the kids have classmates nearby but truthfully I think we would also manage fine without that, as long as we could get them to school and back relatively easily. Ideally there would be some kids going to the same school as them where we live too--I believe there are some kids in Neve Daniel who go to school in Beitar (I'm coming to doubt there are any in Tzur Hadassah). And ideally there'd be some friendly frum (English-speaking, at least for now) neighbors...

Just to clarify one small detail--I don't in particular need American grocery items. (Or rather--the things I want are very specific items that are not available anywhere in Israel, and I've come to accept that.) I am referring more to things like--and this is a big one for me, please don't laugh--the ability to hire a cleaning lady. Impossible where I live and although I can manage without as much help as I had where we moved from, I would really like to at least on occasion hire a cleaning service.

Amother who is planning to move to Beit Shemesh--thank you. I have heard good things about the schools in Beit Shemesh too. We really would like to stay in the Jerusalem area though. We have been considering living in the Jerusalem area while sending kids to Beit Shemesh though (I am the OP of this thread: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....90795) and maybe that does make sense... I am really not sure and would welcome any more input that you ore anyone else has.

And if anyone is starting to recognize IRL by now... hi! Smile

chanchy123

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 2:42 pm
I live in the Gush too, in one of the smaller more far out yishuvim. We have neighbors who send their kids to Chanad schools in Beitar. The kids here all go to different schools so it’s not a huge difference, they socialize with other kids on Shabbat and summer vacation. They are a bit more chareidi than the rest of the yishuv but they do things their way and like it here. We’re a bit of mix as to religious practice.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 2:36 am
chanchy123 wrote:
I live in the Gush too, in one of the smaller more far out yishuvim. We have neighbors who send their kids to Chanad schools in Beitar. The kids here all go to different schools so it’s not a huge difference, they socialize with other kids on Shabbat and summer vacation. They are a bit more chareidi than the rest of the yishuv but they do things their way and like it here. We’re a bit of mix as to religious practice.

Thanks! This is what I was guessing must be going on... Do you know how they get to school, are there enough of them to be a hasaah or are parents driving every day? Would you be comfortable sharing more details--could I pm you?

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 2:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Another who lives in Neve Daniel--thank you! I guess I am just wondering about the general vibe there. We did drive through and saw what looked like a lot of really beautiful big houses, with basketball hoops in the driveways... reminded me a lot of some modern orthodox neighbourhoods in the US. Is that what it is like?

Re the city planning I'm really just asking in contrast to where we live now, where we love the people but there's sadly just a lot of trash on the ground... I think there is very little money collected in taxes and it shows. And odd developments that hurt my eye to see.
No definitely not everyone has a basketball hoop in their driveway. Not everyone even has a drive way. What street was that? I dont even know of every oleh family having a basket ball hoop Smile Are you sure that was in Neve Daniel?
There is the old part of the yishuv, around for 30 some odd years and the new area that has been around for maybe half of that. The newer area has more olim (many americans but not only) and many israelis. SOme have built homes, some very big, others not so big, its a mix. Some live in homes built by the municipality. Its really mixed.
The yishuv is over all kept clean. Yes, there are times that it gets messy or teens had a party in the park and it is all left around, but over all, it is a clean yishuv.
In terms of off developments that hurt your eyes, no, most homes / apartment buildings are standard and normal looking. Although the yishuv is known for one house, built by its owner, that is known as the circle house or the space ship house, its literally round. We call it the jetsons home (from the cartoon from years ago Smile )

etky

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 3:36 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
No definitely not everyone has a basketball hoop in their driveway. Not everyone even has a drive way. What street was that? I dont even know of every oleh family having a basket ball hoop Smile Are you sure that was in Neve Daniel?
There is the old part of the yishuv, around for 30 some odd years and the new area that has been around for maybe half of that. The newer area has more olim (many americans but not only) and many israelis. SOme have built homes, some very big, others not so big, its a mix. Some live in homes built by the municipality. Its really mixed.
The yishuv is over all kept clean. Yes, there are times that it gets messy or teens had a party in the park and it is all left around, but over all, it is a clean yishuv.
In terms of off developments that hurt your eyes, no, most homes / apartment buildings are standard and normal looking. Although the yishuv is known for one house, built by its owner, that is known as the circle house or the space ship house, its literally round. We call it the jetsons home (from the cartoon from years ago Smile )

ha ha, the 'spaceship' is unmissable (to put it politely) but the family that lives there must have the most amazing view.
In general the view from Neve Daniel is absolutely stunning. We get 'view envy' whenever we go there.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 4:19 am
LOL yes we saw the "spaceship"! The look didn't bother me in particular even though it's not my taste (I appreciate the idea of homes being built individually by owner, vs. a developer who sometimes seem to design on computer and ignore the environment)---but it did worry me about to think about the implied money that must have gone into the large, custom-built houses. And not because I'm anti-money... would love a bunch myself... but a fear that in a place where there's a lot of money, there may be a lot of materialism too. Where we live now is pretty poor (possibly just standard Israeli, but feels a lot poorer than where we come from in America) and there's something very liberating and "right" about the lower standards that seems to come along with it.

I hope I am making sense and not sounding too judgmental... I just don't want to get back into the mindset that I'll admit I was in in America and less so here, where I was very concerned about I/my kids had/wore because everyone else was too (I'm not immune to peer pressure). So I guess I am wondering if living in Neve Daniel would be like being back in America for me in that sense.

And the basketball hoops... LOL so now that we've confirmed it was really Neve Daniel I was in (spaceship house)... yes, I really did see a lot of basketball hoops! I feel like it was at least 10, maybe 15. Don't remember which street, didn't notice names. And I'm not even sure what scares me about that other than this mental image I have of some modern orthodox neighbourhoods I've been in in America, with kids in shorts and tank tops playing basketball on Shabbos and it isn't the "flavor" of Shabbos I grew up with or that I want my kids to have (I'll be shocked anyway if they're into basketball as neither I nor my husband are sporty, but fine with me--just the whole image of it happening on Shabbos, in very weekday/sporty clothing, is not us). I hope I am making sense.

Thanks guys, it is helping a lot to talk this over and I hope I am not coming across as critical of anyone.

banana123

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 12:44 pm
Just going to add, even though I see you've pretty much decided - Otniel has people who work in both Jerusalem and Be'er Sheva.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 12:52 pm
banana123 wrote:
Just going to add, even though I see you've pretty much decided - Otniel has people who work in both Jerusalem and Be'er Sheva.
you could also check Chabad schools in Beer Sheva

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 4:32 am
Thank you both!

In the end it looks like the Beersheva job is not happening.

I will look into Otniel anyway, just because I have never heard of it! But it looks like BH we can keep our search for school and place to live to the Jerusalem area without taking Beersheva into account.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions