Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Living in Jerusalem area, sending to school in Beit Shemesh

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 4:32 am
Is this a reasonable thing to do? Anyone here do it or know firsthand someone who does this? For various reasons we want to stay in the Jerusalem area... but it sounds like Beit Shemesh schools are much more friendly to Oleh kids...

Thoughts? Areas in/around Jerusalem that would be more or less practical for this? (Gush Etzion?)

Success10

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 4:35 am
If you are looking for a chilled-BY style elementary with many anglos in Jerusalem, they do exist. There is also at least one option for chilled chareidi boys that I can think of.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 4:56 am
Thanks! We are Chabad. I haven't been able to find out much about how the Chabad schools in Jerusalem or Beitar would deal with American kids. I have heard good things about the Chabad schools in Beit Shemesh though, at least the girls'...

If anyone can tell me anything about the Chabad options in Jerusalem, that would also be great!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 5:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks! We are Chabad. I haven't been able to find out much about how the Chabad schools in Jerusalem or Beitar would deal with American kids. I have heard good things about the Chabad schools in Beit Shemesh though, at least the girls'...

If anyone can tell me anything about the Chabad options in Jerusalem, that would also be great!

If you want chabad, did you check the schools in Ramat Shlomo and Gilo?

essie14

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 9:44 am
TONS of kids do the opposite so it's definitely do-able.

mummy-bh

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 11:16 am
OP, you're welcome to PM me
We live in Jerusalem. I have kids who travel to BS and others who go to Bet Chana in Jerusalem

computergirl

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 11:18 am
Honestly that sounds so hard! mummy-bh how do your kids deal with it? Making aliyah and starting a new school is traumatic enough... but commuting for school must make the whole thing so much harder. like how did they make friends? Not being able to ever go over on shabbos, or hang out after school...

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:36 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
If you want chabad, did you check the schools in Ramat Shlomo and Gilo?

I heard that Gilo is very meshichist, it doesn't sound like it is for us. And I know that Ramat Shlomo goes up to fourth grade for girls...

I am hoping for some firsthand info about the various options.

Mummy-bh thank you!!! I will PM you.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Curious OP- about 1-2 years ago I asked about schools in Beit Shemesh and I was specifically told that the girls school is not good- specifically about the disrespect of the girls. Maybe things have changed but just fyi.

Beit Chana goes up to 8th.

tree of life

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:13 pm
Hi please pm I'm chabad live in ramet beis beit shemesh I can advise you

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 4:27 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Curious OP- about 1-2 years ago I asked about schools in Beit Shemesh and I was specifically told that the girls school is not good- specifically about the disrespect of the girls. Maybe things have changed but just fyi.

Beit Chana goes up to 8th.

Thanks for the heads up!

Don't know... I guess maybe different experiences by different people? Different ages/grades? My husband's friend was specifically praising the girl's school.

I think anyway we've decided it's not practical for us, so I didn't find out more.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 4:29 am
Happy birthday wrote:
Hi please pm I'm chabad live in ramet beis beit shemesh I can advise you

Thank you, I appreciate it!

At this point we've removed Beit Shemesh from our list of considerations, for practical reasons. I should have updated the thread... I don't need to find out more at this point, but I really appreciate the offer!

tree of life

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 4:39 am
If u change your mind need advise please pm hatzlocha

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 5:43 am
Thanks!

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 9:41 am
In general, always try to enroll a kid to a nearby school, especially in Israel. It's no fun to be the only kid who lives far away from his friends. S/he misses all the casual get togethers after school. And it's a hassle to arrange for them to go to birthday parties etc.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 9:58 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
In general, always try to enroll a kid to a nearby school, especially in Israel. It's no fun to be the only kid who lives far away from his friends. S/he misses all the casual get togethers after school. And it's a hassle to arrange for them to go to birthday parties etc.

Why is that more important in Israel than in other places?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions