Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Grab n go in Catskills
1  2  3  Next

greenteam

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:39 pm
Does anyone know if there any kosher grab n go places for school age children in the mountains

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:44 pm
Maybe Yeshiva of South Fallsburg has.
If there is, it's for students of that district only. Not for visitors from elsewhere. Just making you aware if your kids don't go to school in the catskills.

greenteam

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:21 pm
It doesn't seem to be so, as this is a Dept of agriculture program as can be seen from the Greece school district website in greece ny:
Greece Central Meal Distribution Program

Due to the unprecedented COVID-19 crisis, Greece Central will be providing FREE grab and go meals (breakfast and lunch) to all children ages 5-18.

Einikel

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:24 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
If there is, it's for students of that district only. Not for visitors from elsewhere. Just making you aware if your kids don't go to school in the catskills.

People who own homes in the Catskills actually pay school tax do maybe they are entitled? I really don’t know the laws but can this make a difference?

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:28 pm
Blessing1 wrote:

Isnt it federally funded? If that is the case then why would it not be for visitors if they are not picking up food from other federally funded places?

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:43 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Isnt it federally funded? If that is the case then why would it not be for visitors if they are not picking up food from other federally funded places?

It's government funded for the kids of their district. They get funds according to how many kids there are registered in district schools.
Many schools started giving for their students only because when they were open to the public, they didn't have enough for their pupils.

Last edited by Blessing1 on Wed, Jun 03 2020, 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:45 pm
Einikel wrote:
People who own homes in the Catskills actually pay school tax do maybe they are entitled? I really don’t know the laws but can this make a difference?

They don't have kids in the schools there, they get funding according to how many kids are in schools there.

greenteam

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:54 pm
It would seem from the competition of schools in Brooklyn and Lakewood giving out these meala that it is funded per meal not per registered child. There are even day camps that have Federal meal programs getting in on this in Flatbush. Unless you are 100 percent sure that outsiders are not eligible for this program, it is not very helpful to keep suggesting that nobody should research this for our community. As this can help thousands of Jewish children who can be fed.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 6:08 pm
greenteam wrote:
It would seem from the competition of schools in Brooklyn and Lakewood giving out these meala that it is funded per meal not per registered child. There are even day camps that have Federal meal programs getting in on this in Flatbush. Unless you are 100 percent sure that outsiders are not eligible for this program, it is not very helpful to keep suggesting that nobody should research this for our community. As this can help thousands of Jewish children who can be fed.

The city is paying for NYC meals at schools.. They prefer this route and it’s accessibility over food banks and soup kitchens. The Fed lunch program can reimburse a portion if its designated by the BOE. The Fed program is for income based individuals. A non-NYC dept of Ed gets federal and state funding based on number of students enrolled in their district. Currently there are orders and exemptions that allow extra expenditures but places don’t have to offer them.

Signed,

BOE, Fed programs, and state auditor.

aliavi

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 6:14 pm
This thread irks me. You go to your vacay bungalow in the Catskills while we are on lockdown but can’t pay or be bothered to feed your own children? Getting off Ima for the night....

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 6:24 pm
greenteam wrote:

Schools in Brooklyn and Lakewood started giving to their students only because people took advantage and abused the system. Once they're done giving to their own students, any extras is open for the public. The funding is given according to how many kids are in their school. So South Fallsburg schools get funding according to their students and it's not fair for non residents to go take food & there won't be enough for their students.
You can call up Yeshiva of South Fallsburg or any other school and ask about their policy. But I don't think it's fair or mentchlich to expect the schools in the catskills to provide free food for vacationers.

Zehava

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 6:33 pm
aliavi wrote:
This thread irks me. You go to your vacay bungalow in the Catskills while we are on lockdown but can’t pay or be bothered to feed your own children? Getting off Ima for the night....

Feeling better now?

greenteam

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 7:16 pm
I don't know why people have this hang up when others take advantage of services being offered to them . A simple Google search for USDA grab n go or summer food service program will show this is not necessarily an income based program or a city based program. It is a program that is offered throughout the country in different forms.
Now to get back to the original question without any need for arguments or not helpful opinions. Does anyone know of a kosher grab n go place open to young children in the upstate NY area. If a school doesn't offer it maybe a camp can.

All children and teens (age 18 and under) who visit an approved SFSP feeding site can receive meals at no cost. No registrations or applications are required. Meals are also available for people with disabilities who are over age 18 and participate in school programs for the mentally or physically disabled. https://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/nu/sf/sfspinfo.asp

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 7:26 pm
greenteam wrote:
I don't know why people have this hang up when others take advantage of services being offered to them . A simple Google search for USDA grab n go or summer food service program will show this is not necessarily an income based program or a city based program. It is a program that is offered throughout the country in different forms.
Now to get back to the original question without any need for arguments or not helpful opinions. Does anyone know of a kosher grab n go place open to young children in the upstate NY area. If a school doesn't offer it maybe a camp can.

All children and teens (age 18 and under) who visit an approved SFSP feeding site can receive meals at no cost. No registrations or applications are required. Meals are also available for people with disabilities who are over age 18 and participate in school programs for the mentally or physically disabled. https://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/nu/sf/sfspinfo.asp

Right, the program is not income based. All kids in NYS are eligible. But not all schools get funding for food for all kids of NYS. Every school gets funding for their district or pupils.
Call up Yeshiva of South Fallsburg, they'd probably have more information on grab n go in the catskills.

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 10:16 pm
aliavi wrote:

Someone could have bought a house there years ago (they're even pretty cheap, relatively) and now they've lost a lot of income due to covid while still paying their same fixed expenses.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 11:08 pm
seeker wrote:
Someone could have bought a house there years ago (they're even pretty cheap, relatively) and now they've lost a lot of income due to covid while still paying their same fixed expenses.

Even so, it's still not mentchlich to take free food meant for kids in their schools.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 11:11 pm
My understanding is that the NYC program is not typical of most school lunch programs because it offers free lunch to every student for various reasons including the high percentage of children who are eligible.

The extension of the program to adults is funded by New York City and really has nothing to do with school lunches and I don't think most places are offering free food in quite the same way although there are food banks in every area for adults and some cities have set up food delivery services (free) for needy seniors.

Also I would think that offering kosher food is unique to New York City because of the relatively high number of Jews living in New York City just as they offer halal as well. Again I would imagine that most areas would not offer a kosher food option because there isn't that demand in most areas - Lakewood and other places being an exception.

I would be curious as to how the very elaborate food is being funded which is being given out by some of the schools. I would imagine that there has got to be some kind of private funding that is supplementing any government funds.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 11:54 pm
We're getting free kosher lunches in Pennsylvania.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 3:26 pm
I heard Hebrew day school in Catskills might be doing it, anyone have more info?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 8:30 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
I heard Hebrew day school in Catskills might be doing it, anyone have more info?

Are you eligible if your kids will be getting food in daycamp?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries