Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Are there any English speaking schools in Israel?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 12:29 pm
🤦‍♀️
We really really want to move but the language thing is a real issue.

essie14

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 12:36 pm
There's YTA high school in Jerusalem. Separate boys and girls schools, though the same name.

http://www.yta.org.il/girls/
http://www.yta.org.il/

How old are your children? Olim come at all ages and all get free ulpan.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 12:37 pm
I think there are a couple of 'international' schools which teach in English, but they are not frum, and may not be completely Jewish. They probably would not provide the education you are looking for.

Language is an issue beyond just school. Even in an English speaking enclave you need to pick up some Hebrew to deal with banks, the medical system, taxes, etc.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 12:40 pm
If you move to a neighborhood with lots of Anglo olim (eg, Gush Etzion, Raanana, some parts of Jerusalem) the schools will be equipped to help you. The yta high schools are an option for older kids.

Obviously, you'll have to learn Hebrew eventually.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 12:44 pm
essie14 wrote:
There's YTA high school in Jerusalem. Separate boys and girls schools, though the same name.

http://www.yta.org.il/girls/
http://www.yta.org.il/

How old are your children? Olim come at all ages and all get free ulpan.

Thanks! My kids are 7 months-17
Any elementary schools? Is this the only high school?

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 12:51 pm
Younger kids pick up languages very fast. Why wouldn't you want them to learn Hebrew?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 12:59 pm
They’ll pick it up eventually but I don’t want them to feel left out until they do.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 12:59 pm
Are there any Anglo communities in the north? We definitely can not afford the more expensive areas.

essie14

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 1:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks! My kids are 7 months-17
Any elementary schools? Is this the only high school?

Elementary aged kids will pick up Hebrew very quickly and get ulpan in school. It would be a real hindrance to have them in an English speaking school.
YTA is for kids who made aliyah older or who just can't make it in the Hebrew system. Most kids who come in elementary school do fine.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 1:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Are there any Anglo communities in the north? We definitely can not afford the more expensive areas.

Again, how do you affiliate religiously?
It’s very hard to recommend otherwise (it’s like we don’t know if we should recommend Lakewood, Williamsburg, or Teaneck to someone coming to America).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 9:02 pm
More charedi but we do watch videos. We were just recommended to start out in beit shemesh so the transition is smoother. Gosh it’s so hard to explore the unknown from so far away! Wish we could make a pilot trip but funds won’t allow that.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 11:11 pm
I think there is an English speaking school in Ramat Beit Shemesh. Problem is that community has difficult time adjusting to israeli society. They are almost like Americans.

tree of life

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 11:21 pm
Hi in ramet beis shemesh there are two high schools one girl one boy pm I try to help you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions