Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Questions about making Aliyah with online income
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Rappel

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 4:43 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Correction a kitchen is not considered a room, a living room is. If you’re looking for a three bedroom apartment you’re going to want a four room apartment (because living room is a room). Sometimes they add a half room. Which can be a very small room or open area (we have an open-planned family room/area I’d add it as half a room if I were advertising my home since it’s not a bedroom with a door.

Ooh, thank you, I didn't know that! I've never rented off a listing.

Rappel

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 4:48 am
Well, assuming money is no object, here's a gorgeous listing in Har Nof, ground floor

https://www.yad2.co.il/realest.....popup

dbw

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 5:09 am
What kind of american online jobs can you do from israel that allows you to live in Yerushalayim or make $35,000 (I make about 1/3 of that)... just looking for ideas how to get out of that rut but no obligation to share if you don't want to....

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 5:38 am
dbw wrote:
What kind of american online jobs can you do from israel that allows you to live in Yerushalayim or make $35,000 (I make about 1/3 of that)... just looking for ideas how to get out of that rut but no obligation to share if you don't want to....

She meant dollars?

dbw

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 5:46 am
Seems like it, bec. she is making more than 6800 nis a month and she is getting high US tax refunds (I get almost nothing bec. I make too little money...in the US the more money you make the more money you get..)

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 6:37 am
I do all the background work and ghost write real estate appraisals for a commercial real estate appraiser.
If am licensed in NJ so if I was there I could make triple doing a bit more because as is I do most of the work - he just sees properties, takes pics, and then goes over it at the end. This allows him to take many more projects then he would have, and I make decent money with a flexible job( its very deadline based).

I am distantly related to my employer which is how I got the job - he trusted me because he knew me, I doubt he would just higher anyone.

Yes my accountant takes of a 1/3 of my rent and travel expenses (no car) and my internet - but we still pay a decent amount because dh is self employed as well.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 6:44 am
BTW 35k a year is only 10,400 nis a month - not really a lot. But it is a great job for a mom - I work when my kids are at school and when they go to sleep. I have put in all nighters to meet the deadline during very busy season or yom tov time, but I am happy. I find the actual work very boring but it works....

If you are interested in becoming licensed you need a BA, to be a resident of the state you are looking for license, pass the test, work for pennies for 1,500 hours(experience)....

It is a good career for a mother though - very deadline based

Maybe other states are easier

dbw

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 7:51 am
Thank you for sharing...And so if you aren't related or know an existing appraiser in the US- you can't really work from Israel, as it's not officially an 'online' job?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 10:31 am
Rappel that apartment is gorgeous! I didn’t say money is no object, I just said hypothetically if I wasn’t, because I want to know the different price points in different places without people censoring out the high cost areas. I don’t know what we can afford yet. My job can easily transfer but DH might have a harder time because he is with a US based company and it’s not a guarantee they’d let him take the job overseas.

To the ima who asked about wheelchair access, no my child doesn’t need that and I hope never will, but excessive stairs might be an issue. He wears adaptive devices and can walk and climb stairs but still tires easily. We’re working with him on gaining strength. If Israel would make us fight to get him the help he’s getting now and he’d lose months of therapies in the process or if there’s a chance he won’t get what he needs, that’s unfortunately a deal breaker for Aliyah as much as it breaks my heart.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 10:36 am
I’ve heard good things about Neve Yaakov but don’t really know any details. Can someone fill me in? What is the community like? Demographics? Cost of living? Ease of getting other places? Hashkafa? There are many English speakers there, correct?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 10:38 am
Last question for now, I’m assuming the monthly budget of 20k or so is after tax? How much would I need to gross in order to live comfortably? I’m not familiar with Israel taxes or other built in costs at all.

Success10

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 11:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Rappel that apartment is gorgeous! I didn’t say money is no object, I just said hypothetically if I wasn’t, because I want to know the different price points in different places without people censoring out the high cost areas. I don’t know what we can afford yet. My job can easily transfer but DH might have a harder time because he is with a US based company and it’s not a guarantee they’d let him take the job overseas.

To the ima who asked about wheelchair access, no my child doesn’t need that and I hope never will, but excessive stairs might be an issue. He wears adaptive devices and can walk and climb stairs but still tires easily. We’re working with him on gaining strength. If Israel would make us fight to get him the help he’s getting now and he’d lose months of therapies in the process or if there’s a chance he won’t get what he needs, that’s unfortunately a deal breaker for Aliyah as much as it breaks my heart.

Couldn't you pay privately for those few months?

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 11:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’ve heard good things about Neve Yaakov but don’t really know any details. Can someone fill me in? What is the community like? Demographics? Cost of living? Ease of getting other places? Hashkafa? There are many English speakers there, correct?

Lower Neve Yaakov, the original Charieid community, is Charieidi, many Anglos, many Baalei Teshuva. Older, not too many young families there. A very nice, out of town type feel. Off the beaten track type of folks. Bigger, newer apartments. About 4800 to 5300 a month for the type of apartment you are looking for, I think.

Upper Neve Yaakov, the mitchared. It was originally built for immigrants, and the Chareidim moved in, but many immigrants remain and it can be uncomfortable to live with them at times. Apartments are smaller and older. The families are mostly Israeli and mainstream, and very Chareidi. The upper area is much younger, arguably the largest young Chareidi community in Jerusalem. Tons of ganim, schools, chadarim, tipat chalav, doctors office, supermarkets. Quality families, tons of kids to play with. Not many Anglos. Prices are similar to the lower Neve Yaakov area.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 12:25 pm
Oooh I like the sound of Neve Yaakov! Out of town, off the beaten path is my highest preference!!

I don't think I understand the difference between lower and upper. Immigrants from where? Wouldn't I be an immigrant? We're the not youngest family around, no little babies, but no teens yet either.

How is diversity tolerated, specifically within religious practice? We are yeshivish, but when I hear "Chareidi" in context of Israeli communities, I worry I won't be up to par...

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 12:34 pm
If your child really needs a lot of services, you will probably be better off within the Jerusalem municipality. Smaller towns don't always offer as much. Perhaps ask nefesh bnefesh to put you in touch with a family that has faced similar issues.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 1:04 pm
I mean Russian and Ethiopian immigrants in the upper, Mitchared area. And the Chareidim who live there are more classic Israeli-chareidi, less open to marching to the beat of your own drummer.

Each area has it's own issues. The lower are has a lot of families with married kids who moved out already. Less young kids. The lower area is more open to people who don't fit the classic definition of Chareidi. This comes with pros and cons.

But the schools and Chadarim are the same for both upper and lower, and they are not particularly open to people who don't fit the definition of Chareidi. They expect you to not have an iphone, you should dress tzanuah (full stockings, short shaitel) your husband should be in white shirt every day and wear hat and jacket to shul. The chadarim prefer if the husband is learning, but not a deal-breaker.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 2:06 pm
I would speak to nbn and chaim vchessed - abou what you actually would be looking at -it really depend on what his special needs are.

I helped a family who's child had special needs who moved here because his disorder required a lot of physical intervention but he was cognitively perfectly normal and he would have needed to either be in a special needs school with kids much more cognitively disabled then him or in public school with no jewish education. Here he is in Meshi and thriving.

Chaim V'chesed can really help you figure out eligibility which is super important, its more of a matter of knowing what you need to do. If you know in advance then it may be doable

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 6:56 pm
His special needs are physical and cognitive. He needs services. Life is never simple, is it.

Is Neve Yaakov considered in the Jerusalem municipality?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 6:58 pm
Best way to describe his disabilities to people unfamiliar with his condition is that it's kind of like Down syndrome. Not exactly the same, but similar idea. There are cognitive and physical elements. He can function in life but needs a lot of support. He's a wonderful kid who has the biggest kindest heart, but to reach his potential he will need ongoing support and I'm not willing to chance Aliyah at his expense.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 2:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
His special needs are physical and cognitive. He needs services. Life is never simple, is it.

Is Neve Yaakov considered in the Jerusalem municipality?

Neve Yaakov is Jerusalem, yes. Try to follow the above advice about contacting Chaim V'Chessed to see if your child would get the right services here. Also, if your other kids are teens or preteens, you might need rabbinic guidance with the choice to move here. It can be a very hard transition.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions