Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Cuomo Announced Day Camp Can Open!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 10:21 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
I acknowledge that many people have lost jobs and can’t afford camp, but there are many people who are still working bH. Those people need camp in order to keep their jobs. My family isn’t helping financially. We’re not raking up debt bH. I finish work in 2 weeks so it’s not the end of the world if there’s no camp, but if I didn’t, we would have a problem. It would come to a point where I would have to quit my job for my kids. For many working parents, camp is less expensive than quitting their jobs.

Nobody is arguing that point. But no matter which boat you are in, it doesn't hurt to acknowledge things are hard for different people in different ways. And some people can't see past their own situation to realize this. It goes both ways, of course. No need to put others' choices down, on either side. People are very on edge for obvious reasons but before reacting impulsively or harshly it can't hurt to take a minute and think about why. And respond accordingly. I just wanted to point out something that is a valid point and has been mostly overlooked because of people doing the same thing they accuse others of--being self absorbed and not looking beyond their own situation.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 10:26 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Do you know them amount of children that died in the United States due to covid 19?

Wait for it.....

Zero.

But since you are such a good mommy, keep your kids home with you. I really couldn’t care less.

That's untrue, of course. The death rate is low, but not non-existent. There have even been 4 deaths of infants under the age of 1.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 10:48 am
I mean primarily the reason for day camps being reopened is because it goes hand in hand with reopening essential and non essential businesses
Parent have to have options for childcare if not reopening without that would be like shooting oneself in the foot if you will.
For moms who want to take more precaution or have second thoughts for other reason-unless you are going back to work and there’s a timeline perhaps you can play it by ear and regroup when we get to phase 3,4

keym

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 10:52 am
There's another group of mothers.
Those who cannot go to work because they're caring for their kids (as per PUA laws) but their jobs pushing them to come back; it's been 10 weeks so parents are hoping that daycamps will be able to open so they can go back to work before their unemployment runs out and before their boss loses patience and replaced them.
That's many of my friends and relatives.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 11:04 am
fleetwood wrote:
No they aren't! Parks are open. Buses are free. Go and enjoy!

Yes, buses are free. But shlepping a stroller onto that free bus, with little kids hanging on on each side... Not a solution for people with multiple little kids. So a neighborhood with no open parks, is just that. No parks.

cuties' mom

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:40 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
My son goes to a private school. Maybe they have more wiggle room to make a summer program?

Ds is also in a private school. I spoke to someone from the administration today since they are working on summer zoom schedules, and I asked what the difference is. She said that schools are under the DOE while camps are under the DOH. The DOH can open; the DOE can't.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:41 pm
cuties' mom wrote:
Ds is also in a private school. I spoke to someone from the administration today since they are working on summer zoom schedules, and I asked what the difference is. She said that schools are under the DOE while camps are under the DOH. The DOH can open; the DOE can't.

I don’t understand. What about the kids with 12 months IEPs?

cuties' mom

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:42 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
I don’t understand. What about the kids with 12 months IEPs?

Ds has a 12 month IEP. Officially, schools can only do remote learning because the DOE isn't open.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:42 pm
Make a few signs, have the kids get creative, and then pretty sure you can go to the playground so long as you shlep the signs.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:50 pm
cuties' mom wrote:
Ds has a 12 month IEP. Officially, schools can only do remote learning because the DOE isn't open.

Did he go to school or camp other summers?

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:52 pm
cuties' mom wrote:

Makes sense. Actually, it doesnt Mad .
Ds's school is not under the DOE so I guess that's why.

cuties' mom

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:55 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Did he go to school or camp other summers?

His school has a 12-month program. He goes to school. Now he has zoom every morning from 9-1. We try to follow his OT's daily schedule for the rest of the day, but I need to do each thing with him (oral motor 3 times a day, different exercises, etc) so I'm ready for school to take over the afternoons too.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:58 pm
cuties' mom wrote:
His school has a 12-month program. He goes to school. Now he has zoom every morning from 9-1. We try to follow his OT's daily schedule for the rest of the day, but I need to do each thing with him (oral motor 3 times a day, different exercises, etc) so I'm ready for school to take over the afternoons too.

♥️ Ya, tell me about this stuff... so stressful and time consuming (and um guilt inducing...) in any case I’m confused about the doe/doh thing. Just hoping we can petition these changes beh.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:06 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
That's untrue, of course. The death rate is low, but not non-existent. There have even been 4 deaths of infants under the age of 1.

The issue isn’t mainly the possibility of children dying. The main problem would be asymptomatic teens and children inadvertently spreading it to parents and grandparents. That has always been the main focus of isolation.

Einikel

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:19 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
The issue isn’t mainly the possibility of children dying. The main problem would be asymptomatic teens and children inadvertently spreading it to parents and grandparents. That has always been the main focus of isolation.

This why my pediatrician actually feels it would be safer for sleep away camps to open so teens are all isolated together.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 4:01 pm
Einikel wrote:
This why my pediatrician actually feels it would be safer for sleep away camps to open so teens are all isolated together.

I don't know if an impermeable bubble is possible, or realistic.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 4:32 pm
Einikel wrote:

And be their own staffers. Sounds like fun. I wish we had this when we were teens.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics