Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Program that matches learning partners, not kiruv?

Do you like to learn with others?
Yes  
 15%  [ 6 ]
No  
 41%  [ 16 ]
Would love to, but I don't have time  
 12%  [ 5 ]
Would love to if I had a way to find someone with similar interests  
 30%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 39

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 12:09 pm
Is there a program that matches you up to learn with other women, not for kiruv? I feel like I've seen programs advertised over the years, but I can't find anything.

I already know about Partners in Torah and Torah Mates, but I'm looking for something where I, a fully frum woman, can learn with someone else at an equal or greater level of frumkeit and knowledge.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 12:24 pm
Partners in Torah does that
Just specify when you call

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 1:08 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Partners in Torah does that
Just specify when you call

Thanks

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 1:21 pm
Jnet

Rappel

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 1:22 pm
That's what we use partners in torah for Smile

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:17 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Jnet

What is Jnet?

wifeandmore

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:23 pm
Jnet!!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:29 pm
This? https://www.jnet.org/

Is it specifically for lubavitchers? I see it's done by a Lubavitch organization.

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:43 pm
Partners in Torah is not exclusively kiruv anymore. Torah Mates has a kiruv slant but I think officially they support all matches.

Frumme

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This? https://www.jnet.org/

Is it specifically for lubavitchers? I see it's done by a Lubavitch organization.

No it is not specifically for Lubavitchers, but yes, it is done by a Lubavitch organization. This is similar to Partners in Torah being run by Aish haTorah. So whichever you feel more comfortable with-- do you want a more chassidish or yeshivish slant to your learning?

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:54 pm
You have no idea what you’re missing learning with someone who is different than you. And many of the women ARE fully frum. Torahmates is awesome.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:56 pm
I don't believe that Partners in Torah is officially linked to Aish HaTorah.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:58 pm
I do it with partners in Torah. I am not as dedicated as I was 5-10 years ago when I had more time but we try to keep up every couple of weeks m.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:58 pm
Frumme wrote:
No it is not specifically for Lubavitchers, but yes, it is done by a Lubavitch organization. This is similar to Partners in Torah being run by Aish haTorah. So whichever you feel more comfortable with-- do you want a more chassidish or yeshivish slant to your learning?

I honestly don't know. I run yeshivish but enjoy depth and abstract. I'm really looking for the social aspect, since not having a social life is taking a toll on my emotional health lately Confused

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:59 pm
andrea levy wrote:
You have no idea what you’re missing learning with someone who is different than you. And many of the women ARE fully frum. Torahmates is awesome.

I hear TorahMates offers lots of perks, so it's definitely enticing. But I'm not really in an emotional state to be a mentor or an example to anybody of what a frum person should look like...just want someone who I'm not scared of dragging down.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:00 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
I don't believe that Partners in Torah is officially linked to Aish HaTorah.

It's Agudah AFAIK

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I hear TorahMates offers lots of perks, so it's definitely enticing. But I'm not really in an emotional state to be a mentor or an example to anybody of what a frum person should look like...just want someone who I'm not scared of dragging down.

So that’s not really my experience. You can reach out to me by pm if you want to talk further.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is there a program that matches you up to learn with other women, not for kiruv? I feel like I've seen programs advertised over the years, but I can't find anything.

I already know about Partners in Torah and Torah Mates, but I'm looking for something where I, a fully frum woman, can learn with someone else at an equal or greater level of frumkeit and knowledge.

Why don’t you just ask a friend if she wants to learn something with you over the phone every day? I’ve been doing that with a friend for a while. You can both study something from the chofetz Chaim’s books if you’re interested in learning about LH, or you can read a chapter from a book like Living Emunah, or any other topic you’re interested in, and then discuss.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:09 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Why don’t you just ask a friend if she wants to learn something with you over the phone every day? I’ve been doing that with a friend for a while. You can both study something from the chofetz Chaim’s books if you’re interested in learning about LH, or you can read a chapter from a book like Living Emunah, or any other topic you’re interested in, and then discuss.

See: not having a social life, above. Laugh

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 11:38 pm
I don't know of Partners in Torah's affiliation, but Project Inspire has a 1 to 1 program that is under the auspices of Aish, and Oorah has their TorahMates program.

I will ditto the above that I know some of them match frum people too, definitely Partners in Torah, maybe the others too.

Years ago there was an ad in Binah advertising such a service. I have no idea if it's still in existence, but the email address is torahkesher@gmail.org
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics