Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Working moms and playgroups

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 8:29 am
This is a question for working moms.
How far would you go out of your way for playgroup for your child? How much time?

Working full time and everything is a race against the clock as it is. Live in the city so I would be walking, because I don't think driving and dealing with pickup and drop-off and parking or using public transportation in addition to getting to and from work with public transportation doesn't seem doable for me. 5,10,20 min each way?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 8:32 am
I’ve done 15 minutes each way

tichellady

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 8:33 am
It depends what the options are. I’m not sure I understand the question. Are you saying how should you you weigh cost and quality over location?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 9:48 am
tichellady wrote:
It depends what the options are. I’m not sure I understand the question. Are you saying how should you you weigh cost and quality over location?

Yes, mam. (Well, not the quality part. That’s non negotiable)
It doesn’t look like I have much options close to me, so I’m wondering how much of a walk is doable. How hard I should be trying to find something closer.
Also, this is my oldest, do I don’t know what’s reasonable.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 9:49 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I’ve done 15 minutes each way

Thanks!

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 10:03 am
It will depend a lot on your other time constraints. If there’s 5 minutes between when another kid gets picked up by the bus and you have to leave for work, a 15 minute walk isn’t going to work.

It will also depend if it’s in the same direction as your work.

We do 10 and it’s no big deal.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 10:07 am
Don't forget to factor in weather. How long are you willing to walk in rain, snow, or humid heat?

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 10:45 am
Well I went with a playgroup that's near my work (30+mins away walking) and now the playgroup is starting up again but work isn't. Dh needs the car to get to work, so it looks like I'll have an hour round trip each day.
Be realistic as to what you can face doing-when you're tired, when the weather's bad, if you're not in work but you still have to get them, if you were pregnant or feeling ill.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers