Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Are seminaries/yeshivas opening this year?

Rappel

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:07 pm
Just spotted this:
http://www.israelnationalnews......81292

So what does that mean for all those programs? Are the students covered under Masa ? (I saw something a while back that Masa Fellows have an exception.)

OBnursemom

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:21 pm
The articles I saw said that only single students currently in the air will be allowed in. No other exceptions.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:32 pm
Goodness gracious. That cuts out an entire industry. It's not like the teachers can stay on payroll on the off chance that things shift.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:34 pm
My single brother is in Yeshiva in EY. Does this mean he will not be able to come home for a long time, because he will be unable to return? How long is this for?

OBnursemom

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:36 pm
It said bochurim though. Nothing about seminary students.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:41 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
My single brother is in Yeshiva in EY. Does this mean he will not be able to come home for a long time, because he will be unable to return? How long is this for?

I guess he could make aliyah from within the country, and then return freely as a citizen. Otherwise, that seems to be the shape of things.

Last edited by Rappel on Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rappel

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:42 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
It said bochurim though. Nothing about seminary students.

Singles on a student visa

Aylat

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:01 pm
Why the distinction between married and single students?

Hatemywig

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:13 pm
Aylat wrote:

Just a guess: Married students have a home to live in with their family. If there is a spike in Covid cases, which is very likely due to current news reports, they can quarantine at home. Single people tend to dorm together and are more likely to go out and mingle with other people.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:14 pm
Aylat wrote:

Presumably because married students have their own apartments and will be more likely to quarantine properly than kids in a dorm.

Lita

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:15 pm
I think because it's easier for a married couple/family to shelter in place than singles in a dorm.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:42 pm
Really angry at this. My daughter is not in seminary but is doing a college program which it looks like she won't be able to complete this year. She has her own apartment so could easily shelter in place. (no kitchen but we could work that out I guess with food deliveries)

I would think it would be easy enough to make the distinction based on living accommodations, or at least give the option of paying to stay in one of the isolation hotels. I know a bunch of Israeli expats living in my city who flew back to Israel last week, probably to stay with middle aged or elderly parents. They figured since schools here are closed and they are working from home, why not fly to Israel? But why are they less of a risk then my daughter? They have lives and jobs and homes in this country. Right now my daughter's life and studies and jobs are in Israel, and she is being denied the right to be there.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:42 pm
I'm pretty sure it says bochrim because it's assumed that the seminary programs are done for the year, and there's plenty of time left in the yeshiva zmanim.

Last I heard, programs are planning to open and assuming this will not still be in force. But they know that they may need to open late (there's talk of after yamim tovim), and they may not have much notice on that. Also, the program may look pretty different, at least for part of the time. They will need to be set up to be in capsule mode. And I have no idea how this applies to the many teachers who teach at multiple schools.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions